Champs for newbies on each role?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaalika

10-05-2012

Thanks so much everyone! Core list looks solid, and next I'll be finding good guides on solomid for each champ here.

I need a couple of suggestions for good assassins still. Katarina has only one nomination.
Do assassins usually go mid against the enemy mages or is there another role they work well in?

@Zayden - Is Sona easy to pick up or trickier for a newbie?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-05-2012

I meant to point this out a bit ago, but...

Keep in mind that not every player plays the same. So while champion X might be easier for the majority of players to pick up, that doesn't mean everyone will take to them easily. Some players simply mesh with a particular champion, even if they have a really bizarre play style or steep learning curve.

Use the free week to test champions (feel free to use recommendations as a guide, but don't limit yourself by them).

MeltedWater

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaalika View Post
What would be the easiest champs to pick up and play each role without a lot of fuss just to get a taste of what it's like?

Please remember it's not just about what champ you like best, but what you think would be easy for someone new to the game to play as of the current meta.

1. Solo top: Gangplank (3150), Malphite (1350), Jax (1350), Kayle (450)
  2. Jungler: Warwick (1350), Yi (450)
  3. Mid: Morgana (1350), Lux (3150), Ryze (450), Katarina (3150)
  4. Carry: Graves (6300), Tristana (bonus FREE), Ashe (450)
  5. Support: Taric (1350), Soraka (450), Alistar (bonus FREE)
  6. Tank: Malphite, Alistar
  7. Assassin: Katarina
  8. Fighter: Jax, Kayle
  9. Mage: Morgana, Lux, Ryze
  10. Ranged: Tristana, Ashe
Gangplank is good solo top. He has built-in sustain, a ranged attack to practice last-hitting, has a global ultimate to encourage better map awareness, and has mana issues you need to learn to deal with. He's a GREAT starting champ to learn the game in general. Kayle is also good, with built-in sustain and a ranged attack. There's also the feeling of support a bit, to help you perhaps ease in to that role if you haven't yet.

For junglers, I've never tried WW and Yi seems squishy. I'd recomend, instead, trying Rengar, Shaco, and Fiddlesticks. Rengar is really easy to pick up and has good ganks with his pounce. He's perfect for learning to play manaless champions, and the jungle is the perfect place to do that. Alternately, Shaco and Fiddlesticks are good, as they don't need leashes and stay in tip-top health jungling. They also have better-than-average ganks and jungling is the perfect place to learn to play both of them as they both have this "stay-hidden-until-you-want-to-attack" aspect.

I really don't know who to recomend for mid, and haevn't played most of the champions you listed (and did bad as most). Mid isn't one of my strong points. I usually play Fiddlesticks, Zyra, or Karthus there, but they're all difficult to play (Fiddlesticks gets bullyed easily in mid; he's better played in the jungle).

Ashe is definitely an easy-to-use champion, and a great carry to learn, and you're right about Tristana too. Plus, she's free, so woot!

I don't recomend Alistar for support, even though he's free. He's more difficult to play and learn what to do when. He also has no ranged, like most supports. I recomend Kayle for support, because she's got heals, slows, and that "oh ****" ultimate in case you over-commit. Soraka and Taric are good, too. Especially Soraka if your AD carry is learning their champion -- just in case they have mana issues.

For tanks, again, I don't recomend Alistar. Malphite is good, I guess, but I recomend Taric or Rammus. Maybe Shen, although he gets banned a lot. Nunu's easy to learn too, but I don't think he's that great of a champion.

I've never played an assassin.

What do you mean by "fighter"? Like, bruiser? Well, what about Gangplank? And Rengar? I think they're good, easy ones to learn, for the same reasons i mentioned above. I don't think you should play Kayle as a "fighter" per se. I normally see them built support or hybrid. Darius and Garen are other common easy ones. The KSing ult and "Spin to Win".

For mages, I recomend Fiddlesticks, albeit in the jungle and not mid. He has good sustain, can silence, deals a ton of damage with his ult, has a great "stun", and trying to use his ult will force you to stay safe on the outskirts like you should learn to do as a mage.

Ranged, definitely Ashe.

Oineuz

10-06-2012

got a question...(nab player here) i pretty much like off tanks: Mundo & Singed (most used) working on learning Nunu, Volibear, Nasus, Malp (didnt like it that much), Poppy (kinda hard to play imo) and Galio (would work on Nautilus later)...I think Im more into the support teams but my champs are all kinda tanks...most of them or at least the ones I play the most dont initiate that good. I would like to play Soraka and Sona aw well but Ill wait till they get f2p or on sale before buying them...

I guess my question is does that make me a full support? I can solo top with mundo pretty well...but I usually get in there aim for carriers and receive focus fire till my team (if im lucky lol <= lvl 18) kills them all...any other champs you suggest me to try?

Magus Crow

10-06-2012

Mundo and Nautilus are most often seen in the jungle and Singed, Volibear, and Nasus are pretty much top laners while Malphite and Poppy can do either role (Poppy is pretty lackluster in either role until you can get her rolling though). Galio is most often seen in mid lane as a counter pick to most AP Carries. Nunu is the only champion that you have listed that is typically seen in the support role (though he can also jungle if needed).

If you like to be tankish I'd say try out Rammus, Shen and possibly Sejuani (though I hear she's pretty much a CC tank and most people hate her). Leona might also fit your fancy as even in the support role she's fairly tankish and has a metric boatload of CC in her kit. Blitzcrank kinda, sorta, halfway plays like Nautilus (lane Naut anyways...).

Oh... and Alistar. That ultimate lets him soak stupid amounts of damage.

Kaalika

10-06-2012

By "fighter" I meant when you click the search box on your champ profile and it lists all the fighters. You're right that Kayle shouldn't really be there, but then Kayle is a hybrid in a lot of things. She's not a carry but she is a fighter I guess, according to Riot.

I'm not too sure what those terms mean in this game, which is why I'm compiling this list.

Still need another assassin recommendation.

Kaalika

10-09-2012

*bump*

Any assassins other than Kat for a newbie?

TehomCD

10-09-2012

Evelynn is probably my favorite assassin to play mid, since she has extremely strong burst when built AP with deathfire grasp, while also having enough sustained damage to clean up fights if she won't be focused down. It makes her a very strong lategame assassin, while a lot of other assassins peak in the midgame.

Other assassins that you might enjoy playing mid are Leblanc (arguably the strongest laning phase of any champion - extremely hard to beat at level 6), Kassadin (weaker in lane, but very strong lategame and powerful roaming), Diana (a very strong mid, surprisingly tanky for an assassin), Akali (needs a specialized runepage, but can be very fun as an escape artist with her shroud, strong sustain during the laning phase from spellvamp), and Talon (very strong against a lot of mages mid).

Kaalika

10-11-2012

Thanks for the suggestions! Which 2-3 champs are the easiest assassins to pick up for a new player?

Do assassins play mid or top usually?

TehomCD

10-11-2012

Assassins usually go mid, since they're best against squishy champs like most mages mid, and also selected for their strong roaming. They tend to do poorly against most bruisers top, or against counters like Galio or Cho'gath mid.

Probably the easiest assassin to pick up mid would be Katarina, since she has ranged poke and is manaless, so very hard to drive out of lane or shut down. Evelynn, Talon, or Fizz all have strong laning phases too. Leblanc is the most dominant laner when played well, but is vulnerable to counterstrategies like strong pushing and is difficult to farm/last hit with, so that makes her harder for new players, Kassadin has similar problems, and Akali requires a specialized runepage to really shine. Diana's CC makes her strongest with a jungler, which is unlikely to happen in a game with newer players.