Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Legendary Silver

10-29-2013

Whoa, one whole study... said no one ever. If you want to masquerade sociology as science - it requires many, many studies that reflect the population of 'people who play video games'. Not one study of a single game involving a bunch of undergrads at a university.

There are a bunch of other reasons I dislike the study and don't like the mangling of statistics but I actually read through the conclusions and methodology.

I play this game to win, not to look at what my champions physically look like. The end.

Just Mid

10-29-2013

God who the **** cares? If you don't like the game then don't play it. So much *****ing and nagging on these forums.

Regina George

10-29-2013

My issue is that why is it always women that people complain about? Unrealistic female bodies? Have you seen the men here in League?

Criomhthann

10-29-2013

Quote:
Regina George:
My issue is that why is it always women that people complain about? Unrealistic female bodies? Have you seen the men here in League?

Because women have common negative stereotypes which are associated with sexualization where as men do not.

Perpetuation/reinforcement of attitudes is an important factor.

xProR2D2x

10-29-2013

Quote:
Hysteric Me:
As a girl, I have no problem with the way the characters are portrayed. It is the same way in reality. Girls are showcased in a sexual manner. It has always been that way.

/thread

As Itakagi always said: "Everybody loves t.i.t.s, even girls".

Glumduk

10-29-2013

Quote:
Regina George:

I think most people here aren't upset about realism. It's more about variation. Take a look at the design and silhouette of most male characters in League. There aren't any male models that could be called 'cookie-cutter', except maybe Jayce/Darius/Garen (similar body shapes). Female champions on the other hand could be averaged as a silhouette more easily, because they're mostly 'woman wearing different things' (Elise/Zyra/Ashe are good examples).

Riot is becoming increasingly aware of this, and they're taking steps to fix it. Over all Riot's design is improving.

Piggies Go Moo

10-29-2013

Quote:
CC Shepherd:

Here's a relevant case study: http://www.academia.edu/1865189/The_Effects_of_the_Sexualization_of_Female_Video_Game_Characters_on_Gender_Stereotyping_and_Female_Self-Concept

The line you'll want to look for is this, from the Abstract:

"Results cautiously suggest that playing a sexualized videogame heroine unfavorably influenced people’s beliefs about women in the real world."

I read the results of the study, not very convincing for three reasons:

1. It didn't prove that their beliefs were permanently changed by playing the sexualized video game heroine. It just showed that some guys answered less favorably on the questionnaire immediately after playing the game.

2. This is a very important line: "No significant differences were found for gender attitudes and beliefs about career/domestic roles." So while some of the men "reported less favorable attitudes toward women's cognitive capabilities than did participants who did not play a video game", it actually had no real impact on their beliefs about what women can and cannot do in society. In other words, it's not a setback for women's rights.

3. It didn't measure their ACTUAL behavior towards women, it just measured their answers on a questionnaire, which is less reliable.

lxlLilybellelxl

05-03-2014

^^ bump.