Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rhiljeryne

10-01-2012

I'll be curious to see the results on the correlation between honor and other variables like toxicity, elo, champion type etc. once you get enough data. I can already see potential interactions with tribunal or at least providing more information to help with its analysis.

Mr Mystical

10-01-2012

this is a very good addition to the LoL community -- finally a way to reward positive behavior which is so much needed in this community. Thanks RIOT!

Snowdragon2

10-01-2012

very nice addition ive had times when im basically leading the team and we are slaughtering them and have ONE opponent pick it up for them and give us a challenge as a final stand, it improves my experience of the game those types of enemies make you rethink strategy i will use this for those few enemies i meet along the way ^~^

TeIndo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Riot reads Feed back. <3
That is terrific. <3 <3

Snowdragon2

10-01-2012

very nice addition ive had times when im basically leading the team and we are slaughtering them and have ONE opponent pick it up for them and give us a challenge as a final stand, it improves my experience of the game those types of enemies make you rethink strategy i will use this for those few enemies i meet along the way ^~^

Adorable

10-01-2012

1st game after honor is introduced:

-After Kha'Zix (top) roams around a bit early game and doesn't get anything out of it, mid and jungle immediately begin to curse at him for the rest of the game.

Great.

White Hawk

10-01-2012

Does the amount of honor you receive vary with how honorable the person you are getting it from is? For instance would a summoner is very honorable but only gives out honor in exceptional circumstances be giving out the same amount of honor as a summoner who is a fairly neutral community member, but is far more liberal with their honor?

Arcane Azmadi

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falzarr2 View Post
In concept it's a nice system, but In my personal opinion there is no point in implementing a system that does nothing other than add a UI element to the client that makes people feel good about themselves.
WHY NOT?

Seriously, this is a GAME. Why wouldn't you implement a feature that allows people to feel good about themselves? What do you even play for, anyway?

Randomocity132

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There's several problems here:

Having been immersed in the field of neuroscience and psychology, I'm very familiar with the studies you are alluding to. However, you lack major pieces of information. For example, do you know how intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards influence behaviors? Which one is more likely to encourage permanent change?

Compare the following: Who would the system identify if we announced tangible rewards? Is this the same population that the current system (without rewards) would identify today? If these two populations are different, why would we choose one over the other?

Secondly, this is game development. It's not a lab where we can control every variable. This is the difference between academia and industry. Players will try to abuse the system and unexpected behaviors will be born. The key is iteration. In a perfect world, you assign a team of 20 machine learners and predictive modelers to try to predict every possible outcome of the Honor Initiative, then launch everything at once and no iterations are required and the system is perfect. Is that reasonable? No.

You have to work on these systems and iterate over time. Release features. Collect data. Analyze data. Iterate. Collect data. Analyze data. Re-iterate. Repeat. It's how a scientist would do it and at Team Player Behavior, this is how we do it.
Lyte, I don't know a whole lot about you, but I think you're pretty awesome to take time to talk to the playerbase like this.

A Super Saiyan 3

10-01-2012

Dota commendations? wtf