Imo if we really wanted to Keep Oracle's Elixir, Here's a Somewhat Decent Solution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phil Nye

10-13-2012

Make its cost go up like every 100g each time the user dies. It may not deter intelligent map-aware tanky junglers, but it would definitely discourage relatively frail, gold-starved supports from rebuying it over and over again.

Unfortunately, this may backfire in solving the "soft snowball" effect it has on the game at the moment, but I'm sure it might make it worthwhile to pool together and make a surprise ambush on the enemy oracle's wearer to make it possible for a comeback if relatively close.

QargZer

10-13-2012

uhh.. 400gold is costly to rebuy. Making it cost extra every death is dumb.

Phil Nye

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QargZer View Post
uhh.. 400gold is costly to rebuy. Making it cost extra every death is dumb.
Except as we've seen by recent tournament gameplay, this isn't deterring most teams from rushing it and earning it off only to rebuy it and maintain strong dominance in map control.

ScorchXBanister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2012

This would only make the game more passive since whoever had it would avoid conflict at all costs

Communist Poppy

10-13-2012

This just makes it snowball even harder for the winning team.

Phil Nye

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchXBanister View Post
This would only make the game more passive since whoever had it would avoid conflict at all costs
That is a pretty good point I haven't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Poppy View Post
This just makes it snowball even harder for the winning team.
I think only in more extreme cases of "stomping" would this be more of the case. It only takes the realization of "hey, instead of investing in oracles to match when we could very well lose it, just because our oracle's user is behind, we can make a play early to take out the oracles user and set them back harder".

RageOnMe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2012

You dont realize how much gold is 400 for a support, it doesnt come easy those gp5 items and runes still do take forever for a decent gold profit, increasing it every time by 100 gold is just not a great idea.

Phil Nye

10-13-2012

Exactly, I don't think it's right that the support should be using it as a constant staple to begin with, it's not smart for a waning team to put the oracles on someone usually as fragile as the support, and conversely, it's annoying for the snowballing team to use the support as a supplement or alternative user, because it reduces how much the loss of one affects one team member.

Buying oracles for the losing team at a static price imo is more of a sinkhole against a team that's dominating, and becomes problematic with how you're just buying oracles to "even the odds" when they could easily put you down the hole more quickly. Conversely with an inflation, making the counterplay of holding off (or attempting to make due with pinks like near dragon to pressure into skirmishes), until a gambit is made by the slightly lagging team to erase the current oracles wearer, and then punishing a commanding lead set up with the oracles is what this is aimed at imo. It sounds sordid, but I do think it could turn out to make oracles more of a "high risk" item for a team trying to get a stronger lead.

Dillybear

10-13-2012

idk why they just dont make it last 5 mins like the proving grounds one. theres no reason not to

Phil Nye

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilybear View Post
idk why they just dont make it last 5 mins like the proving grounds one. theres no reason not to
Some people don't like the idea of an "expiration", I'm okay with it, but I'm trying to make speculation of some alternatives.