Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Draft Day a good idea?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stiff Tacos

09-28-2012

I know almost all of us love draft, so it makes sense to get excited over Draft Day. But I think, overall, it could be improved.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2593003
Here's the thread about Draft Day.

Basically, for those who don't know, on Fridays, a bunch of premade teams go into draft queue to play each other. The team captains are eligible to win RP, so there is an incentive to join in.

The benefits are obvious: the world of draft Dominion is more publicized. However, I think the current system is hindering draft in the long run.

The Dominion community, while growing, is still small, and trying to have only 5queues makes matchmaking a nightmare. Many others agree with me that, often times, one team is far better than the other because the pool of teams for matchmaking to pick from is small. I think that, instead of encouraging premades to join draft, we should encourage everyone to solo queue. That way, fair teams are more likely.

Of course, that complicates how RP is given out. That's why I am making this thread - does anyone have an idea on how to incentivize solo queue draft?

note: I'm not hating on DaRatmastah. He's a swell guy (he's even dropping his own money to give away as RP). I appreciate all the effort he's already put into DDD, I'm just trying to promote discussion.

FDru

09-28-2012

But I want to wait 40 mins in queue to get premade stomped.

Ah, the good ol days.

Cottontail Teemo

09-29-2012

Every day should be draft day >.< Also yeah, some premades are just going to do really well, as the chances of being matched against a less experienced team is pretty high with the low player pool.

Orphane

09-29-2012

Everyone agrees that DDD is a good thing for the community, but yes, there are some problems with it. I don't think there are any easy solutions for purposes of organization in avoiding premades, though. Is everyone supposed to screenshot their picks/bans screen so they can prove they were playing draft? How many games would you consider as having participated, etc.

DSpyder

09-29-2012

It's a good thing. It gives a barren mode life for one day a week.

Kwynt

09-29-2012

Yea I participated in the whole event and faced issues too. The only way to fix it was to go on the DD chat and get people to get their own premades. It was just too much of a hassle.

Edit: It'll probably be a better idea to just limit it to duo queues. From what I know, I'm pretty sure duo queues still leaves matchmaking pretty healthy.

DaRatmastah

09-29-2012

Good feedback, guys, I agree, the pool of people is small enough that we might as well be doing in-house tourney draft games. I'm thinking changing the format a bit might be the way to go. The issue is just that I want to offer RP incentive to draw new people, but it's difficult to verify that people are playing draft mode unless I have every single person that plays draft mode in solo or duo send their post-game SSs to me. That's a lot of screencaps to navigate.

Any ideas?

Kiddalee

10-01-2012

I got my one premade in for the draw, but after I started solo queuing it was a mismatch every time. Making premades all night forces everyone to group up so as not to be disadvantaged. Perhaps it would be better to discourage team captains from premading with the same people multiple times. It doesn't have to be a 5-man every time, either. Orphane, I don't recall reading that I had to be with a captain more than once to get into the draw.

larkhill

10-01-2012

draft days always reminded me of those city raids from my WoW days where we'd gather as many powerful people as we could and go to an enemy city to kill as many weaker people as we could.

sure its fun for those powerful people participating, and for the powerful people that can realistically stand a chance at fighting the enemy, it presents a new and fun challenge. but for all the lesser people in the way, its annoying and really does make me want to not play dominion.

sure its fun for a high elo player to get good draft games in but for the mid elo players that sometimes get matched up with them (thank you lovely matchmaking system...), its not really fair.

the idea behind it is good. i like playing draft and i like people queuing up for it. what i dont like is the premade groups of highly skilled players terrorizing anyone that gets in their way.

DaRatmastah

10-01-2012

I wonder if we could figure out some sort of incentive system OTHER than RP... I mean, I just enjoy hanging in the dominion chat with everyone and getting draft queue pops, the premades are kind of irrelevant for me. I do feel as though this is a good outreach event though, from some feedback I've gotten. I wonder if there's some way to encourage draft solo/duo queue on a certain night that will still draw non-dominion regulars in?