Ideas to actually fix Nid.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NiGHTS Noob

05-03-2014

So this was originally posted in Champion Feedback, but seeing as that forum is almost as dead as disco I think I'll post it here just to see if I can get more of a discussion going. The idea is to actually start thinking of ways to change her instead of just complaining about her spears being too strong and nothing else, especially because I don't find Nidalee particularly OP, just simultaneously boring and frustrating to face.

Original Topic Here: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4487568

Quote:
So I know Riot is ignoring the fact that tremendous chunk of the playerbase finds Nid to consistently be the most frustrating and obnoxious champion to deal with whether she's OP or not, but I like to think that's more out of not being sure exactly what to do with such a popular champ without pissing everyone off.

So here's what I've been thinking. Nid has four main design pillars, which is fitting because she's very much a Jack of all Trades kinda champion, or at least she should be.
1) Her extremely long range and extremely powerful (notice I said powerful, not damaging) skillshot that scales with distance

2) Her large assortment of close combat tools in Cougar Form.

3) Her utility that comes from her heal/buff, and the vision and MR reduction from her traps.

4) Her extreme mobility from Pounce and her passive.

Now people really don't have too much of a problem with AD Bruiser Nid, it's AP Nid they can't stand. Also AP Nid only exemplifies 3 of these design pillars, only switching to cougar form to dart away or if someone is exceedingly low on health.

So the simple fact is, pure AP Nid's gotta go, but AP Nid has to be kept to keep her Jack nature. So I suggest we readjust her kit slightly to make her viable as an AD or AP Bruiser, with Support still as a secondary role and here's how I would go about it.

Firstly the Q needs a damage nerf. It needs a base nerf, it needs a ratio nerf, and you need to get rid of the damage over distance. Now you've just completely gutted the ability right? But the ability needs to be powerful. So how does one go about achieving power without damage? CC and utility of course. Look at Lulu's Q, the ratio is garbage but it's a very powerful tool she has that's useful in a variety of situations. Now I'm not saying Nid's spears shouldn't do any damage, but I think their damage should be less in line with an AP Burst Mage's on steroids, and more in line with say Morgana's Q with it's 300 base and .9 instead of it's potential 575 1.6 now.

So we're gonna add a slow, but in order to keep the unique parts of the ability it can't just be any slow. It needs to be a slow that feels good to land, and feels very powerful. So you have the slow increase with AP, maybe something like 1% per 40 AP or something, just a rough number for explanation's sake. And then you have the Base slow and the Duration of the slow increase with the distance the spear has traveled. Maybe it'll last 1 second at point blank and scale up to 2.5 over time for example. So at close range it can sometimes work as a disengage or chase tool, but at long range it makes for an extremely strong engage ability with some decent harass damage. Also you're gonna have to fix the spear so it actually scales with distance traveled instead of distance the impact is from Nidalee because that's just toxic as hell and promotes the frustrating points of Nid's gameplay.

So now you've offloaded some damage from the spear, well now she doesn't have nearly enough damage. Right, so now we're gonna focus on making Cougar form more appealing to AP Nid. First you gotta give Takedown an AP ratio, this is where you're gonna offload a sizable portion of that spear's damage. Give Nid the damage, but make her get in close and work for it. Maybe buff her base HP slightly to promote diving into the fray a little more.

You also got to make Pounce and her passive less powerful for running away, but you still gotta keep her chasing mobility because she is a hunter after all, so here's how we can go about that. You gotta redo her passive and increase all of her cooldowns, especially her Cougar cooldowns. Why? Well here's what I propose for Nid's new passive:

Nid's Cooldowns should go down faster (50%, 100%, I dunno it needs testing) as long as she's within 425 range of her opponent (little under her ranged auto attack at 525 without being in your face).

This would give her tons of chase potential, and allow her to leap away from melee chasing champions reasonably easily, but wouldn't give her that extreme running power we all know and hate. The idea is to change her from a champ that's a pain to catch into one that's a pain to get away from since I wanna change her into a Bruiser as it is. Plus she's a hunter, so shouldn't she be rewarded for chasing someone down instead of running away from them?

Now that Nid's generally not gonna be building Full AP the Heal's probably fine where it's at. She's not gonna have those extreme burst heals anymore.

So there you go. A Nid that still has her full kit in tact, has some CC now, has an added new mechanic to make things interesting, and still keeps all four of her design pillars in tact.

Now these are just ideas, and I realize there's gonna be problems here and there, but this is more to get you started thinking on ways to actually adjust Nid without just saying "Change her kit, she's toxic"

NobSaiboot

05-03-2014

I think the most reasonable way to fix Nid is to delete her from the game.

NiGHTS Noob

05-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryoshell17 View Post
I think the most reasonable way to fix Nid is to delete her from the game.
Wow, how insightful of you. Should we just remove every champion you don't play too just to make it fair?