@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rosynne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Best thread I've seen on the forums yet. As a gay male who plays this game, it's a bit unnerving how the straight males (and indirectly, gay females) are catered to. There are a handful of handsome male champions, yet none of them seem to express any form of sexuality (aside from Varus, as he's always struck me as a BDSM kind of guy).
I think Olympiad Pantheon would be a first good step; I would request that he were dressed as all Olympiads performed way back in Ancient Greece, but of course nudity would be too much

Kaalika

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwahn View Post
While the ideal of variety is good, it tends to come at other costs.
Male champs have variety in body shapes that women champs don't have. What costs has this incurred for the male champs? Do peopel avoid buying or playing male champs because they're not sexy enough or because they have too much variety in body types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwahn View Post
Honestly though, I doubt the diversity would have any notable effect on the amount of female gamers playing league. It'd be cool to have, and we could hopefully fix the waist and spine problem, but the overall gain seems like it'd honestly be next to nothing to me.
No effect at all. That's why I, a woman gamer, bought Soraka first when she was ugly and refuse to play her now. If she'd been a more expensive champ I'd have asked for a refund based solely on the new splash art. The ingame art is a little top-heavy but the splash art hurts my eyes.

That's why the second champ I bought was Kayle, the only nonsexualized "adult female" type in the game. I bought Ashe of the sideboob, but at least her back doesn't look broken. I did buy Sona, who is possibly the most sexualized, however it was mostly because I love the musical aspect. What's this, I purchased a variety of champs?

Next champ I really want is Diana but I'm putting it off due to the cost of runes and rune pages for just one champ when most of my other champs are AD and already need a different set for Sona. Again, Diana, although beautiful, looks like a hunter in her splash art, not like a fetish fantasy.

That league has a few options different from every other game where the women have to only be sexual objects was a factor in my enjoyment of the game.

I resent feeling forced to buy a skin for a champion I already own in order to continue to enjoy playing her (Soraka). As a result of that, I'm not buying Riot points for skins and being much more careful about which champs I buy.

If you don't think it makes a difference, then you are part of the majority that every single game in existence caters to. LoL has enough of a base that a small percentage of variety will make a lot of people happier when we play.

NinetyNineTails

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I have no real brain-juice to reply to this aside from saying you have excellent points, I never thought about it that way, and good lord this is hilarious.

+1 to you, sir.
Hawkwing didn't call out Lee Sin in his detailed list, but anybody who says he's sexy without being sexualized in his default splash obviously doesn't actually like boys (which is fine, but...) 'cause that man, in that splash.... daaaaaaamn.

Rosynne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
I'd suggest you do it by making Princess Lissandra the Ice Dervish a REAL heavy-armoured brutal female barbarian type. Go with the heavy clawed gloves.
I always pictured Lissandra as a caster (even though the only image we've seen of her has her wielding a sword), so I'm not crazy about the idea of her wearing heavy armor! But I would love for her to have a grand, elegant, cozy, hooded robe (or something like it) to protect herself from the chill of her own icy spells!

Delsabers

10-10-2012

How about you just fix Trundles bugs first. Who cares about what they look like? I play champs based on abilities to win a game, not if they look cool.

Craptain

10-10-2012

I think Sejuani is one of the worst designs of all time. It goes beyond her being immune to the cold; her outfit is literally a helmet, boots, and a bikini. The Bikini has nothing to it, its pointless, weak, and lazy as far as design goes. It would have been way better to see her decked out in furs. Hell, Nidalees outfit has more forethought than Sejuani's, and Nidalees is pretty bad as well.

ZenCat

10-10-2012

I'll just leave this here.

When did "Sexy" become a bad thing?

Zerglinator

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosynne View Post
I always pictured Lissandra as a caster (even though the only image we've seen of her has her wielding a sword), so I'm not crazy about the idea of her wearing heavy armor! But I would love for her to have a grand, elegant, cozy, hooded robe (or something like it) to protect herself from the chill of her own icy spells!
Wait, we've seen an image of Lissandra? Where?

ZehNetoBR

10-10-2012

Everytime I see this sort of thread, I remember of Charlotte Christine de Colde, a character from the Samurai Spirits/Shodown franchise. She's is, in my humble opinion, the perfect definition of how a female champion can be good-looking, without being sexualized:

- Charlotte is attractive and she knows it, but is not even slightly interested in using such feats;
- Even though she has a nice body (as you can see from the official arts), Charlotte does not use skimpy clothes, for they have absolutely no purpose on battle;
- She's got a very strong personality and can beat you just as hard as any of the men (or demons) you'll find in the SS franchise, but she's got nothing to do with misandry or anything like that. She is still, deep inside, a woman, with feelings, fears and whatnots.

To sum it up, she doesn't show much of herself outside the battle, but the more she does, the more you want to see. Here's a picture of her for those who have no idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery...e-de-colde.jpg

Lovely Pants

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenCat View Post
I'll just leave this here.

When did "Sexy" become a bad thing?
I've read your thread, and while you make some good points about sexy and sexualization in both males and females I think you are also completely ignoring that the argument here is not against "sexy" but for a wider variety in the way females are portrayed in this game. Your analysis is not appropriate in this situation.

And, respectfully, I think you have a completely flawed view of what it means to be a "strong female character." I'm not poking fun at you, but I hope you can understand what exactly is wrong with the picture here.

Again, these are not characteristics of female design that are not also present in the design of male characters, but they are so prevalent in female character design that they become an observable problem to those of us who believe a wider representation of idealized and non-idealized body forms is a healthy and laudable goal in game design.