Trying to build Syndra, could use help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Terry Atken

09-25-2012

It didn't work well.
21/9/0
Mpen Reds, Flat Armor Yellows, AP level blues, Flat AP Quints
Prospectors Ring, boots, 2 boots.

That's what I tried on her at first, and I found out that she has terrible mana issues, and needs CDR. Then I realized I couldn't build offensive at all because she dies really quickly, and her stun / push back is really finicky. Her ratios seem bad compared to say, Brand, who brings almost what she brings to the table.

In that game I ended up doing the default emergency mode of buying nothing but health and resistances to try to scrap together a game. Ended up with a Abyss, Warden (!), Grail and Scepter

I don't know how her base damage is like. I'm going to try tanky mpen. Mpen reds, mana per level yellows, flat cdr blues, mpen quints. 9/21/0. Ring, sorc, haunting, frozen heart, abyss, ryails. I should get 38% CDR with that. I'm thinking the mp5 yellows w/ ring will fix her mana issues, but she still might need a grail.

I've been leveling Q -> E -> W. Might do Q -> W -> E, though by the time I max W, I might already have a crystal scepter and might not need the additional slow.

Any advice?

Edit: Note, I'm trying her top for this. Bot, I'd probably replace the prospectors ring with a roa.

Terry Atken

09-25-2012

Just tried tanky mpen.

Did much better then with flat out AP. 9/21/0.
Mpen runes, armor yellows, mr scaling glyphs, mpen quints
9/21/0
Prospectors Ring -> Sorcs -> Haunting Guise -> Nega / Chainmail -> Glacial / Frozen - > Abyss. Then either a Scepter, or a Voidstaff.

The glacial somewhat helps with her mana problems and provides cdr. She does okay damage with no AP. I leveled up Q then W, with E for last. I'm going to try with flat CDR blues and mana regen yellows to see if thats a better route. Even with a frozen heart, I still run out of mana really fast. The CDR compounds the problem.

If she still has mana issues with a ring + scaling mp5 yellows, then I have no idea what to say.

Still could use some help though. Also, her E stun is really dumb. It doesnt seem to stun if it pushes people back, even if the ball hits them when they get pushed back. Also the cone is annoying.

emctwo

09-25-2012

Her kit just isn't good at all. They buffed her damage on the PBE (testing server), but Riot concluded that she needed more than just a damage buff. They will be testing more buffs for her soon. Until then, she's just really bad.

Her one saving grace is that she does a lot of base damage on her ult, so you'd think tanky mpen or tanky cdr would be wonderful, but her ult doesn't do the damage instantly. It's a hidden channeled spell, so it takes a while to do the full damage, during which time you can be killed or stunned or silenced or anything at all, and her ultimate will end before unleashing all the balls.

She just suffers from design flaws, but they're working on her.

HaIfhearted

09-25-2012

Right now Syndra is just in an extremely bad spot.

Her base damages are terrible, her ratios are not enough to compensate for this fact even if you *do* build glass cannon, and other APs bring the same or more utility that she does, but with higher damage and ease of use.

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2012

I just want them to remake her to where you can have unlimited bubbles, and just build max cdr and fill the lane with pretty bubbles! But yeah, I don't think i've seen a single syndra do well. If you build tanky cdr like most mages on dominion, then you don't output enough damage to be relevant as say, brand or ryze, or heck even annie. I'm sure there are builds that will allow her to do ok, but I think there are champs that are in much better places at the moment.

NavyGothic

09-25-2012

Biggest problem I have with Syndra is that her kit looks great on paper (low cooldown AOE nuke, slow, knockback, long range stun)... but it feels incredibly clumsy to actually play.

She feels a little like Zyra in that you're meant to combo your spells together for maximum effect; but Zyra's combos flow naturally while Syndra's just feel awkward.

lbgsloan

09-25-2012

Heh, it's funny you bring up Zyra since I picked up Syndra on release, tried to make her work, failed like everyone else, and then jumped at the refund option and picked up Zyra instead. Zyradinger's kit is just ten times better designed as a keep away/defensive type mage, and she's one of the rare non-support mages who works extremely well top on Dominion.

But yeah, usually when a new release has their first freeweek they're in every damn Dominion game for at least a couple days. Nobody is running Syndra, even in bot games. The only other time I can remember that was Xerath.

butler22

09-25-2012

I'm 4 for 4 now with syndra, I've been running her bottom and so far have been against a Mordekaiser, 2 Jax's and a Lux.

I seem to be able to stalemate it very well and with a gank every now and then can easily kill the enemy.
Starting with Rod of Ages(catalyst first), and then Athene's solves both hp and mana issues and cdr. Next item is dependent on enemy lineup, but giant belt is a good place to start for the extra hp.

I've been doing 9/21/0, with flat mpen marks, ap/lvl seals, flat cdr glyphs, and flat ap quints. (Running revive and exhaust for spells)
Still haven't been against a jayce or yorick, but with a few levels I think I could hold them off too.

You definitely have to keep your E up for gap closers, but even with moderate casting I've been able to keep my mana up with my cdr. The key so far has been to keep extreme distance away. I've been pre-casting my Q, picking it up and throwing it in the middle of the pack, and then casting Q again and this usually kills the whole creep wave. Using her own range has kept me out of harassing range.

Any suggestions for my build? I really like playing her and would love to improve.

Sykomyke

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler22 View Post
I'm 4 for 4 now with syndra, I've been running her bottom and so far have been against a Mordekaiser, 2 Jax's and a Lux.

I seem to be able to stalemate it very well and with a gank every now and then can easily kill the enemy.
Starting with Rod of Ages(catalyst first), and then Athene's solves both hp and mana issues and cdr. Next item is dependent on enemy lineup, but giant belt is a good place to start for the extra hp.

I've been doing 9/21/0, with flat mpen marks, ap/lvl seals, flat cdr glyphs, and flat ap quints. (Running revive and exhaust for spells)
Still haven't been against a jayce or yorick, but with a few levels I think I could hold them off too.

You definitely have to keep your E up for gap closers, but even with moderate casting I've been able to keep my mana up with my cdr. The key so far has been to keep extreme distance away. I've been pre-casting my Q, picking it up and throwing it in the middle of the pack, and then casting Q again and this usually kills the whole creep wave. Using her own range has kept me out of harassing range.

Any suggestions for my build? I really like playing her and would love to improve.
To be fair I think Athen's is almost required on her for her mana issues so she can spam Q. However, Athene+RoA is an expensive early game that forces you to go RoA first so you can maximize it's growths. That means you won't have any early CDR unless you go for Ionian boots. I think a better item build that is less dependant on such an expensive and forced item progression (which other players can and WILL exploit) is this...

Prospector's Ring & Boots-->Chalice or Codex-->Athene-->Rylais
At that point item deviation that is best would either be Void Staff or Abyssal depending on the enemy and other factors (like if you are facing Diana bottom then get Abyssal, if you are facing someone like ....tanky Morgana or tanky Soraka then go with void staff).

Don't get me wrong, I think RoA is great, but it's just such an expensive item that you delay a lot of other items by rushing it.

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-26-2012

Syndra's Kit is extremely powerful. I had the chance to play her last night, and she reminds me of Orianna in that her cast animations have 0 frames(i.e. she doesnt stop to cast anything). This allows her to kite extremely well. I also want to say that people are maxing the wrong spell first. Try maxing W first since it has better damage and range. If you take her bot this allows you to harass from a far and safe distance.

Item wise: Ring>Athene's>Rylai's is fairly core to her as you need the CDR, mana regen, and AP/slow to be effective. Wardens will help you kite Autoers and Void Staff helps punch through MR.

Runes: Mpen reds for damage, Mana Regen yellows to go with Athenes, CDR blues and MS quints to help cast/Kite.

I think Riot really needs to be careful with her buffs. She "feels" weak, but that kit is just amazing and fun.