Sling Shot Hypothesis

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Shrink

09-26-2012

I've been thinking about ELO hell and ways to escape its clutches and I've come up with an idea that may be worth testing.

Note, the actions necessary to use the sling shot theory may not be up to par with summoners code so use at your own discretion.

The idea is to intentionally lose a few ranked games so that you are in an ELO lower than where you initially were (the point that you can win easily).
Then just start winning.

My hopes are that with the sudden burst of winnings the computer will boost you up to a level far above where you were thus reducing the number of trolls, afks, and baddies significantly. Which would ultimately increasing your chances of winning.

So, am I a crackpot or is this plausible?

Aureline

09-26-2012

I don't think that's how ELO works. Is it?

The Shrink

09-26-2012

Well if you win a lot in a row you will get placed against much better players. I know this from experience.
Your ELO wont change significantly as far as numbers but the game will.

Dylanholiday

09-26-2012

Yeah... My friend tried this, and he got himself to about... 900 ELO, and he was a much better player than me, which isn't saying much, but it's definitely above that ELO in level. If you get past the trolls and everything, you'll win those games pretty hard...

The only problem is that the first few games mean a lot to Riot's rating system, so you better have a low enough ELO already, that you don't care if you lose it.

The ELO bonus you get after getting that low can be next to nothing though, and your ELO could take hundreds of games, where you win the majority, to get into the mid thousands...

It's really iffy, and then there's the fact that the people in the games are actually trying to play.

Don't become one of the trolls that you're trying to avoid, please.

dead robit

09-26-2012

the only thing i see this benefiting is... if you get on a massive winning streak and your attitude improves dramatically. and affects others. you are more likely to win games than if you had on e one lost one won one lost one over and over just because you are a more pleasant player as a result of the win streak. want to know how to escape elo hell. positive reinforcement communication and attitude towards your team

JRiMi

09-26-2012

Shake n Bake baby. Slingshot engaged!

PrfsrChaos

09-27-2012

This is no knock on players struggling with ELO hell...

but maybe that difficulty is a lack of having good game mechanics/knowing how to play the game and your characters really really really well.

I dunno, I've been really really really taking my time holding off playing too many ranked games because honestly, I know there are things that I need to work on and I'd rather improve those first then try and force ranked games down my throat and learn on the fly.

Obviously since I haven't been doing too much ranked gamingness I can't really speak for the experience of the dreaded ELO hell...but a lot of the complaints I seem to hear from other players is that many many players get into the ranked scene too early without good game mechanics and that destroys the experience for everyone.

I personally have been attempting to get to a point where when I do start going hard core into Ranked games that I'm not pulling my team down because I only kinda know my champ, or am missing something important in my fundamental gameplay (warding, last hitting, etc. ), or I'm unable to really play whatever role I end up in.

It may be overkill on my part, but I feel I'm hoping in the long run I'll avoid a lot of the ELO Hell stress that many players seem to have.

DDRfatkid

09-27-2012

Anecdotal bro-science so take it as you will. But I was stuck around 1300 for about 500 games. I dropped down to like 950 it didn't seem to matter how well I farmed, won my lane or supported I would always lose. So I played about 200-300 normal games, got really good at every 'role' so to speak. When I started re-queuing ranked I had AFK'ers, trolls, intentional feeders (0-32 GP) etc. But I won 5-6 in a row and haven't had issues since (think i'm 1350 now on a multiple game streak) I know I'm not out of ELO hell by technical terms, but i've won almost every ranked I've played since those original few wins and haven't had any of the previous issues.

The Shrink

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrfsrChaos View Post
This is no knock on players struggling with ELO hell...

but maybe that difficulty is a lack of having good game mechanics/knowing how to play the game and your characters really really really well.

I dunno, I've been really really really taking my time holding off playing too many ranked games because honestly, I know there are things that I need to work on and I'd rather improve those first then try and force ranked games down my throat and learn on the fly.

Obviously since I haven't been doing too much ranked gamingness I can't really speak for the experience of the dreaded ELO hell...but a lot of the complaints I seem to hear from other players is that many many players get into the ranked scene too early without good game mechanics and that destroys the experience for everyone.

I personally have been attempting to get to a point where when I do start going hard core into Ranked games that I'm not pulling my team down because I only kinda know my champ, or am missing something important in my fundamental gameplay (warding, last hitting, etc. ), or I'm unable to really play whatever role I end up in.

It may be overkill on my part, but I feel I'm hoping in the long run I'll avoid a lot of the ELO Hell stress that many players seem to have.

Thats not the point of the post.