How to use Tristana to counter other champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Positive MD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-25-2010

I've been playing as tristana recently and i seem to lose a lot, particularly ,when i mid against certain other champions such as

nidalee- i can never seem to get into range to shoot her, and she always seems to hit me with her spear attack

Master yi- Alpha strike+wujustyle= dead trist

Corki- machine gun attack reduces armor, then he kill me

Dr.mundo- i think i kill him, then he puts on sadism and i die

Fiddlesticks-i dont think i've ever killed him ever Drain+terrify=dead trist

Janna- stupid whirlwind that get me airborne

Karthus- he uses that stupid ult and i die

Kayle- about to kill her, then she goes invinicible and kills me

kennen- she goes electric ball, then stuns me and i die

Morgana- She binds me to ground, then shields and runs away if im about to kill her

Tryndemere- about to kill him, then he does into endless rage then kill me

Twisted Fate- he stuns me, then kill me

Vlad- im about to kill him, then he turns into the pool and kills me

Warwick- He supresses me, and that usually kills me

also i use the usual combo for trist Rocket jump-explosive shot-ignite-rapid fire when trying to kill them, i throw in buster shot when i get it too, but i still seem to die

can someone tell me how to counter these heroes and maybe some other you can think of as trist ?
or give some tips in general on how to play as trist?

thanks

Positive MD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
Trist is a tricky champion to master because you really need to be able to judge how much damage you can output compared to your opponent. You need to know when to use your skills to kill a lot of the champions, and can't just use them all at once.

One example is with Fiddlesticks. The only way you can stop a Fiddlesticks from draining you is to either Rocket Jump/walk out of its range, or Buster Shot him to interrupt him, so it's usually best to save Buster Shot until then, or until when he Crow Storms.

For Tryndamere, it's kind of the same thing. You want to keep Buster Shot and Rocket Jump as long as possible so you can use it when he uses Endless Rage. You want to try and Rocket Jump away so he tries to Spinning Slash back close to you, then Buster Shot him away so he has to chase you again. You need to also try and predict when he will try and Mocking Shout you, and face him when he does so it doesn't slow you.

As for Janna's Howling Gale and Nidalee's Javalin Toss, when fighting them try and focus on how they are casting it, then sidestep it. You can see Janna's Howling Gale building up if she decides to charge it.

Tristana has the highest attack range in the game at level 18 (along with Kog'maw I believe), and has nice range up to that point as well. She can't really just jump in and try to kill people outright. You need to try and harass them down with your range until they are low enough that you have the advantage, then you can try and kill them. So my advice is to try and harass as much as possible first to take advantage of your higher range, then reserve your skills for the right moment that it can most benefit you. It takes quite a bit of practice. Hope that helps.

thank you

CalI Me Maybe

09-27-2010

If you have Ezreal, he can really teach you a lot if you play him frequently. Eventually, if you play Ezreal long enough, you'll probably realize you've gotten better at skill shots and dodging skill shots. He's great for learning those two things.

Warrrax

09-27-2010

You shouldnt be having problems vs ALL of those above heroes. All champs can be tough if played correctly.

The first thing to do is to stay inside your creeps. This negates many heroes right there, as they have 'skillshots' that grab you, shoot you etc.
For example, Morgana's stun shot. It hits creeps, so if you are surrounded by your creeps, you are invulnerable to her pretty much. Her range sucks, so you easily outrange her.
Ditto with Nidalee. Her spear is long range, but pretty slow. Should be easy to dodge.

Note that the opposite applies to those who spam their area of effect powers at your creeps.

You need to be ready to rocket jump to safety. Use this often! You are meant to pick at other players and deal heavy physical damage. You have Jump to get away from them, and also Buster shot to knock melee guys away from you.

You also can use survivability. I recommend getting PHAGE as your first item. Start with Dorans Blade. Then at 1200 gold, get phage which can Slow enemies, adds some damage and boosts your HPs.
You can later upgrade to Frozen Mallet which adds a LOT of HPs. But first, you will want another damage item such as Black Cleaver or Brutalizer.
This is very important at low levels when you are solo queued. You cant rely on teammates!

The best way to learn is to PLAY those otehr heroes. Start a 5v5 practice game vs bots whenever the server allows and use ALL the free-play heroes for that week. This helps you learn exactly what they can do, and thus how to counter them.

Valiant Turtle

09-27-2010

Several things that can help you:

1: Don't use rocket jump to initiate unless they are very low on health. You almost always want to save it for escaping. Offensive rocket jumps overall should be extremely rare.

2: Manage the creeps. This is the absolutely vital skill of last-hitting. You do not attack creeps at all until your shot will kill them. If you do it well and your opponent doesn't it will move the creeps closer to your tower which is exactly what you want. This keeps you closer to the safety of your tower and means your enemy is farther from his tower and vulnerable. The ideal spot is for the melee creeps to meet just beyond the range of your tower, and it's OK if your tower gets some of them as well. This is both counter-intuitive and very hard (I suck at it so do as I say, not as I do) but it's vital. It can be really tough for Trist due to the passive on explosive shot. When you need to leave lane ask a teammate to cover it while you go back.

3: Follow Warrax' advice about hiding behind your own creeps. I'd consider starting with Doran's Shield over the Blade though. You shouldn't be auto-attacking often enough to get much from the lifesteal. The HP regen on the shield may help more.

4: In the early game don't focus too much on attacking your opponent. The real competition is in last-hitting the creeps. It's fine to take a few regular shots now and then and if you dodge a skillshot you can open up with Q for a short bit and jump back to safety, but do not drain your mana harassing them and be careful pushing in for the kill.

Stillhart

09-27-2010

I find the best harassment early game is to use the active on exploding shot. It's a DoT so it does more damage than they think. It does a LOT of damage early on and it can lead to an early B for them, which means level gap for you.

Also someone else said, but it's worth restating: don't use your rocket jump to initiate! It's an awesome escape tool so you should only be using it to initiate if you're going to kill them in one burst (jump>explosive>ignite>buster>dead). In fact, until you know what you're doing, I'd say don't use it to initiate EVER. Don't think of it as an attack spell, think of it as an escape tool.

Trist can be awesome once you get to know her.

Positive MD

Recruiter

09-27-2010

thanks for the advice guys

Warrrax

09-27-2010

I would not use Q or Rapid Shot. Your auto attack is pretty weak early on and a 30% speed boost is very weak and a poor use of your mana. You would only use it when you are attacking the enemy tower to squeeze out some extra damage if you chased off the baddies and made then go back to base.

In fact out of her 3 skills, none of them are particularly valuable to level up early:

Quick Shot - already discussed. Nice to have it maxed out and available for midgame, but doesnt generally contribute anything during the first 10 levels or so.

Rocket Jump - just adds more damage. Jump isnt really an offensive move so more damage isn't all that useful. The cooldown reduction is nice but hardly matters that much. Who has ever used Rocket Jump and thought.."good thing I leveled rocket jump so I can use it in 16 seconds instead of 22!". It also resets when you get a kill or assist which makes the cooldown reduction even more irrelevant.

Explosive shot - Level 1 does 100 damage DOT which is about equal to 2 or 3 auto-shots. Its a great active. However, each level adds a whopping +25 damage which is weaksauce. Worse, its mana cost INCREASES proportional to the damage!
(level 1 = 100 dmg for 50 mana, level 5 = 200 dmg for 90 mana)
The passive starts at 50 and goes to 150. But early on, you dont WANT to push! This one can help you farm and get more money, but will also unintentionally push the more you level it.

So there is some debate over what to level. In any case, get 1 level in all 3 skills early but you can decide what to boost.

Random tips:

* You are a carry. You are weaker at first and stronger endgame. Don't fret if you get owned by the big tanks and spellcasters. Just dont get killed and farm and you will kick their butts in the end.

* Try rocket jumping OVER them and buster shotting to push them back into your teammate or tower or creeps. At the least, they will have a lot further to run to safety. Its a great level 6 manuever if the enemy is dumb enough.

Arkensth

09-27-2010

I think most of the champs have been covered already, but note that Mundo's Sadism + her E's active = sad Mundo. Plus, most good Mundos will only enter battle if they have it up, so expect them to pop it always.