@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lolily

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Beyond some minimal tweaks I might personally make, I'm in love with her splash art. Sorry. I think it's extremely dynamic and even playful as Lux should be. Some anatomy issues aside I'm very fond of it.
I think you can capture Lux's playfulness through another, better pose. The anatomy really detracts the original feel from me, which makes me believe she looks more crazy than dynamic.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

10-07-2012
46 of 61 Riot Posts

Wow, really good thread you've got here OP. Great analysis, great points, great discussion. I'd just like to hop in and let you know that Parrot Man is not the only one in the company thinking about these issues. I've been concerned about this stuff since I started playing the game post Malz patch and, now that I'm at Riot, am hoping to address some of those concerns. How? By working with artists and animators to make awesome and thematically cohesive champions.

I'm designing a female champ as we speak. I can't say much about her (she's still a long way off) but what I can tell you is that I'm working really hard with the rest of the team to make sure she's totally great and that everything on her "fits", be that looks, gameplay, animations or whatever. She's going to be attractive no doubt, but at the end of the day that attraction factor is going to stem from things that make sense and end up enhancing her character. Is she going to be perfect? Well, I'd like her to be, but I'm sure there's things we've missed that could have been done better. I'm still a rookie and I have a lot to learn. Still, these conversations are being had. We're thinking about gender issues here at Riot. Wish I could say more but you're just going to have to trust me. We've got some amazing women in the (far off) pipeline.

Męw

10-07-2012

Iron I love you so much for taking into account this issue

Please give me another champion like Diana <3 And design more beautifully unique females.

...wonder if Riot can make a flat-chested girl sell, ha.

Reality Star

10-07-2012

Bringing up Lux, I was wondering if you could comment on the aesthetic of some of your newly done female artwork?

Morgana, Lux, and somewhat Miss Fortune all seem to have jagged, sharp-angled, tiny waists. Morgana being the worst offender. I can't help but cringe every time I see a Morgana in the loading screen because it looks like she is dying, as if her top half is seconds away from snapping off from the bottom. Perhaps its poor angle reading on my end, but these champions don't look pleasing, or even healthy.

I've always been pretty pleased when it comes to the way our females have been presented, but this new style is waving some flags and I'd really hate to see it become a trend.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-07-2012
47 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Wow, really good thread you've got here OP. Great analysis, great points, great discussion. I'd just like to hop in and let you know that Parrot Man is not the only one in the company thinking about these issues. I've been concerned about this stuff since I started playing the game post Malz patch and, now that I'm at Riot, am hoping to address some of those concerns. How? By working with artists and animators to make awesome and thematically cohesive champions.

I'm designing a female champ as we speak. I can't say much about her (she's still a long way off) but what I can tell you is that I'm working really hard with the rest of the team to make sure she's totally great and that everything on her "fits", be that looks, gameplay, animations or whatever. She's going to be attractive no doubt, but at the end of the day that attraction factor is going to stem from things that make sense and end up enhancing her character. Is she going to be perfect? Well, I'd like her to be, but I'm sure there's things we've missed that could have been done better. I'm still a rookie and I have a lot to learn. Still, these conversations are being had. We're thinking about the gender issues here at Riot. Wish I could say more but you're just going to have to trust me. We've got some amazing women in the pipeline and every release is viewed as a learning opportunity.
I may also be working on said champion.....

Gypsylord deserves "mad props" as the kids say by the way! He is a man of vision.

Nyarii

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
all women are trained in girl-fu, a style of fighting based on dancing around and taking your clothes off to distract men before disemboweling them

it's highly ineffective, but our male overlords kinda force us
Well, ****. Did i somehow miss this class? =/

L2 Sentinel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
End result of this thread for me: greatly increased respect for IronStylus.

Still think Riot is a male dominated company making a misogynist product (unintentionally, perhaps), but I like this guy. I think he's on the level.
End result of this thread for me is that I feel like the hours of work I put into it will pay off, the insults and abuse I endured were well worth it, and my faith in Riot is justified.

Rushinq

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

1996 post

Męw

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
End result of this thread for me is that I feel like the hours of work I put into it will pay off, the insults and abuse I endured were well worth it, and my faith in Riot is justified.
No, we really needed this. Your work and paragraphs of explanation and detail are very appreciated. I myself haven't known how to react to the sexualization of females for a long time, since it's become common in all the videogames I enjoy...

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-07-2012
48 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
You did do a lot, though I want to make sure we recognize how much this topic has been brought up over the years and how much spirited discussion has revolved around it. We will still be working on it for a while, we are iterative and we evolve. I'm just glad, as you've said, that we don't annihilate this topic into a smoking pile of downvotes anymore.

I want people to be comfortable talking about it, I want people to feel welcome in this game, and i want people who dismiss the issue to know that it is actually an observable pattern for better or worse and that it deserves a serious look and action by us.