@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

10-07-2012

I am a fencer and I've never been in the same pose as Fiora, ever. Also, her stance in-game is terrible. She has no balance.

Her chest armor is like the chest guard women wear under their uniforms, though. Molded boob-cups and all, but...it is worn beneath the white uniform. Wearing it on top of the uniform would lead to blades getting jammed beneath it and causing injuries.

Best Philosopher

10-07-2012

I actually read the entire thread ( which I don't normally) I was impressed with it, first one to make good arguments for this kinda change. All that being said I agree with 99.9% with what you said. I wouldn't mind playing, Olga as a champ or something like leona or classic riven which I play religiously

SpaceDink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Because only the best get in to the League

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I am a fencer and I've never been in the same pose as Fiora, ever. Also, her stance in-game is terrible. She has no balance.

Her chest armor is like the chest guard women wear under their uniforms, though. Molded boob-cups and all, but...it is worn beneath the white uniform. Wearing it on top of the uniform would lead to blades getting jammed beneath it and causing injuries.
That's probably because she actually fights unlike a modern day fencer who just does it as a sport.

Fencing has strict rules applied to it since it is nothing more than a sport. Fiora may be inspired by fencing, but she does it how she wants because she's in it to kill her opponents. Maybe her poses were developed out of experience. Fiora doesn't have to worry about rules. Not to mention...your rules and poses for fencing are developed purely by Earth humans, she lives in Runeterra.

Look at Miss Fortune firing her two guns. Anyone whose fired a gun before knows that she's not doing it right. Or look at Lee Sin and how typical martial artists work.

Rhookie Miztakes

10-07-2012

Also different body types doesn't have to just mean "buff as hell/fat", what about female champions that just have very odd, alien physiques? Like how the Eldar/Dark Eldar in 40k are very tall with very very lean and lanky, athletic and almost androgynous bodies. Or the xenomorphs from Alien/Giger, and how they have very feminine yet strong and downright unnervingly inhuman bodies. Stuff like that could open up a lot of creativity in champion ideas and designs and give people stuff that also looks really cool and interesting, so it won't have to be "Helga the obese Viking" as the only idea.

GaafGrohiik

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrona View Post
No one replied because you weren't worth replying to. You were too obvious at trolling, and stating that you are more logical than everyone else does not make it true.

However, since you want one so badly, I guess I can reply to you:

You are making many assumptions with no factual basis and using this to try to dismiss an argument. So, your logic is actually quite bad because you have failed to address the argument at all. You're just going on about how we should keep our opinions to ourselves because... I'm not sure, I guess your point is that no one at Riot cares or that no one at Riot should care. Well, IronStylus cares, so the first point simply cannot be true. The second is an opinion that I would argue is not a logical stance because Riot does take pride as a company that listens to and takes input from its community.

I also must point out that, if your assumption that this whole conversation is stupid is true then you are surely wasting your time by replying to it. So, move along, because no one cares and should care, right? So, why do you care?
I wasn't trolling at all. I just hoped my being blunt and lots of *-worthy words would appeal to the majority of GD readers.

The point was that any woman complaining about females being "over-sexualized" in a video game are simply looking for something to complain about. All it does is open up the doors for the white knights and neckbeards to throw in their retorts.

A woman with a strong sense of identity wouldn't be affected by it. Those that claim it does affect them negatively are simply looking for something to complain about - a common habit of the stupid, and toddlers.

I care enough to post because these characters are created by artists - and who the **** are you to tell an artist what they should and shouldn't create? Why should they have to take your insecurities into account when they work?

Gunxlinger

10-07-2012

I haven't seen a lot of fencing and Fiora splash DOES give you the idea that she is a fencer. If you dont see that you need help.

Nowhere2Run

10-07-2012

Also author is very tunnel-visioned about what making a non-sexist game.

Who in the world said that a self-empowered woman that is strong, indepedent can't be sexy and wear what she wants????????????

Best Philosopher

10-07-2012

[QUOTE=GetOwned247;29994983]Also different body types doesn't have to just mean "buff as hell/fat", what about female champions that just have very odd, alien physiques? Like how the Eldar/Dark Eldar in 40k are very tall with very very lean and lanky, athletic and almost androgynous bodies. Or the xenomorphs from Alien/Giger, and how they have very feminine yet strong and downright unnervingly inhuman bodies. Stuff like that could open up a lot of creativity in champion ideas and designs and give people stuff that also looks really cool and interesting, so it won't have to be "Helga the obese Viking" as the only idea.[/QUOY

You make a good point

MathMage

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
That's probably because she actually fights unlike a modern day fencer who just does it as a sport.

Fencing has strict rules applied to it since it is nothing more than a sport. Fiora may be inspired by fencing, but she does it how she wants because she's in it to kill her opponents. Maybe her poses were developed out of experience. Fiora doesn't have to worry about rules.
Fiora's pose is far LESS capable of actual fighting than sport fencing poses. That's a terrible excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Look at Miss Fortune firing her two guns. Anyone whose fired a gun before knows that she's not doing it right. Or look at Lee Sin and how typical martial artists work.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic here, but MF isn't exactly an example of serious champion splash art, and Lee Sin's splashes are actually posed quite well from a martial arts perspective (especially the authentic Muay Thai move on that Lee Sin skin).