@Riot: A proposed solution to the language probrem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uke Yordle

10-15-2012

had a game today, i was leona and my entire team only spoke Spanish, its funny cause at the end of the game they started talking english even tho i asked them if they knew it earlier

even if players know more then 1 language they will use their most native language for communication, the only time i rarely see this is if they are alone but i always seem to find those dam 4man premades that choose to only speak spanish

GaafGrohiik

10-15-2012

another bump for logic, because morons are making threads with the entirely wrong mentality people should have about this issue.

CursedEgg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Another QQ thread

My first language is spanish, but I can speak english if i need to, but most of the games the only things that i need to use are things like "mia, care, back" or respawn times (blue, red, drag, baron).

Also 99% of my games are full of people that speak english, but they could be Americans or SA people, the only time i get people that speak other language is when they are premades (2 or more), but when i saw they just like 1% of the game they just dont try to communicate with the team.

I dont think this is a huge problem, before the BR server everyone said they were the trolls, but now they are in their own server, but we still have trolls (before honor too), most of the players are Americans and most of the trolls too.

And if you meet a 4 man premade that only speaks spanish, that isnt a problem, because you can still use things like mia, back or just pings, you dont need to have a conversation with they, you dont need to know about their lives or their families, just simple things about the game, if they dont want to comunicate you can just report, i have played with people that doesnt say anything in a 40min game

CursedEgg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecktheGolem View Post
I'll be honest, been around since beta on different accounts and I have not once played with a good player that spoke spanish.
3 years playing and you still use sona with Archangel staff? I dont think so.

GaafGrohiik

10-19-2012

another bump for logic since I've seen more posts about this topic. Would like more red input.

KCIV4

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaafGrohiik View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about South Americans playing on the NA server, inability to communicate, etc. This is not a "racist" or "American elitist" post, and neither is the argument as a whole. This game is big enough to accommodate the many languages spoken by its players, and there is zero reason why there shouldn't be some way to match people with other who speak their language.

What I propose is simple: Allow players to select (once per account, per lifetime) which languages they speak, or which languages they are comfortable playing with.

This would mean that everyone who doesn't care about the language barriers can select all of them, and play with anyone.

It would mean that people who spoke only English could be guaranteed to play with only English-speakers for the trade-off of potentially slightly longer queue times. I, for one, would be willing to wait an extra minute or two to ensure I'll be able to actually communicate with my team.

It would mean that bi or tri-lingual people, or anything along those lines could be matched with people with similar selections.

Also, I don't imagine this being a definitive matchmaking factor - it should prioritize language selection. However, I believe it SHOULD be a solid factor in ranked - at least among the same team.

Now, you may say "it'd be easy to troll! They'd just select every language!"

Guess what - too bad. Everyone has to deal with trolls. But in doing so that would mean they would exclude themselves from language-exclusive matchmaking. It would also mean that those trolls who select every language would be reported more efficiently, since troll logic would encourage them to select every language, and they'd be in a more contained player pool, thus making themselves more easily distinguishable from the masses.

Also, if someone trolled by selecting English and then only speaking Spanish - you can report them for refusing to communicate, and they get moved appropriately by Riot.

This game is too big to suit every player's needs and wants - but this debate is simple logic: people should be allowed to play with people with whom they can communicate. The game is based on teamwork, and you can only rely on pings so much.

Please consider this, Riot.

Sign if you see the sense in this, and would like to see a language filter.
i agree im sick of EVERYONE saying its racist to say i dont want to play with spanish only players.

GaafGrohiik

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCIV4 View Post
i agree im sick of EVERYONE saying its racist to say i dont want to play with spanish only players.
the problem is that a lot of people that share our frustration display their problem in the wrong way - *****ing about Brazilians and Spanish-speakers and saying they should gtfo of NA servers, and it turns into racist babbling.

This is not a racial issue - it's a communication issue. In a game that is fundamentally based on teamwork it is absolutely ridiculous that language barriers like this aren't at least manageable.

I do agree that Brazilians should be IP-restricted to playing in the Brazilian server - they are almost always consistenly over 150 ping, and when they don't DC continuously, they provide zero teamwork to the game. As far as Central America and Mexico - I believe they should be filtered by language.

tisin

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We've discussed a few times having some sort of solution that helps people play with people of their own language. Obviously, we've launched some platforms to help with this. But, we've also discussed either language preferential matching, or sub-territorial matchmaking. Recently, we instead built other features with those resources (most recently honor and spectate). We think that the rate at which this significantly impacts the enjoyment of players globally is actually a lot lower than you'd expect. These do come with trade-offsf -- if you have this, you will increase everyone's matchmaking queue times because there are less players doing 'the same' thing. (obviously there are ways to mitigate this somewhat). You also give people an incentive in some cases to lie about their language for ranked play in order to play vs a territory with less league of legends experience.

These tradeoffs are solvable, and mostly serve to increase the amount of effort we'd have to put in to do a good job -- which thus far has made other stuff like honor and spectate higher value for players.

That being said, I think it's an area we could improve, and I know we periodically assess if it's the right time to do it (usually by looking at chat log data, surveys, etc, and comparing to the other goals we are trying to support). We do have a lot of developers on social systems and player behavior, and this is the sort of feature they do periodically consider vs the other options.

Finnaly I see red post on this theme, hope this can bring good changens...

GaafGrohiik

10-28-2012

another bump for logic. Seriously - if you have input for this, upvote and bump to get more red attention. I'm not exactly satisfied with Zil's response.