Demacia or Noxus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

grundomnia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

10-18-2012

Noxus will rise!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyann

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-18-2012

Noxus! <3


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

belthazor3457

Senior Member

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaalyo View Post
Rapidly changing your stance on everything you've ever argued, even what you've argued in this very thread, and then leaving the thread. It's amazing what happens when you're no longer allowed to use what happened in Vietnam as evidence for what Demacia would do in whatever situation. <3
So I checked in on this thread after leaving for a few days, curious where it went.

You seem to have mistaken my original stance in this thread. I didn't hold a position unrelated to Demacia V Noxus because I couldn't, it was because it didn't relate to my original comment and I didn't feel like it. I think you interpreted me maintaining that position as backing out of positions from previous threads.

Nope.

Quote:
Do you have any, ANY evidence of a person convicted of a crime as 'minor' as destruction of public property in Demacia, and the resulting sentence was some mind-blowingly draconic punishment that was one rung above public execution? You may use any such crime on that level or lower. I don't want to hear any response of "well there was this rape conviction and the guy was executed for it and that wouldn't happen in Canada"; that's not what people think of when they think of a truly corrupt, barbaric legal system where "there are no misdemeanors."
But, since you repeatedly stated that there wasn't evidence that Demacia behaved in a Draconian manner, and made claims related to misdemeanors, perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining this from Demacia's lorepage:

Quote:
Since the Demacian people pride themselves as the moral vanguards of Valoran, they adopt seemingly draconian measures to ensure that their moral code remains the only code by which one may live within the city-state. Crime in any form is harshly punished; there are no misdemeanors within Demacia.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThorRush

Senior Member

10-19-2012

belthazor, why are you continuing this? Did you finish reading that paragraph that you're using as evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/lore/demacia
Some detractors of Demacia (who criticize far from the reaches of the city-state) claim this as proof of its inherent hypocrisy. Demacians counter this argument by pointing out that their justice system incorporates benevolence and mitigation into its verdicts. No one is punished without fair and just consideration of the circumstances involved. While others may continue to criticize the harshness of Demacian law, the Demacians stand by their convictions.
There's clearly supposed to be a debate. Sivir's case (real life context that I normally would not bother looking up) was one exploration of it, but there hasn't been enough lore to prove conclusively that Demacia is either a perfect utopia or as bad as you say it is. In fact, it's probably somewhere in between, because, guess what, League isn't about black and white. One quote from countless ones:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
LoL is about champions that gray-scale in their ethos rather than just black and white.
If this still isn't enough ... Caitlyn and Jarvan's judgments offer evidence that Demacia is not lawful stupid. Yes, generally crimes are punished, unlike in Noxus where the strong or the smart can get away with anything. No, Demacia is not obviously an African totalitarian / fascist government.

Besides, if it was, would anyone still like the story? "The champion you thought was kindhearted and good actually willingly serves an evil empire that eats babies for fun, kthxbai"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dracorya

Senior Member

10-19-2012

Its like how people react when I tell them I love playing the paladin class. "Oh you like playing Lawful Stupid?"

Uh no...there's a difference between Lawful Good and Lawful Stupid. (Lawful Stupid can be labeled on evil people too you know).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

belthazor3457

Senior Member

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
belthazor, why are you continuing this? Did you finish reading that paragraph that you're using as evidence?



There's clearly supposed to be a debate. Sivir's case (real life context that I normally would not bother looking up) was one exploration of it, but there hasn't been enough lore to prove conclusively that Demacia is either a perfect utopia or as bad as you say it is. In fact, it's probably somewhere in between, because, guess what, League isn't about black and white. One quote from countless ones:

If this still isn't enough ... Caitlyn and Jarvan's judgments offer evidence that Demacia is not lawful stupid. Yes, generally crimes are punished, unlike in Noxus where the strong or the smart can get away with anything. No, Demacia is not obviously an African totalitarian / fascist government.

Besides, if it was, would anyone still like the story? "The champion you thought was kindhearted and good actually willingly serves an evil empire that eats babies for fun, kthxbai"
Indeed I did read that part, thor. Ultimately, which society is better and which society you'd like more come down to opinion. I have my own opinion, and someone else can disagree. And yep, it would be more tedious without that. However, the later quotes don't render the former quotes null and void - they split it by opinion. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the opinion can be disagreed on - but it doesn't render them (other parts of the article) inert.

As for Lohan... anyone remember the airport security incident (and Achmed)?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheKonpaku

Junior Member

10-20-2012

I can't choose Bandle City or Piltover? Well Demacia I guess, not because I dislike Noxus but because I hate their ally Zaun. Just looking at Zaun's cityscape makes me ill, who can live in that pollution!?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiest kyl3r View Post
If Demacia and Noxus did exist, which one would you support(join)?
Noxus.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsaalyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
belthazor, why are you continuing this? Did you finish reading that paragraph that you're using as evidence?



There's clearly supposed to be a debate. Sivir's case (real life context that I normally would not bother looking up) was one exploration of it, but there hasn't been enough lore to prove conclusively that Demacia is either a perfect utopia or as bad as you say it is. In fact, it's probably somewhere in between, because, guess what, League isn't about black and white. One quote from countless ones:

If this still isn't enough ... Caitlyn and Jarvan's judgments offer evidence that Demacia is not lawful stupid. Yes, generally crimes are punished, unlike in Noxus where the strong or the smart can get away with anything. No, Demacia is not obviously an African totalitarian / fascist government.

Besides, if it was, would anyone still like the story? "The champion you thought was kindhearted and good actually willingly serves an evil empire that eats babies for fun, kthxbai"
You pretty much said everything I wanted to say on the subject, thanks. Bolded part made me laugh. And Bel, you seem to operate under the belief that "there are no misdemeanors" equates to "you used quarter inch drywall when the fire code requires hospitals to use half inch? DEATH." There are many, many felonies that are not death sentences. It amuses me how critics want so badly to believe that Demacia is some ruthless monster of a state when all they do is actually enforce their laws with any kinds of deterrents.

This part is not directed at Bel, but more as a whole. It seems to me that people just want to be 'edgy'. They just want to believe that, because Kat is sexy, she must be the Mario of the story. Frankly, some people are under 18, are still being grounded for not doing their homework, and thus, the citystate that enforces laws and morals is the evil one. Some people here really need to grow up and learn how the world works. In b4 downvotes for this part, I'm totally expecting it, and that's fine. It is my opinion nonetheless. Once you start driving your own car and get rear ended by a pickup, you'll start respecting a strict legal system that holds people accountable for what they did wrong, even if they are bigger.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gwellaouen

Member

10-20-2012

I will choose Demacia. It seems, by the pictures of the two cities, it's more comfortable in Demacia. In Noxus, I would fear sleeping on the floor. Lol

And Xin Zhao is a demacian. ^^'