Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foxgirl pet

10-01-2012

i really like this idea, instead of just exclusively punishing for negative behavior, you are rewarding positive behavior really good idea guys, nice idea

Decaflame

10-01-2012

I don't understand what people aren't understanding about this program.

1. It's not intended to replace the Tribunal. Ragers/Quitters will still be punished through that system. It simply is there to recognize players that are routinely doing good in their games and making the games an enjoyable experience.

2. Lyte has repeatedly stated that the system will likely ultimately incentivize good behavior, but that this mechanic has not been implemented yet. Nobody is saying this is the finished product or that all behaviors will immediately change in the first day of its implementation. Riot simply wishes to gather data as part of a pilot program on how players use the system and how weights could be applied to good behavior.

And if you think they should've released a completely formed system with a rewards program in place and just foisted it into the production environment then I suspect you haven't ever dealt with a large scale implementation or rollout, as nearly every such deployment requires piloting and iteration to get things right. No matter how much time you spend on internal testing and brainstorming, you can basically never account for every single issue in a system before rolling it out.

ZeroKuno

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Uh...you did mention intrinsic vs. extrinsic rewards and the difference in inspiring permanent change in player behavior. That does certainly have implications.
You mean if Lyte speaks about permanently changing peoples behavior for League of Legends then it holds true. I wouldn't say permanently meaning a Human change of heart in all cases.

Some of you guys take this to the extreme when this is just a good feature to have. I am completely cool with it not having any rewards what so ever. Just being recognized and appreciated as an honorable player is 100% enough for me anyways.

People who love to help and are just simply nice doesn't need a reward. We do it for you guys not to get something out of it.
Since when did "Help" or "nice" translate into wanting something in return?

In all honesty, there is no need for a reward system for this at all. I am playing League of Legends not League of Honor.

WarlordAlpha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Where did I say we were trying to permanently change people?
I think the idea behind that comment was more with respect to the Tribunal than the Honor system.

NovaCaster0

10-01-2012

Just like to say this seems likes awesome idea and with rewards it'll make players strive to be decent gamers good on ya Riot

MathMage

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKuno View Post
You mean if Lyte speaks about permanently changing peoples behavior for League of Legends then it holds true. I wouldn't say permanently meaning a Human change of heart in all cases.

Some of you guys take this to the extreme when this is just a good feature to have. I am completely cool with it not having any rewards what so ever. Just being recognized and appreciated as an honorable player is 100% enough for me anyways.

People who love to help and are just simply nice doesn't need a reward. We do it for you guys not to get something out of it.
Since when did "Help" or "nice" translate into wanting something in return?

In all honesty, there is no need for a reward system for this at all. I am playing League of Legends not League of Honor.
._. After making twenty or so posts supporting the Honor system, I make one post noticing an apparent inconsistency in what Lyte said and I get people assuming I'm jumping down Riot's throat.

But look at your last two paragraphs. If Riot was just focusing on people 'who love to help and are just simply nice', it wouldn't make sense for them to make an Honor system. So the fact that they're making an Honor system plainly means they're not just focusing on those people.

Natsuaga

10-01-2012

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I feel that if you base match making off of honor, there could be a potential "honor hell" the same way there's an "elo hell". People who are massive trolls aren't going to be likely to honor their team mates, so a good player would have trouble getting out. That being said I absolutely love this honor idea, and your idea about putting in some kind of incentive is very good

Sevorast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

People act the same way their favorite streamers and pro players act, which is to say for the vast majority of people: really badly.

Top streamers and pro players aren't going to care about honor, so most of the normal players will also not care, because not caring is cool.

And so the constant blame game and inability to take personal responsibility continues. Until such a time as Riot starts holding pro players to a code of conduct outside of tournament matches. Which is likely not ever going to happen.

And so the community will remain garbage, because there is garbage at the top and nobody seems to care. Call it the trickle down garbage community theory.

GrayfiaLucifuge

10-01-2012

This is probably the best thing Lyte has posted, ever; That's no mean feat, since he managed to set the bar so high before anyway. Big thumbs up for listening to the community once again and pushing forward the positive message to counteract the negative toxicity-breeding that the tribunal typically brings, despite its effectiveness.

JayDizzel

10-01-2012

This is a really damn good idea.. Good thinkin!!