@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firellius

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jireo View Post
in that case, she reminds me of the marilyn monroe theme. however her face is ugly and they need to fix it. also its a holiday theme. who could you pick and what would you skin them as? i dont mind at all. they can put GP nude wearing a big box as pants if they want.
Well, farmhand Jarvan, obviously.

There's a big hoopla going on about unprepared Garen, which is significantly more in-your-face.

A jock skin perhaps, similar to brolaf but more sexy, less funny. Maybe Talon? Maybe Talon leaning against the wall, chatting up some girl/guy with a handsome smile on his face while his shirt fails to hide a well defined, trained body?

Vu Sugoi

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
Well, farmhand Jarvan, obviously.

There's a big hoopla going on about unprepared Garen, which is significantly more in-your-face.

A jock skin perhaps, similar to brolaf but more sexy, less funny. Maybe Talon? Maybe Talon leaning against the wall, chatting up some girl/guy with a handsome smile on his face while his shirt fails to hide a well defined, trained body?
oh quit it, you just want them shirtless and running amok!

Darkwahn

10-10-2012

Actually posted a semi srs post on 289. But I didnt call anyone a ***, so no one bothered with it.

Firellius

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jireo View Post
oh quit it, you just want them shirtless and running amok!
Actually... The shirtless is just a bonus.

The skin's theme needs to be "Sexy". Not "Muscles and power".

Yeah, the farmhand Jarvan or jock Talon skin would probably be just a bit hotter when shirtless, but the skins would also work as "Sexy" when they're dressed but showing off. Similar to how most females are "Dressed but showing off".

Sometimes it's hotter to leave things to the imagination, while throwing treats now and then to keep it occupied, keep it going.

Shaella

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
Actually... The shirtless is just a bonus.

The skin's theme needs to be "Sexy". Not "Muscles and power".

Yeah, the farmhand Jarvan or jock Talon skin would probably be just a bit hotter when shirtless, but the skins would also work as "Sexy" when they're dressed but showing off. Similar to how most females are "Dressed but showing off".

Sometimes it's hotter to leave things to the imagination, while throwing treats now and then to keep it occupied, keep it going.
Besides, its not like they can make a skin sexier than rugged garen

Firellius

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
Besides, its not like they can make a skin sexier than rugged garen
Too much badass, not enough sexy for me. He doesn't really get me going. Maybe it's the eyebrows...

Shaella

10-10-2012

I can't fully explain why
he's just hot as ****

Amatzikahni

10-10-2012

I thoroughly read every red post, and I think you guys are doing a great job. I personally play most of my games for the skill/competitive aspects, so I tend to ignore visuals and go for balance issues (which is why I haven't booted up Guild Wars 2 in over a week and I'm still afraid to touch Diablo 3 even though I know many issues have been resolved), but it's great to see that Riot is actively looking at all aspects of their game to make sure it's a success on every level.

Stomach God

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzoil View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but I have read some of the stuff that Ironstylus has addressed in this thread. To me, what is being stated about character design is very interesting. And I like to see the thought process being made in the riot feedback.

I want to address specifically character designer about how they are pushing proportions over shapes and it would be helpful to go back to pushing the basic shapes: Triangles, Circles, and squares. If you go back to early female character their shapes were pushed immensely to tell the story of the character with their silhouette alone. As an example, I am going to compare MF to Zyra (Old good design vs New Bad design [shape wise]). MF is very well designed character and her shapes represents her personality. She is an energetic female that runs into action and displays her presence. In short, she is a very active female. The designers pushed an abundance of triangles onto her shape.
It's best to address this in a bullet point format, so the list is as follows:
-triangle hat
-triangle lip of her boots
-triangle boot point
-triangle cloth around her forearm
-triangle thigh (her knee is abnormally small)
-Her stomach is a triangle (wide hips, skinny ribs)
- All the pushed triangle shapes of her overall volume are pushing up into her face and out through her hat making a statement that she is outgoing person.
-To represent her sturdiness in the face of danger, her torso is squared and shock and aww are squarish cylinders.
MF is one of my favorite designed female champs. Also, she WAS well animated. I will address that when animation is a topic, till then I will stick with character DESIGN.

Now lets break down Zyra's personality and Design. Zyra is an old mythical creature that captured an unsuspecting victim and took over their body. Zyra is an introvert in nature because of her life as a plant, and she is a smart creature that plots out her actions and executes them. Her design makes her look extrovert, energetic and bland. It's going be hard to break down the shapes of this character because her design is muddy, so I will try to point out her overall shape:
-Square Stomach
-Square torso
-parallelogram thigh (they are kind triangle too, it's very confusing)
-parallelogram calves (they are kind triangle too, it's very confusing)(Also, the legs are too skinny for a character that has been "rooted" for most of it's life, If anything her legs should be much bigger then the rest of her body, not lankier)
-Squared bicep
-Triangle Forearm
- Roundish triangle thorns (a very bad decision on a sinister character)
-Triangle head (point downwards, a very strong decision about a character that is "rooted")
-Overall she is top heavy which is counter intuitive to her lore and her personality. I could be wrong, and that's a problem when it's not clear in the character design.

MF shows that the character designer made strong decisions about her shape and how the shape represents her personality. On the other hand, Zyra is a bad example of effective character design, it feels like strong decisions of her personality and shapes were note made, and it shows. I am sure you guys put equal amount of time into both. But it shows that the older champion design was asking all the right question, how can we convey her past and personality with shapes. And the new champions shows that the character designers were asking the wrong question, how could we make her more plant like? instead of how to tell the story of the character using shapes.

Also, stop making male character that are primarily V shaped torso.

Anyways, this is my two cents, and I hope it was clear. And, It's hard to write about the conceptual psychological property of shapes and how to correct character designs to reflect a stronger knowledge of the subject. On a personal note, I am currently delving deeper into my understanding of the topic myself.

TL;DR Please push the basic shapes of champions.
I will admit i havn't read all the posts since this so i don't know if someone has already said this, but when i look at Zyra's splash art, yes, i can see she is top heavy, and i can also see she is a plant-human, her pose trys to show her as top heavy and spread, like the above ground part of a tree. This makes sense since she has in fact left the ground and so is on the surface, so is the top of the tree, she is the trunk and branches, not the roots. This also fits in with her comments, such as when she says "wait until my seeds take root", this implies she is once again, the top of the tree, letting down her seeds to spread...
Basically, im saying that Zyra's body shape and pose actually ARE good design and tell us alot about how she is now... without roots and free to wander the world, her design tells us her theme and story... so it is in-fact good design by Riot.

I do agree with your MF posting tho, well thought out and explained...
p.s. sorry if i havnt explained that very well =P

RetroNitro

10-10-2012

I love this tread.... i think we also need to see a new bald female skins... i know a girl who plays who has Cancer and lost her hair. i think it would be good for moral... along with champs who don't have skins yet getting some. and i agree with needing less ****ty skins, some ****ty are nice but we don't need all the skins to be ****ty...