3 flaws in ranked provisional matches (your first 10 matches)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pr0n0un

09-29-2012

1] Triple gain/loss for ranked newbies.
Most first time ranked players are at a disadvantage because they have no idea how to play LoL competitively- objectives, warding, roles, meta, counter-picking, etc.
Seeing as how there is no tutorial for ranked (hint hint), your first few matches are basically your training matches. You're essentially giving triple gain/loss ELO to players for their training matches...

2] Veterans matched with newbies.
It's a nightmare for players who's true ELO is ~1200, because you're constantly matched with first time ranked players.

3] Why 10 games?
As an individual in a game with 9 other players, all with varying skill levels, it takes hundreds of games to reach your true ELO. 10 games is nothing. Giving triple gain/loss in your first ten games doesn't really make sense, and 10 seems like an arbitrary number.
Think of it this way. Having an AFK on your team in a provisional match, causing a loss, results in losing ~30 ELO. You have to win 3 post-provisional games just to make up for that one loss, gaining only ~10 ELO for each game. Again, that's over 2 hours of game time to make up for 30 min of bad luck...

Solutions?

-A player must complete a ranked tutorial mode before entering a ranked game. Skills that would be tested might include: last hitting minions, warding, jungling, tower hugging, itemization, objectives, and the dangers of feeding.
I know that seems like a lot, and might discourage casual players from completing the tutorial, but that's kind of the point. Ranked is competitive and should be taken more seriously, which is another problem entirely.

-A player's invisible Normal game ELO at level 30 determines at what ELO you enter Ranked games. Not perfect, but better than bonus gain/loss in my opinion.

I don't think these ideas are anything new. I'm sure Riot has these concepts on the table already, they just need a push from the community in a certain direction.

Zodiark

09-29-2012

There is no need for a ranked tutorial. People just need to prepare themselves before going into ranked or fail like most. I do feel bad for the people who really are 1200 though.

AlexPie2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2012

i like the idea of having more than 10 placement matches

riotpls

Zodiark

09-29-2012

You still have increased gains/losses after the first 10 matches. They are just a bit smaller.

H4CK4RT

01-18-2014

Totally agree.
Just lost a provisional because of my jungler ragequitting at level 7.
I'm not saying we could of won this easily, my last pick support watched me getting zoned by thresh and did nothing, my mid laner didnt speak a single word the whole game and played as gragas and was terribad, which also explains why our jungler lost patience because she was getting ambushed at her red since gragas wasnt calling mias. Anyway, I felt like i was in bronze again...
One thing that i've learned in ranked games is to never give up because LoL is all about making mistakes and everyone knows how bad some people can get/be in bronze/silver. A single mistake made by one individual in late game can cost you the whole game. I wish my teammates would keep this in mind even tho we're falling back in a game doesn't necessarily means its a lost.