How to win Dominion, in 2 words:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lycantrip

09-26-2012

"Adapt"

Edit: You're wondering what the second word is? It's not appropriate to say, so I omitted it.

If you're using the same damage build each game you're only going to succeed half the time, IF that. Too many of you kids join up and have your rigid build in mind before the loading screen even starts. If you're not playing draft (which apparently nobody does because the queue time is ridiculous) then your ticket to success begins at the loading screen. When you first see your opponent's line-up, assess their strengths and damage types. I don't care what champion you're playing you should always be able to adapt your build. Here's some things that Riot so thoughtfully gave us to arise to any situation:

AP CHAMPS
Versus AD: Frozen Heart, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Zhonya's Hourglass
Versus AD with little or no CC: Ninja Tabi
Versus AP: Merc treads, Athene's Unholy Grail, Abyssal Scepter, Odyn's Veil, Legion
Versus a mix: Merc treads, Legion, Abyssal Scepter, Zhonya's Hourglass, Guardian angel
Versus tanks with high HPS and MR: Get Voidstaff and Deathfire Grasp

AD CHAMPS
Versus AD: Frozen Mallet, Sunfire cape, Atma's Impaler, Thornmail
Versus AD with little or no CC: Ninja Tabi
Versus AP: Merc Treads, (possibly for some lifesteal champs) Spirit Visage, Wit's End, Maw of Malmortius, Odyn's Veil
Versus a mix: Merc Treads, Triforce, Legion, Guardian
Versus high HP tanks with thornmail: Get two lifesteal items and Kitae's Bloodrazor (eg, Stark's Fervor, Executioner's calling, Kitae's Bloodrazor)

Hard counters:
Versus Malzahar: Quick Silver Sash
Versus Sion or other healers/life stealers: Executioner's Calling (assuming you don't already have ignite. Since EC exists in the game i see no point in getting ignite when you can have Exhaust instead which is much better for skirmishes)
Versus Yorrick: Haven't figured this one out yet. A good Yori is just really freaking hard to beat. Perhaps you could buy him and learn to play him yourself.

Edit Edit: I'm not saying these should be your build, but consider adding or switching out some of your typical items for some/all of these.

Update: Stealthers
Don't know why I didn't think of this one before. Tools we have at our disposal: Oracle's Extract, Lightbringer, and Hextech Sweeper. Which one to use when? Well, right off the bat you're not going to have Lightbringer or Hextech Sweeper. In a coordinated team I recommend at least 1 player starting with the elixir (more often than not I find myself making the decision myself if to buy it or not since most players at my tier don't think of it) if you're going up against 2 or more stealthers. If nobody gets Oracle's by the first fight, and it goes well for your team, you can probably hold off on the Oracles. If your team fails, and Akali or Champion X gets some kills, you will then consider buying it to shut them down.

For the most part, if you're an AD champ you'll get Lightbringer and if you're AP you'll consider Hextech Sweeper. One of my new favorites for Dominion is Xerath. Probably THE most underplayed mage in LoL, let alone Dominion. Hextech Sweeper has become a core item on my Xerath simply because in order to best utilize his range you need to have vision on your target or you'll be making some shots in the dark. ie. Target darts into the brush or runs out of line of sight. This occurs frequently when soloing bottom tower and the Sweeper locks in kills often. Also a great way to scout brush simply AoEing brush or corners. Sweeper is win.

The downside of Lightbringer is obviously the fact that you must first hit your target, if they hit you first while stealthed it greatly diminishes the value of the item and I find myself getting oracles anyhow. Use your best judgement based on the situation.

ADAPT

FDru

09-26-2012

Rylai's and Mallet vs AD for why?

Lycantrip

09-26-2012

For health. HPs are highly underestimated on Dom. My favorite HP item is Warmog's but since we can't have that, I've adapted to using the damage/health items. Having armor and magic resist without HPs will just make you like a raw egg. Drop it and it'll smash everywhere. Add HPs and you'll be more like a hard-boiled egg. Drop it and it'll take a beating, but mostly stay together. Most of my dom builds will result in at least 3000 hps at lvl 18, 130 Armor and 130 MR depending on the situation. I'll aim for +180 armor vs AD, or +180 MR for AP. On the occasion that you totally dominate from the beginning and run into a ton of gold (aka "Fed" status) then sure, your damage build finally has a place in Dominion. Don't always count on that.

MMKH

09-26-2012

If the enemy has only one champ dealing either AD or AP damage, I usually just forgo buying a resist item that counters that type of damage unless it is core, and just avoid or focus said champ and ignore the rest until they are dead. If it's a ranged carry though, I would tend to do the reverse sometimes and rush a Thornmail because of the general threat they are when backed by supports.

I honestly don't have a mandatory item build either and my build is often affected by how much gold I have when returning to the fountain.

Demonite10

09-26-2012

AP Yi does well against Yorick. You can also fight him with a lifesteal-tank AD carry, and Skarner used to be a very good counter to Yorick(this might not have changed).

Tempestphile

09-27-2012

inb4 morello's evil tome on Sion

I think we can build on the list.

How about tanky supports?

ricedream5

09-27-2012

[QUOTE=Lycantrip;29657035]"Adapt"

AD CHAMPS
Versus AD: Frozen Mallet, Sunfire cape, Atma's Impaler, Thornmail
Versus tanks with thornmail: Get two lifesteal items and Kitae's Bloodrazor (eg, Stark's Fervor, Executioner's calling, Kitae's Bloodrazor)

1. Please don't suggest Sunfire cape...it's really really awful for its cost. This is an item that is LESS cost effective than its basic stats when most recipes are far MORE efficient than their basic stats...you overpay a ton for the passive when you probably have no mpen.
2. Kitae's Bloodrazor is also horrible. Try Wit's end instead of Kitae (if you REALLY have to attack the Thornmail people), which is more efficient for the magic damage AND has solid MR to resist the Thornmail as well as all other magic damage. LW is what helps most against Thornmail though, imo.
[\QUOTE]

Orphane

09-27-2012

Where that Warden's Mail at

IamBonez

09-27-2012

The best champions to put against Yorick are Cho'Gath and Nunu. Cho can sustain(Passive) off killing the ghouls that Yorick summons, while Nunu can just Consume(Q) them.

Lycantrip

09-28-2012

I appreciate the champion counters but in blind pick you don't get the luxury to counter. This is strictly item suggestions on my part.