Role Selection - Premium Matchmaking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hugh Akston

09-28-2012

Foreword:

This idea of mine begins by explaining a very common idea that I have seen posted on the forums multitudes of times. Although the idea is centered around picking roles before queue, I encourage you to read the entire idea before submitting your feedback.

Part A: The Common Idea

I've seen many threads that request a role selection before queue begins. Many people, especially new players who specialize into one role, only want to play that one role or only have rune pages for that one role. So they get on the forums and demand a checkbox pre-queue for which role they want to play.

The benefits with this could include but perhaps would not be limited to a smaller caseload for the tribunal due to less trolling for single positions, not to mention less complaining and general distaste for the attitude of the League of Legends online community.

Principle Issues

(1) Riot does not determine the meta. Many people believe there is only one way to play the game, but that should not restrict people from trying new things. One should be able to try a double jungle, duo mid, roamer, and any other imaginable team composition. Unless Riot begins officiating the adc+support bot lane and ap carry mid meta, Riot will not implement a system that does not provide other options.

(2)This would likely cause longer matchmaking queues, and very possibly an increased strain on the servers. Although these don't seem like a big deal to players, any engineering student (I myself am one) understands the importance of efficiency in high flow systems. Any kind of bottleneck that is created by new options for queues can become a very serious issue.

(3) Riot does not want to encourage long-term specialization into a single role. By providing this kind of option, people would be substantially more likely to specialize into a single position, therefore ignoring much of Riot's merchandise that is available to be paid for in RP. For instance, if someone can knowingly get away with only playing mid and support with no hassle from his team ever, that person can get away with only have a few extra rune pages and will never want to play 50% of the champions in the game. Riot needs to make money guys, they are first and foremost a company selling a product, they won't create an interface that gives players less incentives to pay for the optional products.

As you can obviously see just by bulk, there are a lot more reasons why this idea can't be implemented in present form than there are reasons to implement it.

Part 2: My New Idea

I propose that we consider a version of the common idea, with some new adaptations.

(1) To prevent the designation of a team composition by Riot, instead of only having a checkbox for what role one wants to play, have an option to select what positions you want your teammates to play. For instance, if you want to go solo bot, that would be a specific option for what position you want to play. For the rest of your teams positions, you could input that you want a solo mid, solo top, and a double jungle. Or one could specify that they want a duo mid, solo top, and a jungler.

(2) I'm not a computer science major, so this issue is too far over my head for me to suggest any implementations that could reduce strain on the server or improve efficiency. Last I checked Riot hires people who know that sort of stuff. The only idea I can think of here is that fewer queue dodges due to multiple people wanting to play the same role could subtract from the added strain on the matchmaking servers.

(3) Here's where I feel like it gets a little radical. I'm assuming Riot would lose revenue from this change in the matchmaking system, whether it be from specialization or increased server costs.Therefore, I'd propose that one of a few options be implemented to make up for the said costs.
(A) Have a one time RP fee for access to the interface that allows one to pick a role for himself and roles his team before he queues.
(B) Place specific limitations on the service by either reducing it's availability depending on server loads or by setting a daily limit to how many games one can play using this matchmaking system per day. These could potentially be increased by buying "premium matchmaking" boosts in the boosts section of the store.

Benefits Specific to My 'Premium Matchmaking' Idea

(1) Diversification: Due to pre-match strategy consideration, more games would be played with other team compositions than what is considered the meta right now. People will simply be able to see that there are other options than just what they are accustomed to.

(2) Potentially unlimited additional options for new parameters for the servers to match uneven skill level teams. For instance, three people are premade, two of which are level 30 at silver, the third a level 10 real life friend. The server now can have parameters in order to attempt a match between not only another premade of the same skill level on each player, but also attempt to match the lower level player to a closer skill level opponent. Or if a level 30 at gold queues with a bronze elo friend, and the level 30 chooses mid, the matchmaking server can have a parameter to place a duo mid or bruiser mid against him in order to compensate for his higher perceived skill level. Obviously these parameters cannot be implemented in ranked, due to potentially unfairly influencing a game. However, these parameters can help to improve players skill level by always providing a competitive environment for each game they play.

Conclusion/TL;DR

A secondary matchmaking system could be implemented that allowed players to both choose what position they want to play as well as the positions that they prefer their team to play.

Hugh Akston

09-28-2012

This space for new editions or notable new relevant ideas.

Hugh Akston

09-28-2012

This space for new editions or notable new relevant ideas.

Hugh Akston

09-29-2012

Bump, give me some feedback guys.

Hugh Akston

09-29-2012

For this bump, I'll include for your enjoyment a screenshot of the worst team I've had in a long time.

Note the builds of my janna, shen, and khazix.

Hugh Akston

10-02-2012

I know I'm getting some views here, but I'd really like to see some feedback guys. Tell me what you think.

Forslund

10-02-2012

I was just about to post this idea! I think they could include it as an option when setting up for solo/duo queue. This way one would be able to choose between choosing a role to play or getting faster queue times. I think the second version of your idea would be a bit to complex so im much more for the first one since i think the pros outweights the cons. One way to solve the meta problem would be to put the 5 players that had been put together by the matchmaking system in some sort of chat lobby so everyone could explain what they wanted to do or something like that. Hope Riot takes a look at this.

Hugh Akston

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forslund View Post
I was just about to post this idea! I think they could include it as an option when setting up for solo/duo queue. This way one would be able to choose between choosing a role to play or getting faster queue times. I think the second version of your idea would be a bit to complex so im much more for the first one since i think the pros outweights the cons. One way to solve the meta problem would be to put the 5 players that had been put together by the matchmaking system in some sort of chat lobby so everyone could explain what they wanted to do or something like that. Hope Riot takes a look at this.
That's why the first version is VERY common. I've seen it posted at least a dozen times.

The complexity of the second part is the chief reason why it would be either an OPTIONAL or LIMITED system.

This would make it an opt in system with potentially longer queues for those players who either really want to find a group that is willing to try something new, or really don't want to deal with the hassle or stress of playing a role they aren't specialized to.

Perhaps the "common" meta could be determined by data collected through the system and the system could default to it. Thus removing the complexity of picking your other teammates positions.

Lithorz

10-04-2012

Bump!

Lithorz

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Akston View Post
Foreword:

This idea of mine begins by explaining a very common idea that I have seen posted on the forums multitudes of times. Although the idea is centered around picking roles before queue, I encourage you to read the entire idea before submitting your feedback.

Part A: The Common Idea

I've seen many threads that request a role selection before queue begins. Many people, especially new players who specialize into one role, only want to play that one role or only have rune pages for that one role. So they get on the forums and demand a checkbox pre-queue for which role they want to play.

The benefits with this could include but perhaps would not be limited to a smaller caseload for the tribunal due to less trolling for single positions, not to mention less complaining and general distaste for the attitude of the League of Legends online community.

Principle Issues

(1) Riot does not determine the meta. Many people believe there is only one way to play the game, but that should not restrict people from trying new things. One should be able to try a double jungle, duo mid, roamer, and any other imaginable team composition. Unless Riot begins officiating the adc+support bot lane and ap carry mid meta, Riot will not implement a system that does not provide other options.

(2)This would likely cause longer matchmaking queues, and very possibly an increased strain on the servers. Although these don't seem like a big deal to players, any engineering student (I myself am one) understands the importance of efficiency in high flow systems. Any kind of bottleneck that is created by new options for queues can become a very serious issue.

(3) Riot does not want to encourage long-term specialization into a single role. By providing this kind of option, people would be substantially more likely to specialize into a single position, therefore ignoring much of Riot's merchandise that is available to be paid for in RP. For instance, if someone can knowingly get away with only playing mid and support with no hassle from his team ever, that person can get away with only have a few extra rune pages and will never want to play 50% of the champions in the game. Riot needs to make money guys, they are first and foremost a company selling a product, they won't create an interface that gives players less incentives to pay for the optional products.

As you can obviously see just by bulk, there are a lot more reasons why this idea can't be implemented in present form than there are reasons to implement it.

Part 2: My New Idea

I propose that we consider a version of the common idea, with some new adaptations.

(1) To prevent the designation of a team composition by Riot, instead of only having a checkbox for what role one wants to play, have an option to select what positions you want your teammates to play. For instance, if you want to go solo bot, that would be a specific option for what position you want to play. For the rest of your teams positions, you could input that you want a solo mid, solo top, and a double jungle. Or one could specify that they want a duo mid, solo top, and a jungler.

(2) I'm not a computer science major, so this issue is too far over my head for me to suggest any implementations that could reduce strain on the server or improve efficiency. Last I checked Riot hires people who know that sort of stuff. The only idea I can think of here is that fewer queue dodges due to multiple people wanting to play the same role could subtract from the added strain on the matchmaking servers.

(3) Here's where I feel like it gets a little radical. I'm assuming Riot would lose revenue from this change in the matchmaking system, whether it be from specialization or increased server costs.Therefore, I'd propose that one of a few options be implemented to make up for the said costs.
(A) Have a one time RP fee for access to the interface that allows one to pick a role for himself and roles his team before he queues.
(B) Place specific limitations on the service by either reducing it's availability depending on server loads or by setting a daily limit to how many games one can play using this matchmaking system per day. These could potentially be increased by buying "premium matchmaking" boosts in the boosts section of the store.

Benefits Specific to My 'Premium Matchmaking' Idea

(1) Diversification: Due to pre-match strategy consideration, more games would be played with other team compositions than what is considered the meta right now. People will simply be able to see that there are other options than just what they are accustomed to.

(2) Potentially unlimited additional options for new parameters for the servers to match uneven skill level teams. For instance, three people are premade, two of which are level 30 at silver, the third a level 10 real life friend. The server now can have parameters in order to attempt a match between not only another premade of the same skill level on each player, but also attempt to match the lower level player to a closer skill level opponent. Or if a level 30 at gold queues with a bronze elo friend, and the level 30 chooses mid, the matchmaking server can have a parameter to place a duo mid or bruiser mid against him in order to compensate for his higher perceived skill level. Obviously these parameters cannot be implemented in ranked, due to potentially unfairly influencing a game. However, these parameters can help to improve players skill level by always providing a competitive environment for each game they play.

Conclusion/TL;DR

A secondary matchmaking system could be implemented that allowed players to both choose what position they want to play as well as the positions that they prefer their team to play.

How about a much simpler one, People with more than 500 wins are able to enter a new type of queue: Premium Queue, The 500 wins will work since people over 400 often know what they are doing and 500 will be great. Premium queue is the same but just with people of 500+ wins