apc viable other than mid/not given the lane you want

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

a1sock

10-05-2012

So I was playing a game today where I was playing as karthus, our teams only ap user. A teemo was the only other ranged player we had, and refused to play anything other than mid. As such, I was forced to go bottom. Teemo got his butt whooped by vlad(who is a personal fav to lane against with karthus, I can out farm fast to get to level two which usually leads to a few q's, and e and ignite for the first 1-2 kills)

so, playing bot, I got starved out by a very aggressive lux and alistar, who bullied our other bot easily... being the ap player, I feel with how they scale and the demand for gold means ap can only play mid. IS there a viable way to play ap outside of mid lane? Or could riot force any player who uses teemo to put two pins in their arms so they get shocked when they are annoying?

ACGIFT

10-05-2012

Sometimes it's actually viable to play an AP Carry top if you're alone. Granted, it's a very dangerous situation, so in such a case you will rarely/ever push, but if you go defensively (especially with someone like Brand coming to mind) you can harass and zone the generally melee-only opposing top(s) and out-farm them.

Going bottom with an AP carry is usually a recipe for disaster, since the AD carry will often be too egotistical to recognize that you're NOT a support, and leave you utterly starved, hence useless. (and then have the stupidity to call you a feeder)

desolation0

10-05-2012

I assume the other bot was a support type? If not, may be a large part of how you got bullied. Generally you're right about the AP character going mid, with bot leading to less xp over time. Karthus in particular loves going mid to get his ult while other lanes are still level 4-5. Top, you'd really have to be facing someone with little for position changers and gap closers, which can be common. Bot you'd become more dependent on being able to make your opponents go back or die, while you out-sustain on Karth with your lane partner.

There are other AP characters that can and do take other lanes often, including Fidd in the jungle. Generally try to stick with what you're comfy with including sticking with the regular metagame in randomly matched PvP. Think that Teemo sampled one of his own shrooms, wanting to go against Vlad.

AJStarhiker

10-05-2012

I've played AP top (Ziggs w/ Swain wanting mid) and surprised myself by bullying Nasus out of top. IIRC, I managed 3 kills in a row on him and the game snowballed from there.