Let me tell you exactly why Sona is nothing but trouble and mistake of Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AychAychAych

09-24-2010

Let me tell you why.

So what exactly IS Sona? How do you perceive her?

Sona by design is a hero that can do pretty much everything. Damage, auras, healing, protection, escape mechanism, escaping with allies also, AoE stun. One could say that she does everything in quite average manner, that she doesn't shine much, that there is someone out there that does each focused area better. Well, such argument would be silly because it is a moot point due to how such comparision does not matter in the big picture. Sona is hard to justify because of how she is designed.

The core problem lies in her whole stance system. I don't know if Riot knows or understands the basic concept of everyday life: Equal work leads to equal reward. You work more, you get more. And in context of Sona, there is no sense to be made, no rhyme or reason. Sona is the easiest champion you could honestly create until it becomes borderline insulting. This is not Ryze easiness where you roll RWEQ on your keyboard every 40 seconds, this is even more braindead operation. After someone casts her spells about 3 times, he gets the idea how long the range of her spells are and you are done. Congratz, you just reached the skill ceiling of Sona. Free coffee and buns at the cafe.

"But wait HHH, what exactly is the problem here? Why are you so upset that hero such as Sona is so easy to play, why should you care?"
Let me tell you why. Because this is the character design I have been fighting against since forever. It is this kind of design that will mess up both balance and cause ruckus in the community. Why?

Because Sona will never be viable and balanced at the same time. It can't because such thing has not been possible, even in DotA. First of all, she is generalist AKA hero that can fulfill more and one role. She is a disabler support pusher nuker. Now to the theory. For her to be balanced, she needs to be viable. But to be balanced, she needs to be bad enough in all of her roles, so that the combined utility of all the roles she has will not overtake other people. To be balanced, she must be average. But wait, she also happens to be the single most easiest hero to play. Thus by the princible of work and reward, she must be less effective than heroes who are harder to play. So she has to be somewhere between worthless and average.

Now tell me, what kind of team will ever want to pick this balanced Sona, that happens to be somewhere between worthless and average? I do not care if the masses of unimportant regular pubs want to play her, they have never been a major part of balance. Anything is viable when it comes to pubs anyway. When is comp team gonna sacrifice a slot for a real role when they can get a one that does everything bad?

"But why can't we just have her be easy and good?"
Because then you would ruin the whole point of having hard heroes in the game. If two heroes are of equal power, but not equal in the work it takes to use them, the harder one WILL NOT BE VIABLE. This is pretty much a law we have seen countless times in DotA, it has not changed in LoL.

The moment I saw Sona, I was for day 1 remake of her.

Gizamimi

09-24-2010

QQ **** off.

Siegfryd

09-24-2010

People will eventually stop playing her because her playstyle is really dull and she can't make a bad team good.

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2010

I"ve been destroying sonas.

I really don't see her as release xin...

you can easily win...I find her pretty balanced in terms of picking sona does not = win...or nobody knows how to play her for ****.

either way, yes she's one of the best support champs, but she doesn't ensure a win like release xin did.

Yobber

09-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizamimi View Post
QQ **** off.
Excellent retort.

StretchyStretch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2010

Her damage is **** and how is she a disabler? You may have a point but I really think she is nothing more than a support. Not a pusher, not a nuker, just a support.

WelcomeToTarget

09-24-2010

She's the perfect support but doesn't have that burst heal of Taric or Soraka. She can fit into any team comp though which is why she's so great even this early released. She's not game breaking either. I've never seen a Sona be game breaking nor will she ever be. Sona can keep an entire team alive and pushing when they are at one bar of health. I've done it with my pre made with a Sona.

Griefherald

09-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AychAychAych View Post

I don't know if Riot knows or understands the basic concept of everyday life: Equal work leads to equal reward. You work more, you get more.
Wut?

HerrBatKa

09-24-2010

Games are always being balanced for highest level of play. So it doesn't really matter if given champion is hard or easy to control. Every competent player knows how to use his champion with pretty much full potential.

Kaeoz

09-24-2010

Quote:
I don't know if Riot knows or understands the basic concept of everyday life: Equal work leads to equal reward.
Life isn't LoL. Two completely different concepts. Can't import one into the other and automatically assume its justified.

Ashe is one of the easiest champs to play... but she's just as effective (slightly worse.. but not that much) than most other ranged carries.

Ezreal is harder to play EFFECTIVELY than other ranged carries.. but he's just as good as a good Tristana.