Malzahar!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sykah

09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMongrel View Post
I don't bother with Mejais on him since he doesn't NEED it to 100-0 the people he should be targeting.

Rush Sorc Boots on first back.
Make Rylai's, prioritizing Belt.
Zhonya's to finish off the core.

Now I either pick up Void Staff if they're hard stacking MR, Lich Bane if I want more damage, or a GA if I need some more survivability. Games almost always end before I even finish this item. Sometimes I pick up Abyss, but you're not usually very close to the enemies so it's better on like Amumu, Galio, or Kaiser.
I rush Rylai's before finishing Sorc boots. I usually aim to make at least 1450g before my first b (pretty easy if the enemy is cocky) for belt/boots. Note that I start with Doran's Ring.

After that, it really depends on the enemy team. I'll usually grab Zhonya's next, though if the enemy is super heavy magic damage and I'm taking some hits, I'll grab Banshee's first.

Usually my build ends:

Rylai's
Sorc Boots
Zhonya's
Mejai's (only if I've gotten ~5 kills and no more than 2 deaths)
Banshee's
Sunfire/GA/Thornmail (depends what the other team is like, really)
Probably another defensive item if I didn't grab Mejai's.

Edit: Start every game with /all MALZAHAR!

SlackWareWolf

09-23-2010

I do this:

First I buy Shoes. He's slow, and that helps.

Once I've gotten some gold, I upgrade that to Sorcerer's Shoes. This way I've got more Magic Pen.

I have these Runes:

My Marks are all Magic Pen, and my Seals are Cooldown, and my Glyphs are AP, and the Quintessences, all 3 are Magic Pen.

Once the shoes are done, I get Arch Angel's Staff, and then get DFG, and start working on something else. Zhonya's Ring and Nashor's Tooth even can work. DO NOT get Void Staff though. It's totally not worth it. The AP is good but the Magic Pen doesn't stack at all since it's Unique. So don't even bother. Get Rylai's Crystal Scepter instead. Better AP + Health.

Basically I get AP and Mana stuff since he gets REALLY Mana Hungry. Once you've gotten all this stuff, you'll be good to go.

Masteries are basically this:

11/0/19

Magic Pen and AP are basically what you want.

Sykah

09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackWareWolf View Post
I do this:

First I buy Shoes. He's slow, and that helps.

Once I've gotten some gold, I upgrade that to Sorcerer's Shoes. This way I've got more Magic Pen.

I have these Runes:

My Marks are all Magic Pen, and my Seals are Cooldown, and my Glyphs are AP, and the Quintessences, all 3 are Magic Pen.

Once the shoes are done, I get Arch Angel's Staff, and then get DFG, and start working on something else. Zhonya's Ring and Nashor's Tooth even can work. DO NOT get Void Staff though. It's totally not worth it. The AP is good but the Magic Pen doesn't stack at all since it's Unique. So don't even bother. Get Rylai's Crystal Scepter instead. Better AP + Health.

Basically I get AP and Mana stuff since he gets REALLY Mana Hungry. Once you've gotten all this stuff, you'll be good to go.

Masteries are basically this:

11/0/19

Magic Pen and AP are basically what you want.
You're going to be reeeeeally squishy without any health from the beginning. He's not all that mana hungry unless you're continuously spamming his abilities. You really don't want to be doing that.

astronomy

09-23-2010

Doran's Ring.
Mejais
Sorc Shoes
Zhonyas
Void Staff
Banshees/Frozen Heart
Sell Ring, pick up something of your choice. Rylais works. Another tanky item is probably best, though.

Foodtime

09-23-2010

playing malz? what am i reading?

Hematic

09-24-2010

For normal queue I usually go:

Mana crystal - catalyst. Helps keep your health and mana up.
Then I usually get boots of mobility for zooting around and ganking.
Then mejas is a must. You really shouldn't be dying a lot with malz.
Zonyas: active will help you stay alive a lot.

That's my core build with archangels or void staff if they are stacking mr, and later once you are levelled upgrade catalyst to banshees (if they have lots of ap) or deathfire for helping get tanks down.

Death is extremely rare in normal games. Golem is a must just spam spells, get out rinse and repeat.

Fairyland

09-24-2010

I always get maji's as my first item. Malz ulti scales just too well with AP and is a very dominate mid laner. kill mid once or twice, get a few stacks and go off to 1 shot players in other lanes early game. If the game goes on for too long, yeah your damage output drops, but early-mid game he can easily score a penta kill if he has the mana.

My build every match (you can look at my malz match history) for easy 20-0 streaks is Maji, sorc boots, Zyonias, Arcangel, Rylais. If you have the gold since malz is an insane farmer, I get void staff if they're tanky, or another archangel.

He is squishy, but he has range, and lots of it. I use ghost and ignite for best kiting/burst results.