How To Get Better At This Game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jmgr4y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpUrkel View Post
Watch pro streamers.....what ever lanes you prefer or like to play, watch those streamers. I go to sleep watching streams on my T.V. instead of television because literally you can learn so much from just watching high elo games.
Where's the best place to find games?

PurpUrkel

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgr4y View Post
Where's the best place to find games?
twitch.tv or own3d.tv

two best right there.

Also, there are plenty of guides coming out with S3 being fresh; check out some guides for champions you enjoy playing as well. Hope this helped

whatever L

12-09-2012

Really don't play with high levels if you're a low level and not very skilled player. Since every game you are in, you will be matched up against those who are better than you and you are going to have a hard time in lane and team fights. I have friends who have been playing with their lvl 30 friends with over 1000 wins and 1300 elo since lvl 12's and they still suck right now (around lvl 24)

I understand that most new players enjoy playing ad carries. Playing ad carries is a good thing because it helps you with teamwork and farming, also positioning. It also teaches you not to push the lane. If you know you will, keep the river bush warded so then you know when the enemy jungler is going to come and gank you.

Watching pro player games is really helpful and you can also watch guides and game commentaries to get to know more about what you have to do for your role.

Also a tip, if you play ad carries, stay at the back at all time. You should never be the one who jumps in the fight first.

Guy on a bus

12-09-2012

Add me, I'll coach you as long as you listen.

Patness

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

play with a team where you can actually communicate. Playing with better players isn't going to matter unless they're giving you direct and constructive advice, or unless your skills of observation are keen.

I played with some guys who were much better at the game than I am, over Skype, and they talked to me about how they figure out what to build for their characters, and how they know which kinds of characters do which roles well.

Once I understood the way they thought about the game, everything changed. However, that's extremely difficult to learn by just watching. Practice practice practice, but don't just play. Do it with the intent of improving specific skills, things like

* getting the last hit on a minion (but not auto-attacking) - this is probably the most important skill a carry should learn
* sustaining with your lane pushed in (but keeping your tower up) - this is abundantly useful if you have a jungle who's going to come help you, and any time you're solo in a lane
* learning the timing of the major spawns - knowing when to go snag the dragon with your team, so that you guys constantly get that extra 190 gold
* learning to harass - knowing the range of your character and how to hit without being hit

There are lots of little skills that go into the game, and learning each of them is important. Find someone you know who's ridiculously good at the game, and then ask them to make a list of the simplest, most important skills for playing the game (with *any* character).

Good play is the basis of everything else. Last but not least, try all of the characters, but focus on one or two. If you want to get really good, don't spread your efforts out, too thinly.

My best characters are Kog'Maw and Malphite, but I also play Soraka, Nami and Eve. I'm generally a pretty bad carry, but I still win consistently.

RainbowAtAck

12-25-2012

I'm pretty sure if you keep playing games with your higher level friends you will actually do better in solo queue, just make sure your friends are actually correcting your mistakes as you go along and not just letting you play sloppily.

Myrthrei

12-25-2012

Forgot all anout this thread 0.o
But thanks for the advice,im doing wayy better now,can queue up with my gold friend and still hold my own ^_^

KnightArtorias 4

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny Doom View Post
Honestly I think the worst thing new players can do is queue with their high level friends. I did it and was not understanding or learning the game for quite some time when I did. When you play alone your team may be uncoordinated but most people are playing at your level and pace, and it gives you a lot of time to learn instead of inflating your level by playing lots of bot games or getting carried by friends.

Looking at your match history, your farm is way too low for the time frame that games last. The main thing I think players take a while to understand is that you want to be in lane as long as possible and get as much farm as you can. It's okay if you like to push (keep in mind that junglers will prey on you if you're constantly overextended though) but if you're pushing and not picking up last hits at the same time, you're setting yourself back, and that's what may be happening. If I had to guess I would say you are prioritizing harass over farm and likely getting killed because your opponents get more farmed than you, get their items faster, and you end up falling behind in games.

The other thing is, you play a lot of squishy champions. With champions like Akali, Katarina, or AD Carries like Ashe, you have to pick your fights very carefully and go in when the enemy team has engaged on someone else. A big aspect of League is being able to pick good fights, not fight split, and just initiating well. Try not to dive in first and get focused down.
Honestly, I disagree. The worst thing any new player can do is play against bots. I never played against bots in my entire league gaming career and people who do tend to usually do very badly in actual games. (This is how you get players who get to lvl 30 with only 35 wins) I queued with my much higher level friends and got bashed a lot, and I played by myself and got bashed a lot. Honestly, all that bashing actually helps you. Because after a while, all that bashing makes you want to try harder and, actually, makes you learn more about the game. If someone's telling you, 'JESUS, WHY'RE YOU PUSHING YOUR LANE, YOU NOOB. LEARN TO LAST HIT!' then you can easily figure out that the higher elo players last hit and don't push their lanes so hard. Even though that guy was a jerk to you about telling you this information, that doesn't mean you can't take something from it before you mute him. :P

New players are afraid of playing normals because they think people will call them bad. And, honestly, they will call you bad. You just have to learn not to be afraid of what one person says about you in some random game. You have to observe your mistakes and understand why you died or why you lost. You can't use bots because you'll always win and they act unlike human players. In order to do well in this game, you have to make mistakes so you can learn from them. The more mistakes you make, the more you know about what not to do.

XxTHEArbiterxX

01-16-2013

Well I used to suck, and would go like 0/12/3. Play solo queue until you get better. Go to

twitch.tv and look at some pros. If you really like a champion, look up a current guide for them

on youtube. Play that champion until you start getting more and more kills with him/her. I

personally started with Ryze, and loved him. I played him for like 10 or 15 games straight,

and now I dominate with him. I go positive now in most of the games I play. Although I am

only level 16, I am a pretty good player for my level and experience. I now play with my level

30 friends and learn a lot from each and every game, win or lose. You will get sooooo much

better if you keep on trying.

Chillzilla

01-16-2013

I play bots often, but the reasoning is to try out new buy orders. As i enjoy winning on my main acct it requires a good buy order. Practice makes perfect, you can even use bots games to practice last hits, or even certain skillshots with different toons. By no means should bots be your main way of leveling but it does have its uses...