Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Balance: Make Flash's cost "Stack" like Kass or Kog's Ult, only with additional CD

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voodoo Jelly

10-04-2012

Let's give flash an arbitrary cooldown.

Let's say one minute, to let this hypothetical remain relatively simple.

One minute cooldown, but a 60 second timer once it comes off cooldown. That minute timer would act as a stack of the flash that, if you flash again in the second minute when the skill is off cooldown, it will let you flash again, but then you will have two stacks, and the cooldown will now be 120 seconds instead of sixty, with another 60 second window once it is off cooldown that, if cast again, makes the cooldown 180 seconds, etcetera.

This way, flash scales with player choice. If competent, it has a shorter cooldown, but if used reflexively too often, the cooldown becomes more and more taxing, and used less and less.

Many summoner spells could scale in similar ways, dynamically changing to reward the player for successful judicious behavior.

GreenJaguar

10-04-2012

Horrible Idea I think I think its just fine the way it is. If it aint broke dont fix it

Voodoo Jelly

10-04-2012

riot disagrees and dislikes what flash has done to the game. that's why i made the thread at all: because riot is having trouble dealing with flash.

I'm offering a solution to fix it because it's been said to be broken by the game designers. Shall I google for you "Riot Employees On Summoner Spell Flash?" The balance team doesn't like that it trivializes a lot of encounters.

So. It's broken, in the game designers' opinions, and I am offering a solution.

So, it isn't fine the way it is.

I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, but you're not giving me much to go on in explaining how it isn't broken. I made this thread because I considered it common knowledge that the game designers don't like Flash. :\ I apologize that I didn't preface my thread with that introductory knowledge, sincerely.

Orbital Nuke

Recruiter

10-04-2012

How about we remove flash!

Fox P McCloud

10-04-2012

It would be better if flash were just made into an item that you have to buy that has no use outside of flashing.

In exchange, the cooldown could be lowered and/or cast range increased.

Alternatively, make it so you can't use summoner flash if you've taken damage in the last "X" seconds from champions would be interesting too...you could still flash offensively or defensively, but if you make a big mistake and get caught with your pants down, you don't get a free lunch.

MagicalDrop

10-04-2012

You could always make it so that if you've killed somebody within 10 seconds of using Flash, it goes onto a longer cooldown. Base of 180 seconds, and it would go to 360 seconds. For the math impaired, 3 minute CD, or a 6 minute CD if you kill somebody immediately afterwards.

Sherrif

Recruiter

10-04-2012

How about we think about where we post these things... This isn't a suggestion forum, therefore I doubt the right Rioters will even see this. This is a bug reporting forum for the beta environment. The few Rioters that might see it won't be the right people and would have to tell another rioter about it.

I'm not telling you this to be a dick, please understand that putting it in the right forum will increase your chances to get a red response or might even get them to try this. However being in the wrong forum will decrease it's chances of ever being noticed and increase it's chances of getting pushed into oblivion.

XIIILelouchXIII

10-04-2012

Not necessarily Sherrif, this forum is for all things related to PBE, not just bug reporting. In fact, there's actually a "bug report" forum in of itself. Agreed, it's probably not the best place to put this, but unlike items and champions, summoner spells really don't have a designated forum for discussion. Perhaps General Discussion would be a better place to post this.

On the original subject, I think that adding a stack system to flash would make it more balanced. +1 from me.

Defnist47

10-04-2012

they dont dislike it, they dislike (i think) that it is an necessary spell. It's adds a lot of dramatic play and aggressive play and better to watch in tournaments. I agree, personally I think flash is a good thing. I just hate players with built in flashes.

ZeIse

10-04-2012

Quote:
GreenJaguar:
Horrible Idea I think I think its just fine the way it is. If it aint broke dont fix it

That's a rather narrow sighted comment. Just because you have no problem with it personally doesn't mean it isn't fundamentally broken. No one summoner spell should hog a slot like that. There should be options.

Flash is so powerful that you would want it over any other spell in the game, if given the choice of one. No contest whatsoever. That is in itself a problem. Take flash out of the equation here, and there wouldn't be a single spell that I would take over another, hands down, in every situation.

If you don't see why that isn't a problem in and of itself, I don't know what to say to you. I would rather have the entire summoner spell system removed than keep the current "Flash + Spell" system we have going right now.

Oh and ultimately I don't like the OP's suggestion either. It's a contrived method. Much simpler would be a damage-disable like we see with MF and Garen's passives. You can only use it if you haven't taken damage from champions in the last X seconds.

An even better idea would be to buff other summoner spells considerably until they can compete with Flash's slot at all times. And it's hard to compete with instant displacement.