Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sybil Cut

10-07-2012

Quote:
Rauhel:
There is such a thing as too much muscle. Ladies go see Chippendales, they don't watch Mr. Universe. Tryndamere is way past the threshold of what is conventionally attractive, which makes him more comparable to Gragas. If you can name a champion that has a chance of being a male fashion model and showing off their body, then you have a point.

Pantheon. Lee Sin. Kassadin. Varus. Malzahar.

My question about Riven was not rhetorical.

StunnedandSlayed

10-07-2012

Diana, Riven and Vayne theres your ugly champs. Now shut up.

Ensig

10-07-2012

ok first of all, i know a lot of girls that play league, and none of them care about this issue. but what i really want to point out is most of them only like playing the female champions anyways. and the girls i know that are serious about this game, could REALLY careless about this. this is not a problem in the community, just a problem for op. if op wants to be "aesthetically pleased" there are plenty of websites on the internet for it.

Cpt Phoenix Down

10-07-2012

Quote:
MathMage:
Are you seriously arguing that stripping, a profession that is ALL ABOUT sexualization and titillation, cannot be considered more sexualized than Spartan warriors? Because that's just flat-out ridiculous. Your retreat into subjectivity is entirely baseless.

This is not to say that Spartan warriors CANNOT be sexualized. If you want an example of that, look at Ruthless Pantheon in contrast to the default skin. It's entirely obvious what the difference is.

I'm not a fan of stripperriffic skins, but I can put up with the occasional obvious fanservice skin, and I'm willing to classify Ruthless Panth alongside Kitty Cat Kat and Battle Bunny Riven. It's the obvious difference in how sexualized the supposedly serious skins for female champions are that annoys me.

Someone never watched He-Man growing up. Ruthless Pantheon is obviously He-Man. Sure the angle of the picture shows off his crotch a bit but that'd be like arguing that Vayne's default skin's pose is hyper sexualized. The majority of players that are interested in males probably would not be interested in someone that looked like ruthless pantheon.

Sunwise

10-07-2012

Quote:
davin:
Somewhat recently, Flemeth's design in Dragon Age II pulls this off pretty spectacularly. What a badass (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kiasa.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F03%2Fflemeth.jpg)!

I cannot +1 this post hard enough. This wallpaper (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.gameinformer.com%2Fimagefeed%2Ffeatured%2Felectronic-arts%2Fbioware%2Fwallpapers%2FyyyDA2_Flemeth_1920x1280.jpg)remains one of my all-time favorite images, and I would be completely happy if Riot just grabbed her and stuck her directly into the game. Of course, I'll be happier, because they wouldn't do that, and would instead do something original with that inspiration.

(Also +1s all over for IronStylus, who remains my favorite Rioter, but at this point I don't even have to say that anymore, or I'm gonna start sounding like a broken record.)

Gunxlinger

10-07-2012

Quote:
Rauhel:
There is such a thing as too much muscle. Ladies go see Chippendales, they don't watch Mr. Universe. Tryndamere is way past the threshold of what is conventionally attractive, which makes him more comparable to Gragas. If you can name a champion that has a chance of being a male fashion model and showing off their body, then you have a point.

Most mentioned champions have the ability of being male fashion models and showing off their body. If you dont have a personal preference in them doesnt mean they should be changed.

L2 Sentinel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Kaèl:
Pantheon. Lee Sin. Kassadin. Varus. Malzahar.

My question about Riven was not rhetorical.

I don't have a problem with Riven in a sport bra, as long as she looks sporty (if that makes sense). If she looked like a female athlete at the Olympics, and she wasn't posing in a way that makes it hard to take her seriously, then a sports bra skin would actually be pretty awesome. It's all about presentation, not how much skin is actually exposed.

I conceded Varus as a counterexample from the very beginning. Kassadin's mask are tubes and stuff make him hard to see in that light. Malzahar is attractive enough, but he is hardly sexualized. His Djinn skin is much like Sun Goddess Karma, which I also don't think is sexually suggestive. Pantheon and Lee Sin are debatable. I personally don't think their presentation is at all sexual, but I can see why some people think they do.

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Ensig:
ok first of all, i know a lot of girls that play league, and none of them care about this issue. but what i really want to point out is most of them only like playing the female champions anyways. and the girls i know that are serious about this game, could REALLY careless about this. this is not a problem in the community, just a problem for op. if op wants to be "aesthetically pleased" there are plenty of websites on the internet for it.

Why don't we replace all the champions with cubes then, its just a game, if we want to be aesthetically pleased, we can go somewehre else

why bother with textures at all.

L2 Sentinel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Gunxlinger:
Most mentioned champions have the ability of being male fashion models and showing off their body. If you dont have a personal preference in them doesnt mean they should be changed.

Tryndamere and Olaf would never have a modeling career. Xin Zhao, Talon, Lee Sin and Pantheon might, but unless you are displayed in a sexually suggestive way, then they aren't being sexualized. They are warriors that just happen to be handsome.

blobbert

10-07-2012

regarding riven: I would like to say that I absolutely love the champion skin, the armor keeps it classy even though some skin is showing and the features on the armor bring no doubt that she is in-fact a woman, not a man (unlike what my brother first thought)

keep it up design team!