Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Championship Riven - Thoughts/Feedback/Initial Impressions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wittinator

10-05-2012

I'd have to agree. The rectangle sword looks really stupid

Churtlenater

10-05-2012

Obviously the model is still a work in progress, and will look more like the splash art when it's complete. Which will fix everyone's complaints about how the hair looks and such.

Now that aside, I do have a problem with her sword. I like the concept, how it looks like a roman numeral II without a gap in the middle. BUT, her animations look weird with it, like others have pointed out. The animations should be tweaked so it doesn't look so.........odd. And I think making it more "forked" looking so it's more apparent it's a II might be a help. Unfortunately, I don't like how it looks in it's broken state. At all.

I think the floating II's on her 'e' look a little silly to be honest.

And finally, I think some new phrases to replace her old ones, would just be a nice touch. It's not necessary, but one's that made her sound more "triumphant" would complete the skin rather well.

Tetryst

10-05-2012

Quote:
LimitlessChaos:
A square sword isn't going to kill anyone with the way Riven swings it

this is wrong, plain and simple. Riven doesn't stab with her sword, so the point at the end is irrelevant. Keeping the blade thick throughout would make it heavier, which would make it deadlier. You can't stab with an axe, but an axe is still very deadly. Riven doesn't stab anyway, so I can't see what your problem with this sword design is.

Daemon

10-05-2012

Quote:
xDakafalx:
Obviously the model is still a work in progress, and will look more like the splash art when it's complete. Which will fix everyone's complaints about how the hair looks and such.

Now that aside, I do have a problem with her sword. I like the concept, how it looks like a roman numeral II without a gap in the middle. BUT, her animations look weird with it, like others have pointed out. The animations should be tweaked so it doesn't look so.........odd. And I think making it more "forked" looking so it's more apparent it's a II might be a help. Unfortunately, I don't like how it looks in it's broken state. At all.

I think the floating II's on her 'e' look a little silly to be honest.

And finally, I think some new phrases to replace her old ones, would just be a nice touch. It's not necessary, but one's that made her sound more "triumphant" would complete the skin rather well.

Well, this sums up pretty much everything everyone thinks is wrong.

Okay, I get that they are trying to keep with the "Season 2" theme by having II plastered everywhere, but it the shield looks cheesy and it looks more like the Gemini zodiac sign. I'd prefer floating rocks that look like they have a glowing II etched into them and slightly cracking, almost like the style of the rocks and mountains in the art. It'd also match the blade.

The sword needs to be pointed. One thing is sticking to a theme...and then you have overdoing the theme. The ult blade is overdoing the theme. So is the shield.

Lastly, Riven in the art looks strong. Riven in-game looks like she is starved.

Jaysky0

10-06-2012

Everything I could say has already been said with detail already. Broken version looks great, ultimate version looks off, the amount of II's is a bit excessive and pretty dumb. The gentlemen who posted just before me had a good idea for the shield just keep the bright circle for it. Her armor and weapon really remind me of the lagiacrus armor and greatsword from Monster Hunter Tri (only with less II's).

Daemon

10-07-2012

I think the sword blade should look like the first or third sword here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CV_LLusRI2o/Ts43LdNk4XI/AAAAAAAACYQ/G5CLRlcyCgo/s1600/fantasy+swords+sci+fi+design+broad+sword+battle+axe+energy+blade+weapon+concept+sample+2.jpg

LimitlessChaos

10-07-2012

Quote:
Tetryst:
this is wrong, plain and simple. Riven doesn't stab with her sword, so the point at the end is irrelevant. Keeping the blade thick throughout would make it heavier, which would make it deadlier. You can't stab with an axe, but an axe is still very deadly. Riven doesn't stab anyway, so I can't see what your problem with this sword design is.

Here's how I know you didn't read my post, let alone the part you quoted:

"...the way Riven swings it..."

Last time I checked, I didn't say because she stabs with it. But hey, I guess they don't discuss or teach that silly thing called "reading comprehension" where you come from.

I never stated that stabbing has anything to do with it; however, if you had any functioning brain cells you'd know that my argument holds water; a lot of it, in fact. Also, the sword in her S2 skin isn't, as you've for some reason written "thick throughout;" in fact, it gets quite thin near the top, near the "hooks" as some people have called it and it doesn't have one thickness throughout, you can see that by looking at the attachment.

Riven was animated with the idea that she's using one part of her sword to do damage (this is why when she activates Blade of the Exile she gets a new animation set) and that part is the abnormally large part at the top of the blade - her "aim" when she swings is such that she's hitting her target with the end of the sword and she very deliberately swings to hit them with that part, not the lower body (you can kind of argue that Broken Wings does this a little, but not all three hits and it also isn't changed to adjust to the bigger sword, only her basic attacks are)

Don't believe me (whoopidy doo)? Take a look at the model for her restored sword in her "serious" skins (all of them excepting the bunny one) - the upper-third of the sword is uneven and in the Redeemed skin it's even a bit bigger than the rest; if you watch her swing it, she actually swings with a bit larger range and nails the target with the big top part, a heavy edged tip that's not symmetrical and still ends in a point.

This square sword doesn't work with that kind of swing because the end is sort of "hooked" on each side and is completely harmless-looking (especially in-game) at the top and doesn't look like a sword. This would be fine if she were using "Club of the Exile" but she's not, it's still "Blade of the Exile" and she's supposed to be slicing people with it. You forget, she has a big sword but she doesn't swing it like Gatts from Berserk - she's not using a big heavy sword to cleave or crush, she's a master swordsman and she slices people, she just happens to use a big sword with a greater portion "edged" than a smaller sword. How do you think she keeps her attack style similar when she goes from small sword to big one? Not because she's doing the Gatts thing with a third of her sword, it's because she is so skilled she can slice her enemies with only a piece of it.

Now, onto why the square sword works elsewhere - the most famous user of a square sword I can think of is Sol Badguy, the leading man of Arc System Works' Guilty Gear series. Sol pulls off this kind of sword, but how? His animations. He swings his one-handed square sword in a way that makes more sense. He also doesn't attack exclusively with his sword (his basic attacks are a kick and a jab with the sword's pommel; he has only two basics that are sword swings) as he "shoots" fire, does flying kicks, has a huge fiery uppercut and does some other things. He has a few sword swings though and they make sense for a square sword. Sol doesn't stab with his sword, a note shared by Riven; however, he takes one large over-head swing with the crushing/driving intent and he has one wide horizontal swing with the same style. Riven does not adjust to this kind of style when she fights with her square sword, she still aims the "business end" of the sword with her basic attacks which is the upper-third; in the case of the S2 skin, it's not that effective-looking. Square swords are cool when they make sense - when a character fights like he or she is using one.

So yeah, now you can read this post and maybe you'll understand.

P.S. The same bloody post you quoted discusses a good bit the very topic of axes and axe characters. Please, learn to read.

X74

10-07-2012

Quote:
Tetryst:
Riven doesn't stab with her sword,

The critical attack is a stab. It's perfectly relevant to me because I use Atma's + IE in my build.

Quite frankly I don't think that stabbing someone with a rectangle will work very well.

Zachatk

10-07-2012

I really like the skin in game, but agree the ult sword looks bad. I like the idea of making the square sword, but add some enhanced ascetics to it.

Micropsia

10-08-2012

Make her glow slightly where the blade is broken to show escaping runic power or something!!!
Yes a pointy sword would be better as stated earlier , but championship Riven does need a couple
improvements. Just putting my 2 cents in for my favourite champion!!!