Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[PSA] Stop the abuse of "OP"!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JunkRamen

09-24-2010

Quote:
Rajik:
Stronger than 90% of other champs is too situational. You could have a nearly perfect balance of all champions, and some would still be 90% stronger than other champs even if it is by the tiniest of margins.
And that would make them overpowered. Balance is relative. You'd be foolish if you think champions like Morgana, Amumu, Garen, and Kog'maw are anywhere near the same level as some of the weaker ones.

Rajik

Recruiter

09-24-2010

That's your definition. Others may consider it uncounterable. Overpowered is relative. That being said, it isn't the point of this thread to argue the definition.

The purpose is to address the blatant misuse and the fact that it creeps up in pretty much every single thread in general discussion.

GeminiTroll

09-24-2010

Let's stop ragers, flamers and racist/homophobic/anti-semetic/whatever-else bigots first. Then we can work on OP.

EDIT:

Quote:
Rajik:

The purpose is to address the blatant misuse and the fact that it creeps up in pretty much every single thread in general discussion.

Every single thread? Riiiiight. 38,000 is what, a month's worth of GD threads? Maybe two? Blatant exaggerations don't help your cause.

JunkRamen

09-24-2010

Quote:
Rajik:
That's your definition. Others may consider it uncounterable. Overpowered is relative. That being said, it isn't the point of this thread to argue the definition.

That's because people think Amumu, Morgana, Garen, and Kog'maw are OP. What do you want them to say instead, "too strong?" They're not posting just to argue that Garen is just good, they're posting to argue that he is OP.

MoneyMike9

09-24-2010

This Post is highly OP, nerf it

Rajik

Recruiter

09-24-2010

Quote:
JunkRamen:
That's because people think Amumu, Morgana, Garen, and Kog'maw are OP. What do you want them to say instead, "too strong?" They're not posting just to argue that Garen is just good, they're posting to argue that he is OP.

There is a difference between actually being OP and the perception of OP...that difference is stupidity and an unwillingness to adapt. They are arguing without sound reasoning. I want them to say, "I'm having trouble with Morgana, how do I counter her?" not "Morgana is OP!!!11!! Nerf SS it has a 2:1 AP Ratio !!11!!!"

Vorvoros

09-24-2010

I agree that overpowered is a term slapped on anything one cant handle in a game, so misuse is to be expected. Theres really a thin line between op and strong and the majority of any community wont/cant recognize it. Dont sweat it though everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it has no grounds, i guess lol.

Edit: Yeah reread the original post and edited accordingly

Rajik

Recruiter

09-24-2010

I obviously realize there are two meanings to OP. Punch the stuff in google yourself, those are thread titles. Why would someone be addressing themselves, the "OP", in their own thread title?

JunkRamen

09-24-2010

Quote:
Rajik:
There is a difference between actually being OP and the perception of OP...that difference is stupidity and an unwillingness to adapt. They are arguing without sound reasoning. I want them to say, "I'm having trouble with Morgana, how do I counter her?" not "Morgana is OP!!!11!! Nerf SS it has a 2:1 AP Ratio !!11!!!"
Almost every competitive player I've spoken to or read posts from agree that those champions are top tier, which is better than most other champions. You don't become a competitive player by refusing to adapt. When the best counter to something is still a very uphill battle, that thing is probably OP.

Sasori of Krieg

09-24-2010

Calling OP got Shaco broken legs. Calling OP, well I dunno Eve and jax are still missing.