Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saerys

09-28-2012

My Solution: ;o

If you're gonna make them butch. At least make them fancy.

Kittyrina

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, because everyone has an opinion on art and it differs. The opinion on whether people like this or not is scattered, where the old one was a mess objectively from an art standpoint :P

I'm only here to comment on the face icon problem; not opinions either way on the splash. Not only do I not know enough about art to explain anything in-depth, but I also don't really have interest in that subject. This argument will be a bunch of subjective statements thrown around, which in and of itself will drive me to drink.
This seems like a good spot to suggest (again) a feature that lets players -choose- which artwork to display.

Currently, the skins menu goes left to right to select which skin you want.

Add a feature that once a skin is selected, you can go up and down to select between the various splashes for that skin. Some of them just might be North American versus Chinese splash. Others, like Lux or Morgana, might have multiple splash screens that could be selected from.

Joebags

09-28-2012

Yes plz.

Malrock3

09-28-2012

Quote:
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.

Please look at morgana too she has the same problem.... icon face = awful splash = just fine.

Bendial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

Totally, 10000000000000% agree with this post.

Riot found a new art director

iZallen

09-28-2012

would look better.

Malrock3

09-28-2012

Quote:
No, because everyone has an opinion on art and it differs. The opinion on whether people like this or not is scattered, where the old one was a mess objectively from an art standpoint :P

I'm only here to comment on the face icon problem; not opinions either way on the splash. Not only do I not know enough about art to explain anything in-depth, but I also don't really have interest in that subject. This argument will be a bunch of subjective statements thrown around, which in and of itself will drive me to drink.
What is your preferred drink when you are driven to drink?

Nixzilla

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

Its great that you did this I had thought to my self that the splash was amazing but the map icon just looked wrong i guess it was indeed that it was to zoomed in.

MrTerrible123

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
Ok...I LIKE THE ART. Its very well done, but it doesn't really match League's other art, I do have a feeling that'll change, so that point is moot.

However, Lux's Face Icon just TERRIBLE! Its nothing but a focus on her forehead and its really heavy near the bottom.

SOLUTION: Just Zoom it out a little bit, show some of her hair to frame her face better, its really off-putting at the moment. Really easy and a small change that would just look much better, and even adds more character.

Image 1 is the current way and image 2 is just cropped with more information.
EDIT: I actually noticed that this way will work better with the circle icon on the minimap as well. ^_^

Please bump and upvote this if you support this small but dramatic change.

Attachment 532855Attachment 532857
By popular request, same treatment.
Attachment 533256Attachment 533257

EDIT:
@9 hours A large response in a very short time ~500 views with ~50 upvotes
@11 hours Morello has entered the building!!
@11 hours ~1800 views 100+ upvotes! Thanks for so much support from everyone ^_^
Added Morgana due to popular request
@14 hours 9000 views 162 upvotes, was hoping IronStylus was going to chime in

This is awesome...could you do something with Miss Fortune's icon? It seems to suffer from the same ailment.

Bob Buh

09-28-2012

Some one did this i think its one step on the right direction.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2620506