Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Championship Riven - Thoughts/Feedback/Initial Impressions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ibuki Suika

10-05-2012

her hair looks plastic imo. thats the only thing that bugs me. i dont mind the square blade and i love the roman 2 (also cuz it reminds me of my zodiac sign gemini).

LimitlessChaos

10-05-2012

Seems like in general, most of you dislike the square sword.

I acknowledge that an above guy said that it has a hook and therefore it's deadly; I respectfully disagree and will elaborate below to explain myself.

Riven fights with a sword, an edged tool used for what purpose? Cutting and stabbing people. A square sword isn't going to kill anyone with the way Riven swings it and this game wasn't developed by the extremely awesome guys at Arc System Works; though that's not to say only ASW can make a square-sword character work, they've just had the best luck doing it by making a character as memorable as Sol Badguy.

Put another way, Darius' axe has a hook on the back side, right? He actually has an ability (Apprehend) that USES a hook-like structure.

Riven's animations aren't changed in this skin, so she still swings this ridiculous square sword like it's her usual one, where the "drive" of her swing aims the big bladed side of her sword at the person's anatomy (watch her especially during Blade of the Exile with C. Riven and then watch it with Redeemed or default Riven; it's quite clear what sort of sword she's intended to be swinging)

So, I acknowledge everyone's right to enjoy or like the square sword; however, please understand why I don't. This isn't quite the same as say...Sion. When Sion got his Hextech skin where he uses a hammer instead of his axe, it still worked because he swings his axe in such a way that it could work with a hammer too - he doesn't really make a cleaving swing (or one that's very weapon specific, now that I think about it; he could probably have a shorter 2H sword and it'd fit)

Now, try to imagine Darius using anything other than his axe - you can't because he is animated more similarly to Riven in that he swings like he's using that exact type of axe (imagine how silly he'd look with a hammer or sword; the former looking worse than the latter of course)

So that's why I think the square sword doesn't work - Riven just doesn't adjust to it so it just looks off (I also can't think of any other skins that really drastically alter a champion's weapon to be quite so mismatched from the animations)

Ebon Owl

10-05-2012

I like the skin but from the splash art I thought she had green and purple armor. Oh well, the blue is ok too since it glows. As for the effects I love them. The roman numerals are in my name so thats prolly why I am not bothered with them. I have to say tho I think a fork sword would be okay if it fully forked. Its way to dull as it is now. I kind of see what they were going for there but they need to go further. I also dont really care for the blond hair although I like the style. Actually the sword kind of reminds me of Cloud's Runeblade from FF7.

Im kind of new so forgive me as to asking this but my brother told me the janna skin can only be obtained with rank. Will it be the same for Rivens?

Daemon

10-05-2012

Here is a comparison from in-game model to art: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2644834

The model is terrible.

X74

10-05-2012

Please oh please for the love of God change the hair.

It looks like a ****ing octopus or something is stuck to her head. There's really no reason or appeal for it to be consuming half of her face.

Daemon

10-05-2012

Quote:
X74X:
Please oh please for the love of God change the hair.

It looks like a ****ing octopus or something is stuck to her head. There's really no reason or appeal for it to be consuming half of her face.

Maybe if they didn't make the back look like a chicken ass....

I know normal Riven looks like that, but it's even more visible in this skin.

X74

10-05-2012

Well normal Riven's is fine because it makes it simply look naturally spiky or messy in the back and it represents the art well enough to not look very stupid, I actually kind of like it although it could be better; but this one? It just looks like some weird plastic object wrapped around her head or some stupid looking squid, or a seashell. If anything they should make it look a bit similar to how the first one looks with some improvements but this is just stupid looking.

I sincerely hope it isn't finished.

Bravest Poro NA

10-05-2012

Glad you all know its still in progress >_>

X74

10-05-2012

Quote:
MrBubbles8709:
Glad you all know its still in progress >_>

I figured as much since Syndra's skin update was a little delayed as well, but I'm glad to hear that.

ShadyElf

10-05-2012

Her hair is really, really bad. And it's probably just me but she feels a lot more responsive with the skin.