@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
If I'm parsing this correctly..

Yeah, gals tend to be a smaller sliver of archetype due to being outnumbered.. but that's just an excuse when we really could just be more clever with our real-estate.

I've never really been fond of old haggard, but that's just me. Maybe it's viable. I'd steer more towards Maleficent as a good target. Middle-age-ish-sorta, dignified, graceful, evil, a force to be reckoned with.
Good call.

Theorchero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

The problem is with the players, not the designers or Riot.

People are *******s, get over it or get off the internet.

I skimmed most of your post and most of it seemed generic asinine whining.

"Shaco looks like a stalker"

Seriously? Are you ****ing 12? Are your "gamer girl" friends 12?

If are not mature enough to handle Teen (ESRB) themes, or they honestly think like that, then maybe LoL isn't the kind of game they would like to play anyway?

Maybe Candyland would be better?

Brosona

10-07-2012

I'm having trouble taking the majority of you seriously. Out of everything to complain about, you choose this. And it's not a new topic either, it's the same old tired horse that has been whipped from one side of China to the other. It's actually really quite sad.

I've been reading this topic from the first post. I agree with some of the things you say, like the points about equality. This however seems to be people whining because they think females are getting a raw deal yet again.

Firstly, as a player, I honestly am incapable of caring one tiny, infinitesimally small bit about what gender you are. No one should care if you are male or female. It is about your skill in the game, not what genitalia you have. Why anyone feels the need to point out what gender they are unless they are trying to gain an advantage of some point is ridiculous beyond belief.

Why should you get any advantage for being female? For people whose whole schtick is equality, you certainly seem to want an advantage. Yes, there are some of you who don't need to point it out because you are a normal, rational adult. Congrats, you're a sane person.

Secondly, this is the Internet. Until they somehow manage to enforce mandatory laws that you must use your real identity everywhere you go and face, well, people are going to use fake names. Being anonymous means yes, people will feel like they can get away with saying anything they like to people. **** happens, people. Yeah, maybe it isn't right for people to do that, Mystical Sky Fairy knows that I don't condone it, but I also don't let it affect me either.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of letting people get to you over a mere game, perhaps you should grow a little thicker of a skin and just shrug it off. It is highly unlikely that you will have to deal with that person again afterwards. In a perfect world, yeah, you wouldn't have to deal with it, but we're not perfect. If they start to harass you, ignore them and move on.

Thirdly, all the people complaining about how all the female champions are oversexualised hussies who would be more suited to grace the foldout of a men's magazine. Why are you so threatened by it? They're characters in a video game. They're not secretly pushing some sort of agenda to turn women into slaves or something. They're not hurting you.

Honestly, I don't even NOTICE the T&A in half the splash arts. I see the splash art for the minute or so it takes for the game to load and thats it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Heck, I wouldn't care how the character looked as long as I liked the skills they have and how they play. I tend to main Katarina mid, and I wouldn't care one jot if she was some old crone throwing carrots or something at the enemy and hitting them with her walking stick. You could turn all the characters into wireframes and I'd still play my favorites. How they look shouldn't be the most important thing to you. How they play should be.

Maybe instead of sitting here picking arguements that really have no relevance in how the game plays, you should go do something else? It really just seems to me that you're all just looking for fights when you don't need to be, and that really speaks volumes about the kind of people you are.

And yes, I do fully expect to be repeatedly downvoted by the same few people in this topic who have been doing it to everyone else whose opinion doesn't mesh with your narrow little worldview.

Maybe it's time to grow up and worry about more important things then how fictional characters look in video games that are meant to be played for relaxation and enjoyment.

Rachel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
A very good and interesting post, as well as nicely structured!
i upvote u cus name

Nightscorpio

10-07-2012

I just found this post and like its about variaty on champions I MUST ask, (Don't know if someone did already)...

Why are all the human champions caucasic? (You know where I'm heading with this)

chumbler

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
I want women to have more variety in what they wear YET I also demand that they shouldn't wear heels cause despite this being a fantasy game it isn't realistic for a woman to go into battle in heels because I think it is some form of sexism that ironically feminists of my previous generation fought long and hard to empower women to wear what they want.

Oh so far we have come.
Fantasy still has to stay within the bounds of believability within its setting. Heels confer no advantages to the wearer, only disadvantages (recall that even Eve herself makes it clear that heels are not the best idea), thus they are not believable. And even if you suppose that they did confer advantages, then why aren't the men wearing them?

DangIt

10-07-2012

forgive me for not reading thoroughly since this is 101 pages long as of now but I was just wondering about Bunny girl Riven. The opening post stated that it was one of the "worst" or I guess the best example for the argument that they were making.

However I believe Bunny Girl Riven was a community-dRIVEN thing? So how would you go about "balancing" the gender if the community cries for it? because by the looks of things, this community will probably want some sort of "stripper" (<-- as in according to the opening post) skin for some new champ in the future. Any thoughts Iron?..

50Puppys

10-07-2012

People need to stop being babies. A big part of the reason that minorities do not have equality is because people expect to be given special treatment just because they are different.

Flana Scarlet

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
he's the clear counterpart to Riven
Bunnygirl Singed! Think about the set up. Riven infiltrates a club to strike a blow against Noxus, to prove her vision is the true one...

But little does she know, Singed has caught wind of her plans! He must clerverly disguise himself to sneak closer to Riven and finish the job.

No witnesses.

Deathsage

10-07-2012

Yadda yadda yadda its the same old nonsense. In a game that has a 95% male playerbase 95% of the content is going to be geared toward males. Its business as usual and the complaining is always irritating. Stuff a sock in it because we are sick to death of hearing the same BS excuse of "well I feel" well it doesnt matter what you feel because you arent the one who is having to make or lose money based on the desicions made.