Matchmaking mega derp out

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeepSpaceNinja

09-29-2012

So I'm playing some dominion with the new champ and I notice our graves is pretty bad. I have 96 wins in dominion, so around 200 matches in total. That's a lot of hours of playing dominion and I expect to be put up against somewhat experienced players.

Now I'm looking at the DEFEAT summary and see me leading by about 300 points, and our 3/10/1 graves at the rock bottom. He did mention it was his "first dom game" and I thought he was trolling BUT he did infact have 0 wins....

I look at the enemy team and ALL of them are around my skill level (in terms of wins) and 2 of them were even above 300 wins! WOW that's a lot!

What I don't understand is why is someone completely new to dominion being teamed up with experienced players AGAINST experienced players. The queue time was 50 seconds so there was a big pool of players. It is 100% certain that this player is gonna get completely stomped and be of very little use to the team resulting in an unfair match.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2012

Not many people play Dominion If you are sub lvl 30 then matchmaking will throw you with whatever is avaliable from a sub lvl 30 pool, that or you ave a negative win ratio which also takes it in account n_n. Yesterday i was duo queuing with a level 25 friend and we wre paired with a Teemo and a Hecarim that had a really advanced case of tunnel vision syndrome, Once the enemy Yi backcapped our bot and left the Alistar stayinng there to prevent our team from getting it back, both of them forgot that the other cap points existed and stayed tryng to take bot back from Alistar for THE LAST QUARTER of the match, 5 straight minutes, while we were being outnumbered and stomped at top and an enemy yi stacking zealsbackcapped the rest of the points.

eithe level up in Sr and come back at level 30, spam ops before level 30 so you get outta "i don't know what do, never gank bot and have tunnel vision Syndrom" land or endure it till 30, trust me it will be better at 30 just hang in there.

otirruborez

09-29-2012

you are matched by elo, not total wins. you said yourself you have more losses than wins, so you will see new players in your games. 0 winners would probably actually have a higher elo than you, so you just queued up at a point where not many people were playing at your range.

DeepSpaceNinja

09-29-2012

Both of you referred to my supposedly low elo. I'm level 30 and i have a few more losses than wins for dominion.

Are you saying that this system ranks a brand new 0/0 player above a player with 96/103? If so, then it is seriously flawed.

otirruborez

09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSpaceNinja View Post
Both of you referred to my supposedly low elo. I'm level 30 and i have a few more losses than wins for dominion.

Are you saying that this system ranks a brand new 0/0 player above a player with 96/103? If so, then it is seriously flawed.
if you are lower than the starting elo, yes.

for summoners rift it's 1200, not sure what it is for dominion.

if you go 5-10 for your first 15 games you are effectively lower elo than a brand new 30.

if you don't want to face new players(these new players can also be really good, so it's not all bad). then you need to either lose more, or win more.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by otirruborez View Post
if you are near the elo where 0 winners are ranked, yes.

for summoners rift it's 1200, not sure what it is for dominion.

if you go 5-10 for your first 15 games you are effectively lower elo than a brand new 30.
1150 if you chose Beginners, around 1200 if you chose Medium and 1400 if you chose Veteran when creating your summonner., so technically someone that chose Veteran and has never played Dominion has more ELo than you if you have a negative win loss ratio.

DeepSpaceNinja

09-29-2012

Then it IS seriously flawed. But I don't think that's the case because the system tries to give you a 50%/50% chance to win, thus the expected win/loss ratio is close to 50%/50% but it does not mean that a 200/200 player or even a 180/220 player is anywhere close to a 0/0 player in terms of skill.

This was shown in my game where the poor guy was completely outclassed.

otirruborez

09-29-2012

Quote:
Then it IS seriously flawed. But I don't think that's the case because the system tries to give you a 50%/50% chance to win, thus the expected win/loss ratio is close to 50%/50% but it does not mean that a 200/200 player or even a 180/220 player is anywhere close to a 0/0 player in terms of skill.

This was shown in my game where the poor guy was completely outclassed.
he has never played a game yet. it takes time to get your true elo, BUT you have to start somewhere, which is an elo close to where you're currently at.

if he was outclassed so badly he will get better and slowly rise, or he will keep doing badly and drop to an elo lower than yours and you will never see him again.

games are not matched by wins, skill, or experience. it is matched only by elo.

DeepSpaceNinja

09-29-2012

Why not just put him up against other players new to dominion.

otirruborez

09-29-2012

Quote:
Why not just put him up against other players new to dominion.
i'm sure it tries to do that, the player base just isn't there.