Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Barioth

10-01-2012

I also think that if added to the system, rewards should be only stuff like badges, nothing like a free cheap skin, or like 50 RP, anything that makes the system "profitable", like the tribunal IP. People must give honor only if they really want to, not for prizes and stuff.

EDIT: forgot to add referral system, that got people doing referral scheme with dozens of accounts and ruining low level normal games.

Praetor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy1 View Post
My guess, when people are told they will get a tangible reward, they go out of their way to modify their base behavior to get said reward, then revert back to the original behavior, requiring a constant loop of reward to keep the positive behavior present. Where as when not told but rewarded later, they tend to actually change behavior on the hopes that they will be rewarded again.

Not a psych person, but that seems a reasonable assumption.
A person that acts as though they're a "good" person is more apt to become said "good" person, due to habit and the such. It takes ~10 weeks to develop a healthy habit, after all.

AllyMcBee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Also, rewarding (hinted at since this is "phase 1 of an experiment") people for not being a jerk seems counterproductive. The positive pillars in the community should behave the way they do because they are, in fact, positive people. You took away Tribunal rewards to see if the accuracy of decisions would be changed (because in theory the people who want to improve the community will continue to participate in the Tribunal), so what would the point be here? There is no psychology behind it, the toxic players you hope to improve won't change their behavior...

Sydelle

10-01-2012

Thank you.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-01-2012
12 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barioth View Post
People that play with invited friends will trade honor for sure, and since they keep playing, the honor will be replenished. And no one will be able to report or punish them becauyse they wont say in team chat "hey man give me honor after the match", the deal will already be set before game begins.

Meaning the more you play with friends, the more honor you will have, i think the system is broken.
Unless you can't honor people in your group, only those you met randomly in queue. If this happens then the system will be good. Otherwise i don't see need for a honor system which you can reward your friends. Smurfs will abuse this for sure if it can be used in group.
Don't worry! We've taken a lot of extra measures to prevent premade abuse. In fact, we even normalize the data such that if you play 1000 games, you don't necessarily have an Honor advantage over someone who plays only 100 games.

The Honor Initiative recognizes stuff like the source of your Honor (random players give you the most value!) and the percentage (and not the raw number!) of games that you are Honorable in.

VoltNinjA

Senior Recruiter

10-01-2012

Will there be an Honor Ranking?

AllyMcBee

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barioth View Post
I also think that if added to the system, rewards should be only stuff like badges, nothing like a free cheap skin, or like 50 RP, anything that makes the system "profitable", like the tribunal IP. People must give honor only if they really want to, not for prizes and stuff.

EDIT: forgot to add referral system, that got people doing referral scheme with dozens of accounts and ruining low level normal games.
Exactly.

Praetor

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltNinjA View Post
Will there be an Honor Ranking?
If you mean, "Is there a way to know if I'm a better person than someone else?" then yes: societal norms are the barometer.

Barioth

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Don't worry! We've taken a lot of extra measures to prevent premade abuse. In fact, we even normalize the data such that if you play 1000 games, you don't necessarily have an Honor advantage over someone who plays only 100 games.

The Honor Initiative recognizes stuff like the source of your Honor (random players give you the most value!) and the percentage (and not the raw number!) of games that you are Honorable in.
Another player just clarified that for me, but thanks for answering. If people don't find an easy way to exploit it, this system might be a good addition.

MathMage

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
I will abstain. Just as in life, if there is an incentive, things are more apt to be done. This has been proven via various forms of government throughout time. I know you didn't want to discuss rewards, but to come out and say explicitly that you're treating your customers as a project is amoral.
Exactly: performing a social science experiment of this sort on the League population is amoral, that is, not a moral discussion.

As for your abstension, you're exactly the sort of person the experiment is designed to ignore, so you're functioning entirely within expectations.