Clawing Up From the 3rd Layer of Elo Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Just A Game Brah

09-27-2012

TL;DR - Climbed from 500 elo to 800 elo playing Udyr. Climbed from 800 elo to high 900 elo (but now falling) playing Jarvan. Who to play next?

Inspired by: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=292682

Started playing in February (2012). Jumped into ranked as soon as I hit 30 with probably only ~150 normal games under my belt (bad idea!). Fell all the way to maybe 500 elo, first by playing all the 0-for/1-for/2-for-x champs in my profile (http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/2...2#ranked-stats), then by reading some forums and guides and playing the supposed "safe" picks (Cait/Irelia/Leona).

Then I read that you need to play mid or jungle to carry. Switched to jungle and picked another "safe" pick (Udyr), and it worked well. Climbed back into the 800's on good'ol man-bear-pig's back, and largely enjoyed paying him.

Then came problems. Enemies started warding and looking at minimaps (no gap closer), and allies started expecting me to be a bearstunbot in teamfights (no fun), so I switched to Jarvan (no reason - just that every time I ran into a Jarvan, he owned).

I love playing Jarvan. Smooth, (feels) powerful and reasonably mobile. Love the kit. Mostly jungle, frequently support and occassionally top. Probably do best as support (similar kit as Leona, but not reliant on others for the kill), then jungle, then top (though something clicked last night, and I think I might have turned the corner on top lane mechanics).

However, I might have reached my "true elo" when it comes to Jarvan. What do?

1. Play more Jarvan support (possibly that'll net me more wins, but I just hate being at the mercy of other lanes in this elo).

2. As a firm believer in when you can either blame the equipment or blame your skills, take the easier way out...stop playing Jarvan and play someone else.

3. Improve jungle mechanics (not mutually exclusive with #2). But I'm bad at keeping timers.

4. Learn mid (I'm a combined 2-6 in mid over 350+ ranked games, lol).

5. Get used to it (this elo is really not fun though - every other game is being paired with 2 or more newbies who have 2 wins 12 losses (and think it's just bad luck)).

6. Play bots.

7. Uninstall.

Goal is try to claw my way to silver (which is just 300 elo away) if at all possible. But right now I'm stuck (and losing elo because I win games I'm suppose to win and lose games I'm suppose to lose, which results in net elo loss).

Limitations -

a. White collar executive with very long work hours and young kids at home. So "practice" or "watch more streams" is not really an option.

b. Older player. Bad reflexes (might not have to do with age - was pretty pro at SF2 and SF2 CE but couldn't keep up with SF2 Turbo, and that was 20 years ago). Jarvan's kit is probably the limit for how many simultaneous calculations I can handle.

c. Can't "don't play on the weekends" or "dodge if queue is bad". See limitation "a" above.

So, interested in others' thoughts/experiences on how to resume the climb, if at all possible. In my case, I definitely experienced an elo band where one champion is useful (given my skill limitations) but became limiting in the next elo band.

Tried Lee Sin. Can't keep up with his kit (same can be said for Akali, Diana and Talon). Considering taking up Amumu, Xin, Olaf, Jax or Graves (still no idea as to mid).

Just A Game Brah

09-27-2012

Is MOAR AOE (damage + cc) the answer? Someone with Jarvan's gap closer and Udyr's pheonix?

Has the answer been right in plain sight all this time...AMUMU?!!

(maybe I should pick up Zyra as well)

Bravest Leader

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2012

the answer is to master 1-3 champions. quit switching around. if you are good you can carry with pre rework eve in 900 elo. Master a champion and the skills around it. especially since you say you have less time to learn you don't want to keep trying to learn new things.

LarcyBrown

09-28-2012

Jarvan eh.........Try Brand if you need a mid champion.I personally think that jarvan combo is super faceroll to execute so...same thing with brand his combo really is faceroll to execute properly.Try him as a mid champion you should get to 1100 maybe...

Cerebralbore101

09-30-2012

Don't play solo que. You can't carry your way out of a game if three of your teammates suck horribly, which is often the case below 1200 elo.

CrusherCake

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by crage View Post
Is MOAR AOE (damage + cc) the answer? Someone with Jarvan's gap closer and Udyr's pheonix?

Has the answer been right in plain sight all this time...AMUMU?!!

(maybe I should pick up Zyra as well)
Dude, i was in the 800's aswell, now im in the 1500's. The one who carried me? AMUMU!

He is a great jungle, and a real strong pick late-game, you build real tanky, and get AP DPS and its gg.