@Riot: A proposed solution to the language probrem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strato5

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecktheGolem View Post
But not once have I seen a player that types only in spanish do well in a game that I've been in.
they cant even read guides cause they dont understand english, what do you expected?

selfmurder

10-15-2012

what is probrem?

MissBehavìn

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We've discussed a few times having some sort of solution that helps people play with people of their own language. Obviously, we've launched some platforms to help with this. But, we've also discussed either language preferential matching, or sub-territorial matchmaking. Recently, we instead built other features with those resources (most recently honor and spectate). We think that the rate at which this significantly impacts the enjoyment of players globally is actually a lot lower than you'd expect. These do come with trade-offsf -- if you have this, you will increase everyone's matchmaking queue times because there are less players doing 'the same' thing. (obviously there are ways to mitigate this somewhat). You also give people an incentive in some cases to lie about their language for ranked play in order to play vs a territory with less league of legends experience.

These tradeoffs are solvable, and mostly serve to increase the amount of effort we'd have to put in to do a good job -- which thus far has made other stuff like honor and spectate higher value for players.

That being said, I think it's an area we could improve, and I know we periodically assess if it's the right time to do it (usually by looking at chat log data, surveys, etc, and comparing to the other goals we are trying to support). We do have a lot of developers on social systems and player behavior, and this is the sort of feature they do periodically consider vs the other options.

to be blatantly honest zileas, increased queue times with the promise of not having to spend at extra 20-50 mins in a lost match because i cant communicate with a bunch of strangers from Brazil would be fine with me.

i cannot illustrate to you how LONG this has been a problem, how much it almost made me leave this game when it was an every match occurrence.

There are many reasons why its so important to separate them from NA players (they have diff play styles, they have lag frequently, a great deal of them only know the word noob and think it means Hello, some of them are even threatening, disrespectful and hate americans, etc"

it ruins the game for me, more so than the toxic players who rage. Because I can at least just report them after the game knowing the match is most likely not salvageable. But when your with even just 1 or 2 people who don't speak your language the communication barrier is such a handicap more often than not, that you leave the game feeling it was a waste of time completely. You cant report them obviously, you cant do anything to alleviate the problem.

So all that's left is the players being helplessly thrown into these matches whereas they receive the short end of the stick, while the enemy team might have complete cohesion and wreck them. I unfortunately speak from loads of experience here.

Please do something, because its really more than just annoying.

pumpedpenny

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We've discussed a few times having some sort of solution that helps people play with people of their own language. Obviously, we've launched some platforms to help with this. But, we've also discussed either language preferential matching, or sub-territorial matchmaking. Recently, we instead built other features with those resources (most recently honor and spectate). We think that the rate at which this significantly impacts the enjoyment of players globally is actually a lot lower than you'd expect. These do come with trade-offsf -- if you have this, you will increase everyone's matchmaking queue times because there are less players doing 'the same' thing. (obviously there are ways to mitigate this somewhat). You also give people an incentive in some cases to lie about their language for ranked play in order to play vs a territory with less league of legends experience.

These tradeoffs are solvable, and mostly serve to increase the amount of effort we'd have to put in to do a good job -- which thus far has made other stuff like honor and spectate higher value for players.

That being said, I think it's an area we could improve, and I know we periodically assess if it's the right time to do it (usually by looking at chat log data, surveys, etc, and comparing to the other goals we are trying to support). We do have a lot of developers on social systems and player behavior, and this is the sort of feature they do periodically consider vs the other options.

Thats great you think about it but whats going to be done about it? Thinking solves nothing, acting does.

Diss

10-15-2012

lots of ppl complaining about this.... i think you can go to in game chat and get 4 ppl to play a game that should fix your problem.

MissBehavìn

10-15-2012

or riot can just moderate their game and do something that should have been done as soon as they welcomed people across the world. Seperate by language or region. Most games do it for a reason.

Skygrip

10-15-2012

Great idea

program01

10-15-2012

The amount of xenophobia in this thread is too damn high!

Fugis

10-15-2012

One problem i see is high elo non-english speakers will have a very rough time finding matches.

GaafGrohiik

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIL B SWAG BASED View Post
I have a question a good on at that what if a spanish and english player played a game together like pre made
The language selection wouldn't prevent people from inviting friends with other selections to play with them.

My system is solely focused on preventing matchups with conflicting languages.

Based on what has been said so far here - I think the trade-off for slightly longer queue times in exchange for a team that speaks the same language is more than acceptable to most players.

@Zileas - the Honor system and Spectator modes were fine additions that helped positive play experiences in a lot of ways - but they really have nothing to do what I'm talking about... and seeing as how LoL is the most played game in the world right now, I think that focusing some attention on the language barrier- which seems to be a big issue for a lot of players - would be worthwhile.