@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrHarz

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
See, my problem with this is that the Door of Sexism (new item for S3?) ends up smacking Sejuani again if you change her. It ends up saying (to me anyways), "Only a MAN can withstand the colds of the Freljord with no shirt on! A woman cannot be that strong!" And since Sejuani is my number two favorite champion...this would bother me to NO END.
The probem I have (and really it has little to do with sexism) is less that she's not fully covered and more that she's literally wearing a bikini. She's supposed to be some badass, self-important, tribal leading, warrior woman riding a boar into battle.

A scrawny woman in a bikini does not convey that.

Zerglinator

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post
The probem I have (and really it has little to do with sexism) is less that she's not fully covered and more that she's literally wearing a bikini. She's supposed to be some badass, self-important, tribal leading, warrior woman riding a boar into battle.

Clearly, we need to hit some middle ground, somehow.

I vote we give her sensible armor, and then have no sleeves on it.

Sshate

10-07-2012

People vote with their money in this game, and what's profitable strongly correlates to what the majority actually wants. I think Riot is doing a good job in giving what the majority wants.

However, in terms of pleasing the minority, let's not pressure Riot artist into any difficult dilemma. Give the artists plenty of breathing room and if they have a great idea (like Annie for example), they can do it on their own terms and at their own pace. Vote with your patronage (just don't buy skins for champ you don't agree with.), not by imposing your sense of standard on the artist.

Btw, to those who feel the female body shapes in this game are generally too plump. Maybe we're jumping to conclusion here. Maybe it's actualy the magic of Victoria. Just like real life.

Adumbro Deus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post

The thing is, the bikini isn't the discordant aspect. The scrawny part is.

Xenela

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

I think a Pantheon skin without his helmet would be a pretty easy start to bringing more sexy to the man side. It could be Unmasked Pantheon like Unmasked Kayle.

I appreciate that this discussion has largely been mature and constructive.

On a vaguely related note, has anyone brought up Sona's model? I'm not talking about her bountiful endowment, but rather how tiny the overall body is. When she stands next to Ashe or god-forbid, Mordekaiser, it just looks ridiculous. I know that Morde is supposed to be huge, but she shouldn't be so much smaller than other characters. If you don't know what I mean, try to put her next to another character next time you're in a bot game or something.

KimKelley

10-07-2012

I agree with most of the OP's points, especially with regard to stripper skins. I did buy Vayne's valentine's day skin for my husband. So, I'm not against them, I'd just be happy with some similar ones for the handsome boys (although I think Relentless Garen is straight off of the cover of a romance novel) and some more skins for the females that were more badass.

That said, it's about the money. Riot needs to cater to the majority of the fan base. That fan base is overwhelmingly male. I don't fault Riot for doing what it has to do.

As to the community's response to females, it's about par for the course for the gaming community. There are genre's with worse attitudes. I don't really recall many games that have significantly better ones. Maybe MMORPGs. In LoL, anyone who has ever negatively remarked about my gender was just looking for a reason to talk smack anyone. If it wasn't my gender, they would have called me a foul name for a homosexual or remarked about their assumptions on my race. Those people are always going to be jerks. The gender thing just gives them any easy target.

Just for fun.

Desirable Sexy Male Skins:

Human Nasus: Most of us are already in love with the voice. Just give him a tall dark and handsome skin to go with it. Oh...good candidate for a dark-skinned champion skin!

Pre-Death Yorick: I'm weird but I find his default splash a little hunky. Just clean up the decay, and possibly the lurching gait, and I could be all over it.

Stripper Policeman Jarvan: this is more for the sake of amusement. I just like the idea of the mighty Jarvan as a stripper.

Zetasphere

10-07-2012

And yet so many people have given well thought- out arguments and responses to the OP and her supporters only to receive downvotes or unnecessary vitriol. Oh noes, people are ******bags on the internet. News at 11. Doesn't justify it but it sure as shootin' explains it.

FighterRanger

10-07-2012

Lets just pander to everyone and sexualize everything. Problem solved.

1st Death

10-07-2012

Being a female gamer, I could give a sh*t less how the Riot community treats me. They rarely know I'm a woman in the first place. I mean, come on, look how they treat each other? If you aren't a white male, you're doomed. Such is life! If you don't want to hear the bs.. a neutral name will help period. I'm talking to women, people from other countries, etc. Oh & the skins? They are fine! You would be insulted if they were anything else.

MrHarz

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adumbro Deus View Post
The thing is, the bikini isn't the discordant aspect. The scrawny part is.
It's both.

Like Zerglinator said, Trynd's shirtless, and it somehow works. Sejuani is in a bikini, and it doesn't.

Imagine if Tryndamere were only wearing a speedo.