The good and the bad of GW2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

badcookie

09-24-2012

The good: Large explorable world with multiple, challenging events. Large, long, challenging dungeons. Interesting crafting. XP gains from everything, no fighting for nodes or finding groups for common pve fields. Large selection of class/race combos. No monthly fee

The bad: In GW1 pve maps were challenging. If you wanted to get to something it was a fight, in GW2 typically, the map is a walk in the park, except for events which require a bit more ingenuity. Instead of a lvl 20 cap, which took awhile to reach, you have lvl 80, which means a LOT of clearing out areas to reach the cap, so you can access top tier gear. That means a LOT of boring casual pve. You can join multiple guilds but when you clear an event or gain influence for one, the others dont reap the reward. Youd think this would be a good thing but as a guild leader, its not. The skill system, while not entirely flawed, isnt as much fun as choosing 8 skills which you access. The way its set up you cant customize them as well. Also, necros are reaaaaally weak if you focus on minion master.

The game is still worth buying and playing, but my major sticking point, that the pve is too easy, makes lvling to 80 seem like a chore.

Lance Eliot

09-24-2012

I have to agree with everything except the PvE being too easy. They hit the difficulty pretty spot-on with it and, if anything, underwater areas and Orr could use reductions in enemy density because these areas currently leave little kiting room.

Your profession of choice could have a lot to do with it. A Mesmer or Elementalist is a lot more challenging in PvE than a Warrior or Guardian. THAT SAID, a Hard Mode Personal Story and Hard Mode dungeons could be an awesome future inclusion.

And yes, Necromancers do need tweaks. Badly.

I hope they add new weapons to bring more variety into the game, because the current system really doesn't encourage longevity. Make it so that every class can wield every weapon (differently, of course), and then add some more. If skill bars are pre-sets, there need to be more of them.

badcookie

09-24-2012

oh your post reminded me that another good point of GW2 is that they didnt employ the usualy mob every ten paces mindset. mobs roam around sometimes solo, sometimes in packs. its more realistc than them just sitting there waiting to be farmed off one by one

Lance Eliot

09-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcookie View Post
oh your post reminded me that another good point of GW2 is that they didnt employ the usualy mob every ten paces mindset. mobs roam around sometimes solo, sometimes in packs. its more realistc than them just sitting there waiting to be farmed off one by one
Unfortunately Orr has a lot of stationary mobs (it has some mobile ones though). I mean, it makes sense in context, given that the mobs are zombies. Orr is just lame in general. :/