@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StunnedandSlayed

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante88 View Post
I sorta sit on the fence about the character portrayal myself. There are some the more revealing skins that I really like. The Kitty Cat Katarina skin, to be honest, is one that I am very sad I was not around to buy when it was available. I am also going crazy trying to get to Gold elo (it isn't going well lol) so I can get the new Janna skin. And for quite honestly no other reason because if the teaser holds true, it's the only skin she has that DOESN'T make her look like she's a light breeze away from falling out of her clothes.

As far as how the community treats girls - I can bring out an example of how bad it is. I got my girlfriend into League about a month ago. She's new. She doesn't fully understand how the game works. She makes mistakes. Frequently. She also made the serious error of choosing a very feminine summoner name. So we're in SR and we're winning the match, but she's playing Ashe and she's managed to die a dozen times while only making a couple of kills. One of the other guys on our team starts talking her down, calling her a dumb girl, to uninstall and go ruin someone else's game. Called her fat (which she's not) and just about any other derogatory sexist insult you can imagine.

Seriously? And some people genuinely wonder why girls don't want to be a part of the MMO community. I have played with some gamer girls that would own me all day, every day. I've also played with some girls that aren't very good, and will in all likelihood remain unskilled because when they get into a match, and they don't do well, they're treated like THIS.
You seriously think girls are the only ones treated bad in this game?

This community is toxic to everyone not just girls. If you don't believe me log on tribunal.

If every dude in this game cried and quit because he got called a ******, jew, ***** this game woulda failed along time ago.

AlphaPhoenix

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You have no idea.. NO IDEA.. how in love with the Unprepared Garen skin I am..

..or "Sexy Fireman Graves"
What about Chippendales Pantheon?

Vic Vanity

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
My god you are obese.
Nope. I stopped eating when I started playing league of legends because as all females, I am really inspired to look just like the characters I see in movies and games. I lost 500 pounds and look just like Miss Fortune. Everyone loves me now.

Illecebra

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLurch View Post
You seriously think girls are the only ones treated bad in this game?

This community is toxic to everyone not just girls. If you don't believe me log on tribunal.
Oh I know. Believe me I know. I've been on the receiving end of that stick. And I am ashamed to say, on less patient days I've been the one holding the stick. But no one comes onto a guy and talks them down and demoralises them because they're a guy. They come down on them and demoralise them because they've done something stupid. Which happens, I mean it's life. People do dumb things.

The point I was making is that when guys verbally assault a woman in this game, it very quickly moves away from "You've done something dumb" to "You're a (insert colorful derogatory substitute for 'woman' here), GTFO and uninstall". Usually. Not always. But usually.

Kiddalee

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xengre View Post
IronStylus would you reason to say that females are rather distinct in both age in archetype in comparison to men and a problem with the perception of the issue can be directed at the much larger male cast and male/neuter (but appears to likely be male) monster cast of champions in the game that dwarf the female population in numbers?

Also what is your opinion on the fact that old haggard women do not simply sell or are well received in comparison to other designs, nor do they make sense beyond my next statement. It is great to have a few visibly older/aged women (wrinkles/etc.) but no more then a few due to the lack of basic archetypes (mage/psychic powers/mech user/techy that can be employed which visibly demonstrate old age such as wrinkles) leaving primarily fit/athletic women who participate on the battlefield (often more athletic women do not show such signs of aging, while not 100% true it is fairly accurate) making up the majority of the cast due to more archetypes simply being available. To elaborate, frail/aged women are generally not combat ready (outside above mentioned archetypes, and potentially some others... with a lot more if someone gets amazingly creative which is honestly not likely). I may not be stating this as clearly as I should but I am rather tired, myself.
Haggard old men requiring canes are also not battle ready, but at least there's one. There is even room for an old woman when you limit your imagination regarding gender roles. Most people requesting an old woman are thinking of Baba Yaga, who floats around in a butter churn and doesn't even have to walk, and has powerful magic so she doesn't even need to be a warriorlike character.

Illecebra

10-07-2012

And after reading about 20 pages of this forum, I am astounded at how ignorant people are. I've counted a couple dozen of posts that refuted a point made by the OP, without reading the supporting statement IMMEDIATELY after it, making them sound like complete idiots. Seriously. Wow.

StunnedandSlayed

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante88 View Post
Oh I know. Believe me I know. I've been on the receiving end of that stick. And I am ashamed to say, on less patient days I've been the one holding the stick. But no one comes onto a guy and talks them down and demoralises them because they're a guy. They come down on them and demoralise them because they've done something stupid. Which happens, I mean it's life. People do dumb things.

The point I was making is that when guys verbally assault a woman in this game, it very quickly moves away from "You've done something dumb" to "You're a (insert colorful derogatory substitute for 'woman' here), GTFO and uninstall". Usually. Not always. But usually.
So calling a guy a gay put down term or a racist put down term isn't demoralizing?

It happens just as much to guys is all i'm sayin.

I'm sorry your gf got attacked by some ******* in game. I'm not trying to demean what happend to her by any means.

Darkvolcan

10-07-2012

The thing is, sexy females works, sexy males don't. You could probably blame Japan for that.

When I think of a sexy female, I instantly picture the badassness that goes with them in JRPGs. Sure, they look like *** objects, but they do everything in a really badass manner. They have this demeanor to them that says "mess with me and you're dead."

I think the same of LoL chicks right now. Even if it's Leona who's a warrior with high heels or nurse Akali, they both give off the image that they'll kill anything that stands in their way.
Many of the sexualized females look malevolent. Is this for further seduction or actual ass-kicking potential?

Also, I doubt female players want to see a female character who's fat just because it fills in the diversity gap. I don't know a single male who's excited over how Gragas looks.
What makes OP think females will be excited to see the illusive Lady Gragas?

Cithos Sypht

10-07-2012

Very well crafted post, and one that I will overall agree with, but I don't think you can fault Riot for the age disparity between the genders. If we are going to go with the stereotypical "men like young women" and that's why all of the female chars look the way they do, then we can equivalently go with the stereotypical "women like older men,"and thus the age differences are quite natural.

Unless Riot is going to start catering their art to cougars, which I would actually love to see argued for (Cougar Nidalee skin, sharp claws opening alimony checks, do it).

BerserkSheal

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLurch View Post
So calling a guy a gay put down term or a racist put down term isn't demoralizing?

It happens just as much to guys is all i'm sayin.

I'm sorry your gf got attacked by some ******* in game. I'm not trying to demean what happend to her by any means.
Most of the Tribunal is guys bashing and demoralizing other guys, hell I think those perceived as "foreigners" get it the worst.