Kha'Zix Issues From My Perspective

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taikero

10-01-2012

Hi, I've been playing Kha'Zix since he was released in a number of game modes. He is the most fun champion I have had the pleasure of playing so far in League of Legends. However, in my eyes he has some clear problems, and I thought I would offer my feedback on some of his pain points.

His E's animation speed is quite slow. It feels theatrical more than effective at times. Additionally, base E before evolution has a very small range. The cooldown is also very long on this ability but I understand that it is a very powerful mobility tool so care must be taken when adjusting this type of ability.

His W doesn't apply his passive without evolving it first, and its base damage is poor. Additionally, you only get healed by it if you're in the radius of the explosion, which is somewhat counter-intuitive.

His W is super expensive, so using it costs too much mana and soon Kha'Zix is left without any options but to return to base in standard Summoner's Rift games. Kha'Zix is able to do well in Dominion almost specifically because mana regeneration is increased there and the health packs return mana as well.

His ultimate takes a long time to become available again, so late game Kha'Zix is unable to engage in team fights regularly. His ultimate's cooldown should be much shorter at level 16 than at level 6.

His 1 second stealth duration combined with the cooldown before using successive stealths during his ultimate is very short for a champion who may or may not evolve this ability. Either the base version or evolved version needs some serious improvement.

Finally, Kha'Zix must build like an AD caster but has no reliable version of sustain. Spellvamp helps all his spells return life, but Spellvamp items contain AP, which Kha'Zix does not desire to gear for. Lifesteal items only help auto-attacks but contain lots of AD, which Kha'Zix wants. Unfortunately, he doesn't auto-attack a lot. Therefore, he splats much easier than a champion like Talon or Rengar who both have specific abilities that apply on-next-hit. Also, the only possible viable Spellvamp item for him, HexTech Gunblade, is not desirable at all until late game, as other items are more valuable early on. This reduces Kha'Zix's presence in lane/jungle when combined with high mana costs since he is unable to use the natural sustain on his W enough to remain relevant.

Kha'Zix is an incredibly fun champion to play, but he is also incredibly hard to do well with when mana is limited, sustain is nonexistent, and evasion capabilities of his stealth are so minimal. Once team fights start and he's used his first "charge" of stealth, Kha'Zix is almost guaranteed to be dead meat due to the issues I've illustrated in this post.

Please consider my feedback and add your own, if you feel so inclined.

WildLeon

10-01-2012

W mana cost could be adjusted.
Q could become On-Next-Hit.
His E is fine, and so is his R although i could see either increasing the evolved stealth to 2 seconds instead of 1. So it would be unevolved 2 times for 1 second each and evolved 3 times for 2 seconds(or 1.5 seconds would be more balanced)

Taikero

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildLeon View Post
W mana cost could be adjusted.
Q could become On-Next-Hit.
His E is fine, and so is his R although i could see either increasing the evolved stealth to 2 seconds instead of 1. So it would be unevolved 2 times for 1 second each and evolved 3 times for 2 seconds(or 1.5 seconds would be more balanced)
I imagine the mana cost will be adjusted on W. If not, Manamune almost becomes a viable item for Kha'Zix at some point (which is really counter-intuitive).

Q *could* become On-Next-Hit, but it would have to be handled carefully due to affecting his auto-attack range. Either it would temporarily increase his auto-attack range to be the same as the old Q, or his auto-attack range would have to always be the same as the old Q in order to be just as effective. I'm not convinced that Q becoming on-next-hit is the right answer, and I feel like the problem with his Q reveals a deeper problem with the mechanics of Lifesteal and Spellvamp that should be addressed at its core.

Namely, that Lifesteal should affect all physical damage from any champion-derived source, and Spellvamp should affect all magic damage from any champion-derived source. As it stands this is not the case, and Lifesteal only affects auto-attacks, which is great for AD carries but horrible for AD casters and assassins.

His E in my opinion just needs its animation to be sped up a little bit. Whether or not the cooldown changes, the real issue is that it takes a decent bit of time to actually jump where you want to be.

His R would be a lot better at 1.5 or 2 seconds, and would benefit greatly from a reduced cooldown mid-ultimate. As it stands, it's only marginally helpful and that mini-cooldown is very restricting and painful.

Arcanamoon

10-02-2012

He Stealth could have a small rework to be like Rengar ult, a long duration Stealth which he can reactivate for the rest of the duration each time he broke it

I mean if Kah Zix broke the Stealth at second 4, with a .5 of rechar to reactive, he can reactivate it and second 5 and still have 2 more seconds of stealth, at last, Kha Zix have a masive cooldown for no reasome

Xian Shadowsong

10-02-2012

What i find a problem is that his first skill is a cast spell rather than an on hit effect... If it were an onhit he would become a much more effective assassin, with much better usability.

AlphaWolvesGamer

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Shadowsong View Post
What i find a problem is that his first skill is a cast spell rather than an on hit effect... If it were an onhit he would become a much more effective assassin, with much better usability.
If his Q was an on-hit ability, it would be MUCH harder to clearly hit an Isolated target. I've had several times I had my Q ready to cast and before I could use it, they get next to minions after the wave was pushed. Imagen having to use it, and then going "Ah crud, just wasted it cuz its on my basic attack, but their lane got pushed before I could use it D:"

I like the way the Q is now, but I do wish it dealt slightly more damage while slightly less damage on isolated targets.

Xalthorn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

I can understand the design decisions behind forcing Kha to be inside the explosion radius to gain the heal from W and his lack of effective sustain options, he is an assassin after all and designing him to be sustainable is merely designing for the meta and not attempting to give him a true unique edge.

The problem that I feel most when playing Kha is that his abilities without any evolution just feel too lack-lustre, pre-16 he just doesn't feel powerful enough, not to mention that one ability (whatever it may be) that you leave un-evolved always feels like wasted space. I'm honestly fine with an assassin champion being incapable of building effective sustain as long as he makes up for it in another area, which currently he does not.

Xalthorn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolvesGamer View Post
If his Q was an on-hit ability, it would be MUCH harder to clearly hit an Isolated target. I've had several times I had my Q ready to cast and before I could use it, they get next to minions after the wave was pushed. Imagen having to use it, and then going "Ah crud, just wasted it cuz its on my basic attack, but their lane got pushed before I could use it D:"
On-next-hit abilities reset the attack timer anyway, so provided you were in attack range when you activated the ability it would actually hit faster than it currently does due to it's cast time, so your concern wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Taikero

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalthorn View Post
I can understand the design decisions behind forcing Kha to be inside the explosion radius to gain the heal from W and his lack of effective sustain options, he is an assassin after all and designing him to be sustainable is merely designing for the meta and not attempting to give him a true unique edge.
The problem is that his stealth doesn't provide him with enough protection during a team fight to actually do the damage he needs to do (such as preventing/breaking CC while he's stealth, or lasting longer than 1 second).

Because of this, the only option is to attempt to itemize for sustain, especially since his W is high mana cost and is only really useful when evolved (and even then, you have to be right next to the opponent it hits to receive any health back, meaning you're already in great danger).

Quote:
The problem that I feel most when playing Kha is that his abilities without any evolution just feel too lack-lustre, pre-16 he just doesn't feel powerful enough, not to mention that one ability (whatever it may be) that you leave un-evolved always feels like wasted space. I'm honestly fine with an assassin champion being incapable of building effective sustain as long as he makes up for it in another area, which currently he does not.
This is why I addressed these issues above, because though the ideas behind his abilities are strong, the execution isn't quite there yet. Unevolved, many of his abilities (other than his Q, that's just fine) just don't have the necessary punch to justify them, and even some of his evolved abilities don't fully work either (W with tons of mana, have to be right next to enemy hit to get healed, R has cooldown mid-ultimate, R lasts 1 second for every activation, etc.).

Long story short:

Q is great whether evolved or not. Evolving is just nice extra damage and range. Perfectly designed and executed (no pun intended).
W needs a mana reduction and the heal should always work if a target is hit by any of the projectiles. Being in the blast radius should not matter.
E is great evolved, but could use a slight range increase/cooldown reduction unevolved.
R has a high cooldown, and 1 second of stealth on a 3 second cooldown mid-ultimate is not enough protection for an assassin trying to survive a team fight. 1.5-2 seconds with a 1-1.5 second cooldown (to prevent using charges needlessly) would be more than fine.

Taikero

10-02-2012

Quote:
On-next-hit abilities reset the attack timer anyway, so provided you were in attack range when you activated the ability it would actually hit faster than it currently does due to it's cast time, so your concern wouldn't be too much of a problem.
This is undesirable and frankly, overdone. We don't need Kha'Zix to be Rengar or Poppy. We need AD Caster itemization mechanics to be fixed.