What should I do?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Altair117

09-05-2013

So this may not be the right section for this question, but it's the closest I could find. So here's the story: I started ranked planning to get to gold before S3 ends, in provisionals I had 9 wins and 1 loss. I was only carried in 2 games, I carried 3 games, and the rest I did okay. Then I was thrown into gold. I really wish I wasn't because after playing like 4 games I realized I'm nowhere near as good as people in gold, some people played more than 200 ranked games yet they're in silver. So what do I do to get to the same skill level as people in gold? Ranked was really fun, now I don't have any fun at all. Do I keep playing ranked and get better that way or do I just play normals until I get better? I mean, I like to think I'm fairly decent at this game, but I'm not gold material just yet. What do I do?

Melvear

09-05-2013

If you truly want to improve, I suggest recording a few games, and reviewing your play. See what you do good, what you do poorly, your mistakes (positioning, initiation etc) and then go into game with specific objectives.
You can't realistically improve every single aspect of your game in a single match, so go with something doable, and precise. For instance, say you facecheck bushes a lot and frequently get ganked that way, make it an objective to not die to facechecking for that next game.

If you don't want to record your games, try to make honest assessments about your performance after a game, and take notes the same way you would with a replay. Improving is all about accepting you are doing mistakes, and taking steps to correct them.

Sadistic Cheese

09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvear View Post
If you truly want to improve, I suggest recording a few games, and reviewing your play. See what you do good, what you do poorly, your mistakes (positioning, initiation etc) and then go into game with specific objectives.
You can't realistically improve every single aspect of your game in a single match, so go with something doable, and precise. For instance, say you facecheck bushes a lot and frequently get ganked that way, make it an objective to not die to facechecking for that next game.

If you don't want to record your games, try to make honest assessments about your performance after a game, and take notes the same way you would with a replay. Improving is all about accepting you are doing mistakes, and taking steps to correct them.
Agreed. Depending on your natural skill in League and your attitude, you're actually in a great place to be, though it may not seem it. When you watch your replays your biggest teacher should indeed be your own mistakes, but take into account the positive things that your teammates and opponents do. If they make the same really good play a few times, rewind and figure out how they did it. What did they start with? When did they move in? When did they move out? The same should be applied to your own good plays as well as your bad ones. When you're playing with people at or around your skill-level, the differences between good and bad play aren't always so clear. Playing with people beyond your abilities makes that easier because it's often so different than what you're used to that it's far easier to learn from it.

Altair117

09-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadistic Cheese View Post
Agreed. Depending on your natural skill in League and your attitude, you're actually in a great place to be, though it may not seem it. When you watch your replays your biggest teacher should indeed be your own mistakes, but take into account the positive things that your teammates and opponents do. If they make the same really good play a few times, rewind and figure out how they did it. What did they start with? When did they move in? When did they move out? The same should be applied to your own good plays as well as your bad ones. When you're playing with people at or around your skill-level, the differences between good and bad play aren't always so clear. Playing with people beyond your abilities makes that easier because it's often so different than what you're used to that it's far easier to learn from it.

Thanks for the help guys. So how do I do one of those things where I can spectate one of my games after I played it? Also I noticed something while playing a ranked game. So before I joined ranked, I was doing well in normals, I knew my enemy's mistakes and I captialized on them. I felt like I knew what I was doing in lane and they didn't, but in gold, it's the other way around. I don't have many champions yet, so I don't know much about certain matchups whereas I know a lot in other matchups, but either way, the enemy knows more than me. I mean, I watch people like Wingsofdeathx, Voyboy, Scarra, and Dyrus (and I actually learned A LOT from them) but I think I should just play a bunch of normals and get IP to buy a lot of champions and every now and then I play a ranked game and see what I did wrong and improve on it. I heard that you play against people around your ELO in normals, and I don't know if playing against normals is even going to make me better. But would this be a good idea? If not what would be better? Should I just play ranked often and look at my mistakes and leave it at that? Thanks for the help though.

Another problem is that I only have 1 full rune page and 2 rune pages, it'll take me a while to get the IP for runes and rune pages. Also my computer screen isn't that good and I can't zoom out that far in game, I'm trying to start using unlocked screen but I just don't like it. I usually can't see farther than a whole minion wave. I might get a new screen though.

Sadistic Cheese

09-07-2013

For your screen problems, ultimately you should be learning to keep an eye on the minimap while you're doing what you do. If people are warding, which at your level they likely are, your minimap will give you tons of early warning as to who's around or coming towards you and when. It also gives you when and where teammates are moving, and it's a good way to judge when you may wanna go in and give them a hand. If your top laner just mixed with your enemy top laner and he ran away really fast, that's probably gonna tell you something. If the fight lasted awhile and he's running, that also tells you something. (namely that if you or the jungler is free you should move up there NOW to finish off that enemy. Unless it's someone who can recover, if the trade was that long the enemy's low too and now's a great time to gank.)

Don't zone out while staring at it, but learn to keep an eye on it. It can and will save your life and the lives of teammates if you ping at the right time. Ping ONCE, not fifteen times. ONCE. MAYBE twice if you're not sure they noticed. For example: if you see the midlaner going down river towards bot lane, Ping caution or danger by the riverbush. Good Supports and adcs will notice not just that you pinged, but where, and they'll react appropriately.