Matchmaking mega derp out

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orphane

09-29-2012

matches played / matches won / points are all meaningless in terms of who you are going to be matched with/against.

Tortferngatr

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSpaceNinja View Post
So I'm playing some dominion with the new champ and I notice our graves is pretty bad. I have 96 wins in dominion, so around 200 matches in total. That's a lot of hours of playing dominion and I expect to be put up against somewhat experienced players.

Now I'm looking at the DEFEAT summary and see me leading by about 300 points, and our 3/10/1 graves at the rock bottom. He did mention it was his "first dom game" and I thought he was trolling BUT he did infact have 0 wins....

I look at the enemy team and ALL of them are around my skill level (in terms of wins) and 2 of them were even above 300 wins! WOW that's a lot!

What I don't understand is why is someone completely new to dominion being teamed up with experienced players AGAINST experienced players. The queue time was 50 seconds so there was a big pool of players. It is 100% certain that this player is gonna get completely stomped and be of very little use to the team resulting in an unfair match.
Individual points don't matter on Dominion. Nexus health does. Honestly, this is a case where I think it'll help more to be patient--you also have a chance to have a complete newbie on the enemy team with the rest of your team being experienced, so it'll probably even out soon.

Join DominateDominion if you want to duo queue with people who know what they're doing, it'll help.

DiscworldDeath

09-30-2012

Ah, the smell of entitlement in the morning!

spreadfred

09-30-2012

i dont know about you, but when i've been in queue for 10 minutes, i really don't give a damn who i get matched up with. if anything, i think matchmaking is too strict.

SpatenMiinchen

09-30-2012

If matchmaking qued new players with only other new players then the wait times would be much longer. This would discourage new players from experimenting with Dominion if games took 5 minutes or more to start.

Additionally if new players are only playing against other new players, it would be difficult for them to learn about the viable metas/strategies in Dominion. I recall people being helpful in chat when I first started playing this game mode and they instructed me where to go and how to play.

If you were a player who had significantly more wins than loses then this would be a fault of matchmaking. But since you have about the same amount of wins as losses matchmaking may be inclined to introduce a new player in one of your games because it predicts the match to be balanced. As is the nature of predictions they are not perfect, but its the best place to start.