Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Strange Lag Spikes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zagarna

12-13-2010

It happens often enough to really annoy and in many cases I have to restart the client and reconnect to the game before it is "fixed". There is always a chance of it happening again, however..

reefine

12-13-2010

ughh.. my ping spikes when there is a lag issue but it still makes the game entirely unplayable

Narnak

12-13-2010

Let's clear a couple things up here.

Packet loss = Your router, ISP or some hop between you and the Riot servers through the internet is having physical issues. Packet loss will not affect browsing web sites. The packets will be re-sent if lost and you won't notice an extra .01 seconds it takes to load the page. It WILL affect gaming though because of the time sensitivity aspect.

Latency = delays in the packets reaching the client or server. Again similar issue, but not necessarily a physical problem and perhaps just a period of network saturation (i.e. prime time if you are using a cable connection that is shared and not dedicated) where the network is running slower. Or again could be a problem with any hop between you and the Riot servers over the internet.

Internet hubs DO occasionally have issues. ISP's DO occasionally have issues. Personal routers and modems on your home network DO occasionally have issues. The computer you play on DOES occasionally have issues. None of these things have anything to do with Riot.

I'm not saying that there aren't performance bugs in the game, but packet loss and latency (unless the Riot servers themselves are bogged down in which case EVERYONE would be lagging and you'd start seeing Blitzcrank or Amumu instead of Teemo on the loading page) is not something Riot can control. So you should really try to rule out these other issues instead of assuming it is Riot's problem.

SyStemHALTER

12-13-2010

Dude, got ping open for 24h, 0 lost packets, ping is 40ms to google. 16 mb chater cabl,but sometimes it acts like I am loosing 30-40%

Frosty716

12-14-2010

im angry about it as well. just got a brand new computer out of box 2 weeks ago, playing with all non essentials in background closed, 60fps, 100 ping or so, and the game would animate without being able to move my champion. caused me to die. alot. happened in i would say 8 out of 9 games i played last night. please fix this or im not buying anything else from the shop.

MaoriChampion

12-14-2010

This is happening to me to for awhile now, the thing is me and my mate have the exact same laptop and it doesn't happen for him. I know its not my connection or anything cause I take my laptop to his, so its exactly same isp, game and computer yet mine does this **** its ****ing gay

Daikaze

12-14-2010

Quote:
Narnak:
Let's clear a couple things up here.

Packet loss = Your router, ISP or some hop between you and the Riot servers through the internet is having physical issues. Packet loss will not affect browsing web sites. The packets will be re-sent if lost and you won't notice an extra .01 seconds it takes to load the page. It WILL affect gaming though because of the time sensitivity aspect.

Latency = delays in the packets reaching the client or server. Again similar issue, but not necessarily a physical problem and perhaps just a period of network saturation (i.e. prime time if you are using a cable connection that is shared and not dedicated) where the network is running slower. Or again could be a problem with any hop between you and the Riot servers over the internet.

Internet hubs DO occasionally have issues. ISP's DO occasionally have issues. Personal routers and modems on your home network DO occasionally have issues. The computer you play on DOES occasionally have issues. None of these things have anything to do with Riot.

I'm not saying that there aren't performance bugs in the game, but packet loss and latency (unless the Riot servers themselves are bogged down in which case EVERYONE would be lagging and you'd start seeing Blitzcrank or Amumu instead of Teemo on the loading page) is not something Riot can control. So you should really try to rule out these other issues instead of assuming it is Riot's problem.

I totally agree! We are here to try and figure out where the problem is. Riot is easy to work with than the ISP (I've tried).

What we do know is that this is a one-way (upload) packet loss issue.

Hopefully people are making support tickets for this issue. You will get more direct support and help with troubleshooting the issue.

reefine

12-14-2010

this has nothing to do with ISPs and home configuration, IMO.

if a user can play other equally bandwidth/connection intensive games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 then why would this game be any different?

In my case, I play Bad Company 2 without any lag spikes and I play quite frequently.
In my case, I play League of Legends with excessive lag spikes (2 every 3-4 minutes) which are ping jumps over 1000ms

there's something wrong with Riot's server infrastructure, game, or server hosting company. bottom line!

Voracioush

12-14-2010

Having the same issue. I can browse, do a speed test during the game, but I just completely lag out and am unable to play the game. All sprites and champions continue movement although I cannot see health bars, and I am unable to control my character for times between 5 seconds and 45 seconds.

This started happening yesterday and today.

reefine

12-14-2010

I also analyze ping using command prompt while the game experiences lag which shows it is an issue with the game