[Repost] Fiddlesticks guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PiousFlea

The Council

09-20-2009

Just went 23-7 going Mejaj -> Rylais -> Abyssal.

Rylai is not bad for Fiddle but it's also not super great. The slow proc only happens at the beginning of a spellcast, channeling Life Drain does not keep the enemy slowed. Slowing people during fear is not that useful, Dark Wind only slows for 15%, and as far as I can tell Crowstorm does not slow.

Rylai is much stronger for Annie or Veigar. Since they can cast spells and keep moving (don't have to channel) the slow gives them an oppurtunity to chase. Fiddle does not have the ability to chase, even with Rylai. Fiddle is inherently much more of a teamfight champion, and it's much better to rely on friendly snares/stuns to keep people in place while you drain their life away.

Aviados

09-21-2009

I gave it few more rounds of test matches and I'm still unsure.
You made some really valid points and gotta say that in premades , when you can count on a well placed stun from teammates Rylais is redundant.
Tho in pubs I got to say I find it very useful , every time I get chased and pop CS in the grass the slow pretty much guarantees a kill sometimes even on a 2v1 and 3v1 situations.

And while 15% doesn't sounds like a lot its enough to make sure they stay in range , Lets say the average champ has around 400~ movement with 15% that goes down to 340 , slower then fiddle with sorcerer's boots.

Think I'll keep playing around with it see which one I like better in the end.

PiousFlea

The Council

09-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviados View Post
I gave it few more rounds of test matches and I'm still unsure.
You made some really valid points and gotta say that in premades , when you can count on a well placed stun from teammates Rylais is redundant.
Tho in pubs I got to say I find it very useful , every time I get chased and pop CS in the grass the slow pretty much guarantees a kill sometimes even on a 2v1 and 3v1 situations.

And while 15% doesn't sounds like a lot its enough to make sure they stay in range , Lets say the average champ has around 400~ movement with 15% that goes down to 340 , slower then fiddle with sorcerer's boots.

Think I'll keep playing around with it see which one I like better in the end.
Being chased and popping CS in the grass will often guarantee a kill even without Rylai.

Compare the stats of Rylai's to Rod of Ages, which costs about the same:

Rod: up to 725 hp, 725 mp, and 80 AP.
Rylai: 550 hp, 80 AP, and slow

By getting Rylai, you are losing 175 HP and 725 MP just to get a slow proc. IMHO it's not that worth it. If you are concerned about survivability, Frozen Heart is infinitely better. If you are concerned about killing power it's all about Lichbane and Zhonya's. For a balance between the two the Rod wins.

Pharmacologist

09-22-2009

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on rune choices. The rest of this guide I pretty much agree with, so thank you for sharing your thoughtful post.

I personally like cooldown reduction on fiddlesticks over spell penetration. Penetration gives you more straight up damage than cooldown reduction, but cooldown reduction increases your dps some as well along with greatly enhancing your utility. Reducing the huge cooldown on crowstorm, making fear and silence more spammable, allowing you to more frequently recast drain on that pesky melee champion chasing you across the map, I find this to be more helpful than marginal extra damage.

Yes you can buy cooldown reduction with items, but I find I can get near cap with masteries + runes + codex, which is a cheap item. This leaves my gold free to buy soulstealer rod of ages etc.

Also a fun build to play if you are against a lot of physical damage is getting dodge masteries, dodge runes in yellow, and ninja tabi. Combined with the hp from items like rod of ages and his passive you can be surprisingly resilient even against farmed super-carries.

Phaerius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2009

I'm having trouble surviving as an ap sticks. Has anyone had success stacking cooldown? I tried it one game, and got my base skills to 9 and 10 second cooldowns, and a 90 second ult. I used codex and frozen heart, throw on a mejajs and zhonyas and you have my base build. pick boots and something else.

Aviados

09-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousFlea View Post
Being chased and popping CS in the grass will often guarantee a kill even without Rylai.

Compare the stats of Rylai's to Rod of Ages, which costs about the same:

Rod: up to 725 hp, 725 mp, and 80 AP.
Rylai: 550 hp, 80 AP, and slow

By getting Rylai, you are losing 175 HP and 725 MP just to get a slow proc. IMHO it's not that worth it. If you are concerned about survivability, Frozen Heart is infinitely better. If you are concerned about killing power it's all about Lichbane and Zhonya's. For a balance between the two the Rod wins.
I switched to Rod the past few days , aiming to get it at around the 25min mark and got to say overall I love it , the HP matches Ryali's HP after 5min (and keep growing till 40 min) while the added MP makes a big impact on how freely I can "spam" fear in mid game.

My build so far (after boots ofc) Soulstealer=>Abyssal/Rod (depends on team composition)=>Abyssal/Rod =>Lichbane and Zhonya's if the game drags on.
Capping just under 600AP~ on and still have decent HP and great magic resistance .
Tho I feel I still need to polish it a bit as mana regen can sometiems be a problem.

O' and Korialstrazs TBH I never really liked -CD% Fiddle , AP along side spell penetration are extremely important for fiddle.
Not to mention while CS is great its also very situational, I'd rather have an extremely powerful CS and wait for the perfect opportunity to pop it ,then a "spamable" weak one.

MaxTea

Adjudicator

09-23-2009

silversoultaker plays this guy a lot hit him up with q&a. Sad too say one of my worst legend in the game.

Pharmacologist

09-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korialstrazs View Post
I'm having trouble surviving as an ap sticks. Has anyone had success stacking cooldown? I tried it one game, and got my base skills to 9 and 10 second cooldowns, and a 90 second ult. I used codex and frozen heart, throw on a mejajs and zhonyas and you have my base build. pick boots and something else.
Honestly, I don't use the rush mejaj build if I'm in a premade or a game I care about unless I've had a good start. It can be really risky if they are running a 5 stun team. If I want to be safe, I rush rod of ages. It's hard to go wrong with it and it doesn't carry any risk. Then you can build for more AP, or if you're getting focused a lot and farming well, a second rod of ages. You just have to gauge the game you're in, how you're farming, and what kind of burst damage is coming your way. Getting survivability is nice on fiddles because it makes him much harder to kill (if the burst doesn't get you, you can fear/drain and live much longer).

RedScience

09-23-2009

thanks for the guide and the comments. i've been wrecking **** with fiddlesticks the last 2 days. i went 29/5/3 last game. I use a little different build order that's been working well for me:

sorc boots (starting with the tome at spawn)
Mejej Soulstealer
Abysmal Scepter
Lichbane
Zhonya's

if the game keeps going, i start packing on armor or a fiendish codex to help cooldowns.

but man. what an amazing champion. once I figured out how to leverage terrify and drain, no to mention the flash/crowstorm raging, i'm a mid-game machine. i usually boost dark wind straight away, but once it gets to the heavy ganking phase of the game, i end up with more kills with drain. I do love when a group of enemies are running away and manage to get a Dark Wind shot off that bounces between them and see the death notice pop up while they're off screen, though. :P

PiousFlea

The Council

09-24-2009

CD reduction fiddle is fairly bad, with the exception of Frozen Heart fiddle against a physical heavy team.

The reason for this is that Crowstorm is an "all or nothing" ult. Either you deal enough damage to get a kill, or you don't. A weak crowstorm on a 90 sec cooldown is MUCH less useful than a strong crowstorm on a 150 sec CD.

Also, major teamfights really don't happen more often than once every 150 sec.