Make it so you CANNOT Insta-lock a champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sairek Ceareste

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Please make it so people can't just insta-lock a champion. I've literally had to dodge 3 games now in a row where everyone but me selected and locked a champion all claiming to be mid. Then they all begin sitting there and insulting each other, cursing and swearing, calling each other idiots when one is no better than the last person he insulted.

That's 3 games I've had to dodge now and haven't been able to play for an entire hour due to dodging time, because I didn't want to lose a game, let alone waste my time because people can't settle things.

I suggest adding at least a ten second delay or something before you can lock a champion. Please? I'm so sick of having to dodge games like this and I believe it would be fairly straight-forward to implement.

People should have to negotiate with their team to decide where they are going and what they are doing. Instantly locking means you don't want to negotiate, therefore you don't want to work with your team at all. Don't give people the option to do this.

ACGIFT

10-03-2012

I definitely agree with this; after all, preventing insta-lock wouldn't allow them to pick their champion, it'd just prevent them from eliminating a chance to fix a significant problem. Failed team compositions in champion select (often caused by insta-locking) are almost certainly the #1 cause of trolling and intentionally feeding in games.

I mean, a weird team comp (like 2 ADCs top and mid, with tanks going bottom) is one thing... But for a team to have any hope of success in a matchmade game, they need to start the match with at least a composition that everyone's on the same page for.

Gentleman Kina

10-03-2012

Someone who is dumb enough to instantly lock in a champion will not "negotiate" with anyone.

Sairek Ceareste

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinapuff View Post
Someone who is dumb enough to instantly lock in a champion will not "negotiate" with anyone.
And thus, that is why we should make it so they have to negotiate instead of just letting them insta-lock. Yes, they may be dumb. But having say, 5 people on a team that at least are on even terms is hell of a lot better chance of winning than 4 people trying to go mid, cussing each other out and 1 person face slamming their desk in frustration.

Gentleman Kina

10-03-2012

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for your suggestion to be implemented, but the point I was hoping to make is that there will still be a large portion of morons who will just sit there, watch as the timer gets to 0 and then go for their Akali top, or whatever.

ACGIFT

10-04-2012

Actually, I do feel that it would work and reduce cases; the problem is that you're thinking only in extremes. SURE, there will be the rare person that is going to intentionally troll no matter what. But most of the "bad apples" that appear are really just kinda agitated into it due to the toxic atmosphere that pervades champion select.

Forcing them to cool for 30 seconds before they can lock in would give them a chance to reconsider, and be reminded that there are REAL PEOPLE on their team.

Sairek Ceareste

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinapuff View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for your suggestion to be implemented, but the point I was hoping to make is that there will still be a large portion of morons who will just sit there, watch as the timer gets to 0 and then go for their Akali top, or whatever.
Yes, but it doesn't matter what kind of feature you impliment for those kinds of people. I'm not talking about those kinds of griefers, I'm talking about someone who simply picks a champion, and then locks it because they are saying "My role, my lane, no discussion". The kinds of people who want to win, but do not want to negotiate because they can decide if they want to or not.
You can't have that behavior in team selection to win. And I'm sick of either having to suck it up and most likely lose due to it, or take a queue dodge because 90% of the time for me nobody WILL dodge and then I'm wasting 20 minutes of my time. I don't mind losing, but only if it's an actual good game; not a face roll.

People who want to troll champion select by picking Revive/Clarity Warwick will probably make you lose the match anyways no matter what features you put in to try and keep them in check. Fortunately, there's a far more vast majority of players that I am talking about compared to the kinds of people you are talking about, thus such a simple feature should have at least some positive result, because at the very least, nobody should instant lock 4 mid champions. They will get a chance to say "Woah woah woah, hold on here!" And from there, may start some negotiations. Again, those kinds of people do want to win. They reason they insta-lock in the first place is probably to not jeopardize that win (even though they are) by picking what they are best (or feel they are best) at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGIFT View Post
Forcing them to cool for 30 seconds before they can lock in would give them a chance to reconsider, and be reminded that there are REAL PEOPLE on their team.

Exactly~

Nexttoradio

10-04-2012

I wrote about this nearly 3 months ago. Lots of people agree with you, but riot wont change it because others disagree. What I did (and still do) is report them post-game for not communicating with the team accompanied by an explanation. Just make sure you dont flame them ingame.

Sairek Ceareste

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexttoradio View Post
I wrote about this nearly 3 months ago. Lots of people agree with you, but riot wont change it because others disagree. What I did (and still do) is report them post-game for not communicating with the team accompanied by an explanation. Just make sure you dont flame them ingame.

I'm not going to take a loss and waste at least twenty minutes of my team to report them for something that isn't even going to be shown in the report.

Maybe once Riot includes a way for champion selection to be monitored for reporting, sure, but until then I'm not going to (and shouldn't have to) waste my time and energy.

Aggrbargl

10-05-2012

There's no downside to this (besides the work to implement it), and I believe at least a small percentage of current insta-lockers would prove willing to compromise without the "too late, locked in" excuse to justify their behaviour to themselves.