@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgenstien View Post
well, I don't see an issue, all you did was summarize what you believe to be a problem, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the art/models of any champions with the exception of some of the older ones only because they're out-dated. In reality people want to use a character that they find appealing, I play a wide variety of champs, most of which I begin playing because I think their art looks cool.

Take my favorite champ Trundle for example, I know that Trolls are commonly known for their regenerative abilities, brute strength, and lack of intelligence, and I think RIOT's way of portraying Trundle was fantastic. Trundle's tribe was cursed to constantly decay and Trundle's regenerative power was the greatest amongst all of the trolls in his tribe, for this reason he took on the curses of his entire tribe to ease their suffering. Now, Trundle's "flesh constantly sloughs off his body, only to be re-grown in an unremitting cycle", that's so grotesque it's fascinating, I think RIOT did a spectacular job on his design! But for some reason in my mind females are associated with beauty, and if Trundle had been drawn as female character I'd probably find her to be a bit disturbing.

An important thing to keep in mind is that RIOT make's their profits off the purchases of skins and champions, and an ugly troll woman isn't going to sell, just in the same way that a male stripper skin (which was referenced in the OP) won't sell, and even if it did, a large number of RIOT employees would have to spend their time Drawing, Modeling, Animating, etc. for something that is most likely not appealing to them. Seeing as how RIOT makes logical decisions I wouldn't count on them asking their male employees to start working on a male stripper skin any time soon.

Realistically, what will it take for you to be satisfied with RIOT, and I'm asking what Exactly do you want them to do, because if you can't come up a good answer yourself than don't ask for RIOT to reply to you. If by chance you do have something in mind that you believe RIOT should do then please enlighten us. However, if this is something ridiculous that will cost RIOT more than it will earn them in profits than don't even suggest it.

I don't mean to come off as angry/disrespectful, but that's exactly how it seems you're addressing RIOT, and because I respect them as a company it upset's me to see someone accuse them of being sexist, you can't expect them to sink resources into something that they know won't earn profits.
Trundle is cited by Rioters all the time as one of the least popular champions because he is ugly. That's why they will not make an ugly female. But I'm not asking for an ugly female. I'm asking for something a bit more interesting than Battle Barbie. Age doesn't have to be ugly. Did you know Olivia Newton John is now in her 60's? She still looks amazing. Queen Latifa is considered beautiful, and she isn't petite. If America's Next Top Model can crown a plus sized model, I think Riot can afford to be a little bit more creative. I want a Baba Yaga. It's a very specific answer. I want a female version of Graves. I was Maleficent. I want Ursula. I want this guy http://dettoldisney.files.wordpress....ulan-shang.jpg

None of these will sink Riot as a company.I sometimes feel like people are implying that the game will go bankrupt if Riot launches a sexy man or gritty woman. Countless guys have stated in this thread that the looks of the champion doesn't matter as much as functionality. So if they make a granny champion with a great skill set, she will be popular, right?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drukyul

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
Countless guys have stated in this thread that the looks of the champion doesn't matter as much as functionality. So if they make a granny champion with a great skill set, she will be popular, right?
The closest we'll probably come to testing this is to see how popular Karma becomes post-remake.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Gurl gamer here ;3


ahem sorry

anyway, add malz to the sexy list. his shirt is open in a good way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bianary

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
Trundle is cited by Rioters all the time as one of the least popular champions because he is ugly.
I'd have thought it was because his mechanics are just relatively unsatisfying to use.

Maybe that's just me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Duarack5

Senior Member

10-06-2012

I understand your point of female champions being more sexualized than male ones, but that isn't a "bad" or "wrong" thing in every single case.

Zyra doesn't have clothes. Why? She's a plant that took over a human's body; she had no interest in clothing before, why have it now?

Eve and MF's clothing style may fit their personalities; they want to be deadly and sexy at the same time.

Now, I know that in the cases of Sona or Akali, the amount of skin they show seems a little ridiculous., and it would be more "correct" to have some male champions showing just as much, but I'm not going to get all up in arms over this issue.
This, along with the "Riot make a black champion!!!" issue, aren't of much concern to me. Should they be fixed? I dunno. Maybe. Whether they are or not, I won't care much, because neither has a huge impact on gameplay itself, and in the end, that's what I"m here for.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hope19

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Try being a trans-girl and playing league. Even if you do well its attributed to the fact that you have a biological male body. Even my friends still say "girls suck at league" even though I am one of the better players in our group >.> .


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmaresLuna View Post
So what would your solution for solving this disparity be, exactly? I read your entire original post, but forgive me if I don't read the other 54 pages.

Would you have blatant male stripper skins? What even defines attractiveness in male champions in your scenario? If your solution is simply less sexualized champions, as has been said IronStylus is already on it.
A woman who is middle aged or older would be a great start.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyalii

Junior Member

10-06-2012

I am a female gamer and there are obviously some issues with some guys treating female gamers like ****, if they find out you are female you must suck. But seriously in my mind that is the only problem I see. I don't get why riot is being harped on. I love the way the female champions look in this game. I want to play a sexy girl character like Zyra or a cute girl character like LuLu. I honestly would not play a female Gragas character because it just doesn't interest me to play a big fat ugly girl. While the outfits apparently are sexual for guys I just think they are cute and make the character attractive. I know plenty of other girl gamers who feel the same way in this game and others. I have never had a girlfriend tell me they didn't want to play a game because the girl characters were over sexualized.

I play other games like shooters and I am really excited when I get to play a female character because a lot of times you are forced to be male. The fact that riot has released so many champions is why I play LoL. There are plenty of girls to choose from to play and I think they have done a great job with the variety they offer. The gender issues that arise come from other players not riot and if you are a female gamer there is never any reason other people need to know that anyway.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

koticgood

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Females sexualized in media?! Surely not in our society!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspuun View Post
Not directly, no. But you look at the industry and the media as a whole, and it reinforces the idea that women are *** objects or secondary to men, even if it's just following the tropes that were put down long ago and not actively trying to be sexist.

And these tropes don't acknowledge that fat women or ugly women or old women exist outside of jokes and that random grandma NPC and that one hag enemy that you kill for 300XP. What was the last old/fat/objectively ugly woman you can think of that had a meaningful role in driving a story forward or otherwise central role?

The guys are allowed a much broader freedom in terms of design because no one's worrying about whether or not the audience is going to find them sexy or not, and this leads to painfully repetitive design for the female characters.
This. Sorry, I'm still reading through old posts. I just wanted to give time and attention to the people who I think really deserve it, no matter which side of the argument they take.