Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The two MOST common LoL misconceptions.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jaymc1130

09-29-2012

I understand that there is a status quo in LoL and that many players, having seen it have some success, refuse to buck it. But let's examine the two most common misconceptions in LoL.

Many players believe that a "support" playing bottom lane with and adc should not take creep spawn. THIS IS PROBABLY THE DUMBEST THING ANY ONE HAS EVER THOUGHT OF. Of course the bottom lane support player should take some cs. Does that mean that the supporting player should attempt to take as much as he can? No. Does it mean that the supporting champion needs an equal number of cs to the adc they are playing with? Again, no, as the adc is the champion most likely to make kills and help press the lane. The adc is, correctly, assumed to have priority. That however does NOT mean that they should take all the cs!

Let us take into account some basic fundamentals of the game and some math. Math is fun. It helps us to know things. First, the basic fundamentals. The game is about slaying enemy champions and getting to an opponents base to win. The easiest way to achieve success in your lane is to slay your opposing champions, leaving you with ample opportunity to feed on the cs and kill towers to work your way to the ultimate goal of ravaging the enemy base. So first and foremost, if your bottom lane adc is more focused on feeding on the creep than slaying enemy champs, HE IS BEING COUNTER PRODUCTIVE AND YOU WILL LIKELY NOT HAVE A SUCCESSFUL LANE. Period. There are no if, ands, or buts when it comes to this. A support player is not going to have the ability to slay champs as well and thus the lane will basically forfeit its advantage. Does this mean that the adc should focus solely on harassment of enemy champs? No, but it should be the primary objective. Secondly, an adc that takes all the cs is hampering the ability of his supporter to SUPPORT HIM! If a support player can not improve his champ at a similar rate to the opposition and his lane mate, then he is left to be ineffective in engagements. If he lacks the money for wards, how can he place them? These things of course lead to the deaths of your lanemates, and, presumably, trolling by the idiot adc who thought he should take all the cs in the first place. This should absolutely be common knowledge. It should be assumed that in a team base RTS you need to work in conjunction with your team mates in the most efficient manner possible to achieve success. But the status quo around LoL is that one player should prevent his lane mate from helping him. Dumb, I know.

How about some math that will also make this point more clear? Lets say in an average 25 minute game that an average player may kill about 100-150 creeps. that roughly translates to about 2K gold. 2K, in 25 minutes. That is NOT a high rate. Now consider this, in the same time period a player achieving 6 or 7 kills will make roughly the same amount. Hmm, now I wonder which one of those things has the variable that can swing the biggest advantage. Let's see, creep only spawn in waves, and only so many can reach your lane for you to feed on them over the course of time. Since, the cs are on a timer, this means ONLY A FINITE NUMBER OF CS can be killed in a given period of time. It would exceptionally difficult to achieve 250 cs by 20 minutes. Practically impossible. But how many times have you seen a player with 10 kills at 15 minutes? This happens on a regular basis. So, using what we now know, which of these two situations offers the biggest advantage? Its pretty obvious isn't it? Clearly the player with 10 kills in 15 minutes has the advantage over the player with 70 cs in the same time period and no kills. EVEN IF HE HAS KILLED NO CREEP HE STILL HAS A GOLD ADVANTAGE! And as kills can be accumulated quickly with an efficient lane mate, it should be obvious that this is way to go. In an ideal set up, the adc will take about 66% of cs until minute 10 and should be able to kill the enemy champs 2 to 4 times with assists from his supporter and after minute 10 the adc should focus solely on slaying the enemy and the creation of opportunities do so. Again, the status quo prevents most players from realizing this basic and fundamental truth. I'm of the opinion that any person complaining about some one taking cs should receive a permanent ban. If you don't want your teammates to play, then you don't want to play a team game. Go play Call of Duty, or GTA, but get the HECK off my team.

The second most common misconception almost goes hand in hand with the first and is again about bottom lane. Many players believe that bottom lane is NOT for a melee adc. This is an absolutely absurd fallacy. The reality is most melee adc are hardier than the range adc counter parts. This means that when paired with a proper support champion, a melee adc and his support will actually have the advantage over the range adc and his support. Granted this is not true in all situations. A Cait and Kayle pair clearly has an advantage over a Soraka and Yi pairing. The dual range and slows and stuns should defeat them. However, the same Cait/Kayle pair is at an EXTREME disadvantage vs a Kha'zix/Taric pairing. The improved sustain and cc of Taric along with the hardiness and closing ability of Kha'zix gives this duo the CLEAR advantage. If you don't believe this try playing as, or against, a Taric/Khazix combo. (I am currently undefeated when playing as a part of this tandem in 10 games, regardless of how well or badly my other teammates played my lane dominated the entire game and usually reaches the opposing base within 15 minutes, with Kha having an average of 10 kills and Taric 10 assists) It is practically an unbeatable duo, and would require a counter pairing designed SPECIFICALLY to defeat that grouping just to have a chance.

So please, people. Let's use our brains. Let's not be afraid to try new things, and buck the standard line instead of just toeing up to it. Let's use some common sense. If you see me playing bottom lane and I'm and adc and you are my support. PLEASE for the LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY take some freaking cs. I will not mind. I will in fact, be grateful for the help, as it will allow me to harass enemy champs more, and allow you to buff up your champ faster, which will, of course, lead to dominating our lane. Let's stop with this idiocy of the current status quo and realize how many games it is costing players. Let's work together to share the bounty of cs, and get down to the business of slaying opposing champs, winning our lane, and winning a game.

That is all.

Wulfestopheles

09-29-2012

Ok, hold on, give me like 20 minutes to read the whole thing...

jaymc1130

09-29-2012

With pleasure.

Minishmaster

09-29-2012

Didn't read much, but...

Quote:
jaymc1130:

How about some math that will also make this point more clear? Lets say in an average 25 minute game that an average player may kill about 100-150 creeps. that roughly translates to about 2K gold.

Creeps have an average value much higher than 20 gold. 150 cs would probably give you about 3.5k gold, which is worth roughly 11 kills.

Verdun

09-29-2012

1. My poop doesn't stink.

2. Everyone is beneath me.

Fixed.

jaymc1130

09-29-2012

Creeps only average about 20 gold. 15-25 per kill.

jaymc1130

09-29-2012

Granted WC or Ashe allow for more.

And it was K

09-29-2012

Actually, the biggest LoL misconception is "Win lane, win game".

Durzaka

09-29-2012

The biggest problem with your "logic" is you assume too much about kills.

CS is a lot safer to assume than kills.

Given an even match, if the ADC is getting 10-12 kills by 15 minutes, something is seriously wrong with the enemy team.

You also are assuming that getting as much CS as possible as ADC, as well as poking the enemy and potentially killing them isn't possible. When in fact, that is exactly what a good ADC player will do.

No one says CS is more important that kills, you are also assuming that is the case in much of your post. CS IS more important for the ADC than the support though.

mambawarrior

09-29-2012

Quote:
jaymc1130:

Lets say in an average 25 minute game that an average player may kill about 100-150

a player with 10 kills at 15 minutes? This happens on a regular basis

What?