@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whiteglint3

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Let me just point out that Irelia's armor, which exposes everything from the chest up, is still primarily a costume. We accept it because we don't get access to anything better--like, say, this:

http://mikeypetrov.deviantart.com/art/Magic-5-329582704


That there's anatomical realism, and then there's fantastic imagery...and then there's outright ridiculousness.
that armor is essentially what Riven is.

and the entire concept Ezreal also looks alot like (and ezreal is so feminine as to be genderless)... so we DO have that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whiteglint3

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
I was speaking purely in terms of realism. If we want prettier armor that's still realistic, I have plenty of examples of that too, such as:

http://anndr.deviantart.com/art/Captain-317072827
this game cannot afford to have everyone in realistic armor, literally, as much as I love realistic armor (its why Elite Knight armor in Dark souls is my favorite video game armor of all time) and love this idea, the general populous would RIOT if everyone was in knight armor and doublets and surcoats.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteglint3 View Post
that armor is essentially what Riven is.

and the entire concept Ezreal also looks alot like (and ezreal is so feminine as to be genderless)... so we DO have that.
Riven is a fantastic champion from art design perspective (at least since her new default splash), much like default Diana. I assume you're referring to her Redeemed skin. And you're right, I should say "We only get access to anything better EXTREMELY RARELY." Doesn't change the basic point about lowered standards for lack of access to better material.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteglint3 View Post
this game cannot afford to have everyone in realistic armor, literally, as much as I love realistic armor (its why Elite Knight armor in Dark souls is my favorite video game armor of all time) and love this idea, the general populous would RIOT if everyone was in knight armor and doublets and surcoats.
Well, isn't it a ****ing good thing I never said everyone should be in knight armor and doublets and surcoats, then?!

****'s sake, man. I give an EXAMPLE of good-looking realistic armor and you pretend that MUST mean I want EVERYONE in that armor.

I'm having ****ing deja vu from this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
That much is plain, since you STILL think my shtick is just to dress every champion in plate, when really my shtick is really much more like that old fan fix to Sona's splash art that was exactly the same except it moved the fabric line on her chest up about three inches.

My fix to Fiora would not be to dress her in plate. It would be to have her in a serious fencing pose.

My fix to Akali would not be to dress her in plate. It would be to have her garment go all the way around her body.

My fix to MF would not be to dress her in plate. It would be to give her realistic body proportions to go along with her substantial endowment and a posture that doesn't hurt her spine.

My fix to Leona...might be to dress her in more substantial armor, like what happened with Iron Solari Leona, but you can see how this is not a solution that I would apply in every situation, because plate armor is often just as unsuitable for the champion as complete nudity.

I find it frankly pathetic that you can still misrepresent my position like that after two hundred pages of discussion, after I have emphasized over and over and OVER again that I am not opposed to attractive female champions, or even sexy female champions given the appropriate lore, or even fanservice skins like Battle Bunny Riven in their specialized place.

It shows that you don't actually care what I think, only that I disagree with you. From there you turn on the blinders and automatically assume I'm radically opposed to everything that's reasonable, because after all, if you aren't standing for all that's reasonable, that might mean you're wrong, right?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I aM Salvation

Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Welp, you'll see it when we release it. I also am pretty sure I know that I know female champions don't have to be "sexy". "Sexy" is actually the worst generalization you can throw around because of all the vast opinions on what is so. My version of sexy is probably a far cry from yours. Please don't generalize or assume to know my preferences. I have a feeling you have no idea what I think.
Pretty tangential to what is going on, but I would just like to say that Leona is by far the sexiest character in the game. Alright, now that I've said that I shall be on my merry way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Also, Whiteglint3, I KNOW you saw this post because you posted all around it, and it's OBVIOUS from the post that I'm not talking plate armor for everyone, so kindly put a sock in it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whiteglint3

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Also, Whiteglint3, I KNOW you saw this post because you posted all around it, and it's OBVIOUS from the post that I'm not talking plate armor for everyone, so kindly put a sock in it.
of course I saw them, a few are just straight characters, but most are rather generic designs (not exactly worthy of entire champion concept for "kimono samurai chick")

in a game like league, the designs have to be fantastic/over the top/incredibly bad-ass or something, they cannot be just "chick in armor" she has to have a catch, a gimmick.

the chick with the steam-punk wings was really it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garlic Prawn

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Oh, just thought of something else.

If anyone's heard of Power Instinct / Gouketsuji Ichizoku...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CowMeat

Senior Member

10-08-2012

My vote is to either a) seuxalize all champions regardless of gender by default, or b) sexualize non of the champions by default and then create sexy skins that players can unlock.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteglint3 View Post
of course I saw them, a few are just straight characters, but most are rather generic designs (not exactly worthy of entire champion concept for "kimono samurai chick")

in a game like league, the designs have to be fantastic/over the top/incredibly bad-ass or something, they cannot be just "chick in armor" she has to have a catch, a gimmick.

the chick with the steam-punk wings was really it.
True enough; they were counterexamples to someone else's claim that you can't portray attractive women without sexualizing them in someone's eyes, not exact templates for future champion design.