Personal Advice:: Ziggs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Robbiewinkle

09-25-2012

Hello LoL friends!

I recently loaded up the game to play with a friend, and after looking through many of the champions I decided to pick up Ziggs for personality reasons. I know, that's a silly reason to grab a champion in a game like this, but it's what I went with.

Anyway though, as I'm new at the game, I was wondering if there were any MUST HAVE tips to play this character effectively? I've played a few bot matches and realized that timing and direction on his skills is incredibly important, and I'm getting much better at it pretty quickly, so that's a given. I more mean things like... rune specs, best spells to pick up, best items to pick up early on, etc.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

BMoneySJU

09-25-2012

Ziggs is the type of champion who would usually play mid solo lane. Most mage champions (AP carries and whatnot) tend to play mid. Ziggs is also a good mid because his long-range, powerful ult is a kind of semi-gank.

As you get higher ranked, you will see that people start with boots and potions - I like 2 health 1 mana; the reason for this is so that you can position your own skills, which for Ziggs are all skillshot-type skills. You should start with boots to position your bomb, your bomb field and your pop-up bomb.

Generally, you would start with boots and at your first recall you should aim to get Doran's Ring. Ziggs players tend to go with raw AP early on, so you could consider getting some sort of sustain item, or you could go for AP. This would include Blasting Rod, Needlessly Large rod, etc... look for builds online, my favorite is mobafire: http://www.mobafire.com/ -- you should just search in Google 'Ziggs build LoL' and pick a mobafire build, then go to the highest rated build.

I'm looking at the current top rated guide, it suggests to go with Doran's Ring first, get another, boots, Hextech Revolver, Sorcerer's Shoes, Needlessly Large Rod, Giant's Belt, Rabadon's Deathcap... etc. Take a look.

Hope this helps.

mdiaz28

09-25-2012

I wouldn't worry about runes till 30 save up ip till then. Tier one and tier two runes are pretty minute and you will never use then when your thirty. Save by a few cheap champs. I used to use him a lot. Learning to skill shoot is a must with him. Time that third bounce well and your satchel is important to keep in sticky situations. A nicely placed satchel does winners offensively and defensively. Build i remember going two Durands and then boots our vice versa. I forget the rest but cooldowns and magic Penn and a roa isn't horrible. There are great build ideas at mobafire if you wanna learn more

Robbiewinkle

09-25-2012

Thanks to you both! I shall definitely look at mobafire and keep all this in mind. I was playing around with items earlier and it did seem like boots were really nice off the bat.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiaz28 View Post
I wouldn't worry about runes till 30 save up ip till then. Tier one and tier two runes are pretty minute and you will never use then when your thirty. Save by a few cheap champs. I used to use him a lot. Learning to skill shoot is a must with him. Time that third bounce well and your satchel is important to keep in sticky situations. A nicely placed satchel does winners offensively and defensively. Build i remember going two Durands and then boots our vice versa. I forget the rest but cooldowns and magic Penn and a roa isn't horrible. There are great build ideas at mobafire if you wanna learn more
Tier 3's are available at lvl 20.

Nesious

09-26-2012

Since I'd rather keep this short, instead of my usual wall of text, ill summarize. Basically, don't worry about Runes until lvl 20, Tier 3 Runes are the best by FAR, the other tiers are pretty rubbish. But, if you truly want a Rune Spec:
Marks: Marks of Insight
Seals: Seals of Clarity
Glyphs: Glyphs of Force
Quints: Quints of Potency

Masteries, since you just started, probably aren't relevant, but, if you can remember it, go 21/0/9, Picking up Summoners Wrath in the Offense Tree, then going down the AP side to Executioner, Then getting Summoners ________ In the Utility Tree, getting mana and mana regen, getting improved recall, and Runic Affinity.

Basic Skilling Order: Q W E Q, Max R at 6, 11, and 16, Maxing Q first, E second, and W last.

Build Orders: Depends, since you are a very low level, getting a Dorans Ring might be beneficial to get the extra AP, health, and Mana Regen, due to lack of Runes and Masteries. Other then that, going Boots 3x is standard. Whichever Route you go, follow this build (this is a general build, but there are ofc times where you will need to get other items, Ex) If you get stomped by the enemy mid, or their team is 2-5 AP Champions, getting an Abyssal Scepter early would be rather beneficial).

Boots/Dorans -> Dorans, Dorans (assuming you bought boots, if went Dorans first, just get 1 extra Dorans) -> Sorcerer's Shoes -> Kage's Lucky Pick -> Chalice of Harmony -> Rabadon's Deathcap (Kage's or Chalice can be skipped for Deathcap if money is all over the ground) -> Athene's Unholy Grail -> Zhonyas/Guardian Angel (if getting focused)/Void Staff (If they have 100+ Magic Resist on 2-5 champs) -> Rylais otherwise -> Get whichever items you didn't get before, based on situations. Finish off your build with Elixirs of Brilliance and Elixirs of Fortitude.

General Gameplay Tips: Abuse your passive to harass when it is up, and do not spam too much early-mid game, as you WILL run out of mana fairly quickly. Save your W for escaping fights, or use it to push enemies backwards or forwards, depending on the situation (chasing, or running). I recommend Flash and Ignite (If you aren't high enough level Ghost and Exhaust/Heal would suffice). Remember your W knocks you away different distances, and for different amounts of time, depending on the distance between you on the Area of Effect, and the Dynamite Pack. Use your E to help set up your W and Q, and use it to discourage people from going somewhere (this is called "zoning"). Your ultimate has quite some range, have good map awareness, and if you don't need it at that moment, go help another lane, if you can't fully roam to their lane, tell them to fight, and use your ult to help them, hopefully picking up some kills and assists for you are your team.

Anyway, thats really it, anything else is really from experience, playstyle, and of general knowledge via testing different things. Ex) Which walls your W can launch you through, or at which points or areas they can do so. How long the ult takes to land from Point A to Point B, and many other things.

Good Luck On The Fields of Justice, Summoner.
-Nesious

Nesious

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesious View Post
Since I'd rather keep this short, instead of my usual wall of text, ill summarize. Basically, don't worry about Runes until lvl 20, Tier 3 Runes are the best by FAR, the other tiers are pretty rubbish. But, if you truly want a Rune Spec:
Marks: Marks of Insight
Seals: Seals of Clarity
Glyphs: Glyphs of Force
Quints: Quints of Potency

Masteries, since you just started, probably aren't relevant, but, if you can remember it, go 21/0/9, Picking up Summoners Wrath in the Offense Tree, then going down the AP side to Executioner, Then getting Summoners ________ In the Utility Tree, getting mana and mana regen, getting improved recall, and Runic Affinity.

Basic Skilling Order: Q W E Q, Max R at 6, 11, and 16, Maxing Q first, E second, and W last.

Build Orders: Depends, since you are a very low level, getting a Dorans Ring might be beneficial to get the extra AP, health, and Mana Regen, due to lack of Runes and Masteries. Other then that, going Boots 3x is standard. Whichever Route you go, follow this build (this is a general build, but there are ofc times where you will need to get other items, Ex) If you get stomped by the enemy mid, or their team is 2-5 AP Champions, getting an Abyssal Scepter early would be rather beneficial).

Boots/Dorans -> Dorans, Dorans (assuming you bought boots, if went Dorans first, just get 1 extra Dorans) -> Sorcerer's Shoes -> Kage's Lucky Pick -> Chalice of Harmony -> Rabadon's Deathcap (Kage's or Chalice can be skipped for Deathcap if money is all over the ground) -> Athene's Unholy Grail -> Zhonyas/Guardian Angel (if getting focused)/Void Staff (If they have 100+ Magic Resist on 2-5 champs) -> Rylais otherwise -> Get whichever items you didn't get before, based on situations. Finish off your build with Elixirs of Brilliance and Elixirs of Fortitude.

General Gameplay Tips: Abuse your passive to harass when it is up, and do not spam too much early-mid game, as you WILL run out of mana fairly quickly. Save your W for escaping fights, or use it to push enemies backwards or forwards, depending on the situation (chasing, or running). I recommend Flash and Ignite (If you aren't high enough level Ghost and Exhaust/Heal would suffice). Remember your W knocks you away different distances, and for different amounts of time, depending on the distance between you on the Area of Effect, and the Dynamite Pack. Use your E to help set up your W and Q, and use it to discourage people from going somewhere (this is called "zoning"). Your ultimate has quite some range, have good map awareness, and if you don't need it at that moment, go help another lane, if you can't fully roam to their lane, tell them to fight, and use your ult to help them, hopefully picking up some kills and assists for you are your team.

Anyway, thats really it, anything else is really from experience, playstyle, and of general knowledge via testing different things. Ex) Which walls your W can launch you through, or at which points or areas they can do so. How long the ult takes to land from Point A to Point B, and many other things.

Good Luck On The Fields of Justice, Summoner.
-Nesious
Also, don't forget that your passive scales, and the CD goes down every time you use an ability. Therefore, do not forget that a viable way to increase burst damage is to auto attack before and after using abilities. A good way to get used to this is to buy a Lich Bane, so you are constantly reminded to Auto Attack (glowing hands). Lich Bane is viable on Ziggs, so if you feel like building that, thats fine as well.