The two MOST common LoL misconceptions.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

agbudar

04-26-2013

just as a side note i as a support often have around 10-40 cs depending how the game goes if it goes bad i take more cs so i can fulfil my role better adc's at this point if you lose tower go for the team fights and the laning phase is over no support can do its job when you need to make clutch plays without cs thats just kidding yourself if you need them wards quick you need to take cs.

Busty Demoness

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2013

In my opinion, if an ADC cannot secure CS for some reason, but the support can, LET THE SUPPORT GET IT.

TheXthDoctor

04-26-2013

The meta is what it is for a reason. The OP obviously doesn't know this reason.

Gath Immortal

04-26-2013

sheeple downvoting a great thread, learn to read you illiterate scum.

Ezrianne

04-26-2013

I'll agree with your first point, tentatively. As a support player, I think it's kind of silly to assume that supports best operate with no gold and should let the ADC have it all. Yes, it's handy for the ADC to have as much gold as possible. But to some degree, so should the rest of the team.

If we were in the old meta, it would be extra-important. Unfortunately, ADC isn't the sole means of carrying a team anymore. More often than not in games today, we have bruiser-tanks who deal more damage with more survivability than the average ADC, and they're usually the ones wrecking. Creep farm is not the end-all be-all for that class.

But here we have supports - a support is capable of being extremely useful and powerful, but rarely will he/she ever get to a full build. Why? Because they spend most of their disposable income (and there's not much) on wards / sightstone early and spend the rest of the game hoping for assists and their gp10s to farm up so they can buy aura items. I think it's kind of nonsensical to demand the warding role have 0 cs when a powerful support has so many benefits, including protecting that ADC.

I've carried as ADC when I had a support taking farm in bot lane. Because we also had good ganks, an aggressive lane presence, and a couple of kills (not 10 in 15 but still good). Supports with a little extra gold are handy for that lane presence. Also, the ADC can ward. Shocking, I know. >_<

It's ultimately situational though, and depends on how your lane partner feels (especially in solo queue). Nowadays it's more common for people to expect a 0 cs support because that's 'how the pros do it' and 'meta'. It's important to not start a fight with your lane partner that will ruin the game for everyone else over a strategy feature; I just think it's also important to realize that a duo-farm bot lane is plenty viable - it has pros and cons just like 0 cs support does. Hell, 0 cs support has not been around since the beginning of LoL. I distinctly remember duo-farm bot for quite a while there, around the same time as ADC mid. :P

Sometimes I feel like the LoL meta is 1984 doublethink: the meta is this, the meta has always been this, the meta will always be this (until it changes).

Frostedluck

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-26-2013

Tldr

MathMage

04-26-2013

The second point is true...at low Elo. I honestly think ADC/support duo is not optimal play at low Elo. A double-bruiser bot lane can easily make mincemeat of low-Elo duo lanes and 5v3 the map. Once you reach a decent Elo, though, the poke and kiting of an ADC lane outplays most unconventional setups.

The first point is just bad math.

mrdude5410

04-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymc1130 View Post
You might check my second paragraph. It clearly states that ADC has priority. And I would agree cs is safer than an engagement. That being said, if you never engage your opponent to take them down, you lose the game any ways. Again, common sense. In all warfare those who dictate the pace of action the best are the ones who win. Common sense since Sun-Tzu wrote the Art of Warfare. If you are not dictating the action you are losing. (Of course if you dictate the action poorly you lose too, so don't just rush into fights willy nilly. Set yourself up for a good fight by harassing the enemy into a position to be slain.)
First off I'd like to say that supports are by no means locked in to 0 CS, but if the adc can take a last hit, you should give it to them. They scale off of gold way better than you do. If they're away or you're shoving a lane or whatever, then yeah, go ahead, last hit away, but you're only taking power away from your highest sustained damage source if you take CS away from them.

If you're harassing well enough to zone them out of CS, you don't need to kill them to take their tower, although obviously a kill or 3 helps. You can dictate the pace of action without directly getting into knock down drag out fights. Remember that most fights end with the "winning" side also fairly low on health, so if you have to back or get killed by the jungler right after the fight, you just forfeited your advantage. You could literally win a game with 5 kills to 2 total just by getting an early lead and extending it. Kills don't win games, the nexus does. Don't confuse this with team deathmatch.

You're also forgetting that people become much less valuable with each death, so if you kill their adc 5 times, you're only going to get like 127 gold by the end of it, at which point just out CSing them really hard is what wins you the lane. There's no point in missing a creep wave and a half to towerdive someone worth 150 gold, you can make that back and more in just one wave.