Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Championship Riven - Thoughts/Feedback/Initial Impressions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LimitlessChaos

10-04-2012

Hey there.

This isn't a *****ing thread OMG IT SUX BLAHBLAH or anything of the sort; I'm just trying to provide a little feedback since the skin's still being worked on (presumably) and maybe other people share my thoughts.

The armor style is solid; it really reminds me of something you'd have seen Hyung Tae-Kim make for Magna Carta or Blade and Soul. I also think the color choices look great and "fit" Riven well-enough (she looks sufficiently "triumphant" in her armor with the strong blue with white glow to justify being a "Championship Riven" iteration)

The problem I have with it is the model for her restored blade during Blade of the Exile.

Why on Earth is her sword shaped like that? I get that the squared-off sword has been used in the past to solid effect (Sol Badguy of Guilty Gear fame and to a lesser extent Hakumen from BlazBlue) but it just looks strange being so huge in Riven's case and it doesn't really look appropriate with how she still swings her sword. I think the pre-BotE version looks great, much better than how it does in her normal skins but the restored form just doesn't look deadly...it doesn't have that strong edge and apparent "business end" that her sword has in her other "serious" skins (though to be fair, even bunny Riven's giant carrot sword still retains a good sword look)

So, I'll still buy and use it even if it's released how it is now, but for the purpose of offering one player's thoughts, I've decided to open a discussion here.

Edit: Added a good example of what it ought to look like from ZelsonV's thread in GD: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2643713 (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2643713)

Sherrif

Recruiter

10-04-2012

Haven't seen it since the instapick rivens never stay long enough to get level 6, however I agree with everything else.

Apperationz

10-04-2012

Quote:
LimitlessChaos:

The problem I have with it is the model for her restored blade during Blade of the Exile.

I think the pre-BotE version looks great, much better than how it does in her normal skins but the restored form just doesn't look deadly...it doesn't have that strong edge and apparent "business end" that her sword has in her other "serious" skins (though to be fair, even bunny Riven's giant carrot sword still retains a good sword look)

This is the only part that I disagree with you, not to the full extent of the manga quotes and such, but the whole part about it doesn't look deadly enough. I honestly believe that a sword can be squared off, AS LONG as there is some sort of hook, from what I have seen the sword does have a hook at the end of it on either side. The only reason that I bring up the hook is cause her sword sorta reminds me of the Zanbato/Executioner, but other than that, all is well in the land of LoL

Tenmar

10-04-2012

They need to fix Riven's in game model size. She is WAY too small. You need the Dom buff to just to reach your hp bar compared to other skins.

BattleBootyRiven

10-04-2012

fix the sword. looks lame as a rectangle

zomgnowai

10-05-2012

i liked the way the skin looked, i just wasnt diggin that hair....i mean, its neat an all but just not on her

GameKaiser

10-05-2012

Skin nice, but the blade

Maybe go all ichigo bankai style.. big blade to little thin blade lol

KittenBurglar

10-05-2012

I don't like her default blade either, the color just seems really odd without any highlights in it.

Typhingblade

10-05-2012

The thing i dont like is the shades of blue they used with the particles are unappealing to me, I'll still buy it, but I'll stick to Redeemed.

(I kinda wish the blue was white or something)

Extra Lunatic

10-05-2012

Personally I don't like the "II" theme. I know it's a skin that means the end of Season 2 but this skin is honestly just silly.

First of all the sword doesn't convey the feel of a "sword" to me. It's more like a sharp rock or something. In its ult form it doesn't even resemble a sword and I suspect just an attempt to make the sword look like a II again.

The 'q' is really nice, no problems here.

So is the 'w'.

The 'e' however just look silly to me. It's actually a big part into why I am not getting the skin. Why does the shield runes has to look like "II" is lost on me. It's like if Judgement Kayle's abilities had to make little roman "I" appear everywhere and her sword had to have edges at the bottom and at the end to make another "I". I find the concept really bad.

The ult as I said makes the sword look horrible. However the cone particles are fine with me.

Overall a mediocre skin in my opinion. I will definitely not buy if it stays like that, even though I had high expectations for a Season 2 Riven skin which I thought was going to be similar to Kayle's.