Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ecclesian

10-01-2012

I am very happy to see this. Just last night I was complaining about how players in this game talk more trash against their own teammates than any game I have ever played. Its nice to see something like this where you can recognize good teammates. Furthermore, I am very impressed by the consideration of Riot for players who are honorable and love this game.

Morgra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Yay, thank you Lyte for this! Now I can report those people I liked playing with for.. Positive Behavior!

ZeroKuno

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
._. After making twenty or so posts supporting the Honor system, I make one post noticing an apparent inconsistency in what Lyte said and I get people assuming I'm jumping down Riot's throat.

But look at your last two paragraphs. If Riot was just focusing on people 'who love to help and are just simply nice', it wouldn't make sense for them to make an Honor system. So the fact that they're making an Honor system plainly means they're not just focusing on those people.
The last two paragraphs didn't really target you. You are correct in saying that the Honor system isn't targeting just the people that are nice. In my eyes, it's another criteria to categorize toxic players.

Also, I am just pointing out that you may make an assumption out of Lyte's words when he probably meant a change of attitude in this game and not a permanent change in people. I don't know what that whole conversation was anyways that started off by a troll. I don't get it since in my eyes it was irrelevant but I can't seem to see this continuing based off of some troll that posted. (not you but Praetor)

FoS Charizard

10-01-2012

So is there a way to veiw your honor?

DeePok

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik Vancoor View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAP...Gz1wh5DmBLVGIQ

Fantastic video which I immediately thought of upon reading this.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I cannot express how much i want to thank you for introducing me to the RSAnimate video series!
(Although that didn't stop me from trying eh?)
I have been thinking about going into psychology for a while now and i must say that viewing those videos on RSAnimate have realy helped me make up my mind.

kopiz

10-01-2012

Smart

Sarkhon

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKuno View Post
You mean if Lyte speaks about permanently changing peoples behavior for League of Legends then it holds true. I wouldn't say permanently meaning a Human change of heart in all cases.

Some of you guys take this to the extreme when this is just a good feature to have. I am completely cool with it not having any rewards what so ever. Just being recognized and appreciated as an honorable player is 100% enough for me anyways.

People who love to help and are just simply nice doesn't need a reward. We do it for you guys not to get something out of it.
Since when did "Help" or "nice" translate into wanting something in return?

In all honesty, there is no need for a reward system for this at all. I am playing League of Legends not League of Honor.
Right. But the goal here is to reward those players and inspire those who currently aren't nice players. Currently you are rewarding good players with a number and failing to inspire others to stop being trolls.

Merlin the Tuna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkhon View Post
My biggest problem with all of this, isn't the fact that it accomplishes next to nothing in regards to preventing being trolled, it's the fact that hours were spent programming this and researching it only to come to an end product that rewards good behavior with a number that doesn't do anything, and doesn't deal with the problem of getting trolled.
Here's where I'm going to assume that you don't work in IT.

You're absolutely right on target that this had a lot of effort put into getting it live. And it's also probably on target that the adoption rate will be pretty low right until honor has an effect on matchmaking or earnable rewards. But where you're way off the mark is in believing that we've seen an "end product."

This is a foundational release. And very clearly so. Creating bonuses or purchasables for Honor is chump change compared to getting the guts of the system working. By splitting this into a multi-phase project, you end up with a couple of nice gains:
  • You get something out the door, which is both a nice attention getter for the audience (things are happening, and they aren't just Irelia nerfs!) and good for empoloyee morale
  • You get to iron out major bugs before they bite you. If two days from now, we find out that there's a way to get 256,000 honor instantly, that gets fixed without needing to worry excessively about damage control and rollback activities
  • You set up a base which makes your future release more valuable. E.g. If hitting 200 "Friendly" honor earns you a bonus skin starting in January (date pulled out of thin air), anybody who has chosen to not act like a complete tool between now and then potentially gets it on day 1, and jerks do not.
  • You stabilize expectations among design & development, which helps stabilize release planning & scope

For comparison, I spent some time working at a company that develops and installs healthcare software. Most hospitals have literally dozens of applications -- one for registration, one for scheduling, two or three for medical charting, one for the pharmacy, a couple for radiology, etc. -- and in the case of multi-hospital systems, they often have different applications per building. In many cases, those apps have limited (and/or very complicated) communication abilities, so by installing our integrated suite of products we could add a lot of value to both medical staff and to IT staff in charge of maintaining everything.

In cases where we were implementing 10 different apps for 3 hospitals, we absolutely never would have all 30 go-lives simultaneously. We might deploy all 10 for one hospital, or deploy 4 apps across all 3 hospitals, but going big-bang with everything carries a HUGE amount of risk and means you gain ZERO benefit until you are 100% done with everything. We would much rather save everyone time and money during patient intake NOW and finish up the clinical systems over the next 12 weeks. And if somebody decides that, hey, the Emergency Department software should be replaced on top of everything we were already doing, we're not going to hold out on sending everything else into production while we begin the lengthy process to get the ED in order.

Similarly, we would typically take in historical data from the previous systems to establish some continuity -- if our system goes live on 10/1/2012 and you saw your doctor on 8/1/2012 when they were using the old applications, neither you nor your doc is happy if that information is missing in the new ones. But it would be completely insane of us to try to pull that information forward on 10/1 because we know that there are going to be a lot of other issues to deal with at the time. So instead we'd pull that information in three weeks prior, giving us time to check it out and make sure it's in order before we have doctors and nurses yelling at us that we were killing babies. (Which we generally got 1 or 2 of anyway. It's nice to keep the count low, though.)

From a psychology perspective, having a system that rewards good behavior in the game makes perfect sense. From an IT perspective, creating a stable platform first and implementing particular outcomes later makes perfect sense. While this release is a little bit underwhelming on the user side, it very clearly makes for a gateway to bigger and better things. There's not much reason to freak out about enacting this in phases.

Stiletto

10-01-2012

Yesss, this is what the game needs! Love you, Riot devs.

seamonkeychar

10-01-2012

Love it!!! Great move in the right direction Riot!!